E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Help needed trouble-shooting "Bulb of Exterior Lighting System Failed" warning

03-21-2019, 07:03 PM   #1
donanddemetra
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive SULEV

Help needed trouble-shooting "Bulb of Exterior Lighting System Failed" warning

To all,

This is my 1st post on this site. Recently my 2011 328xi without iDrive is displaying the "Bulb of the existing light system failed indicator.

All exterior lights appear to be working except for brake lights on trunk lid, they never seem to come on. I attached a photo to indicate which light won't display.

The wiring appears to be in good shape and the other brake light bulbs appear to be good. I replaced all of bulbs BTW.

I am now trying to see if a fuse has blown, but I can't tell from the pictures on the fuse diagram which fuse applies to the trunk mounted brake light. Can someone tell me fuse is associated to the brake light?

Additionally, is there something else I should be checking?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you,

Don
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

Definitely check fuses, but that's probably not the issue unfortunately. The wiring to the trunk lid breaks where it flexes during opening/closing. This is inside a boot, so you can't see the wires directly. I'd bet money on a broken wire in there. You can take a multimeter to test continuity of all the grounds and whether each bulb socket is getting 12V. You can reconnect the individual wires as they break (and more probably will) or better yet, just buy a repair wiring harness from Sencom (and a few others) and fix them all at once. My repair harness is on the way.

PS - this post should probably be in the general forum, not DIY.
Appreciate 0