E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > MY N53 (NOX, Injectors, rough run, sooty exhaust) Is running badly how do I diagnose

Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #133
Dormermike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirka330i View Post
I had mine less sooty but ultrasonic cleaning did not help...I was told that there is some rhodium and other strange parts (apparently kind of very sensitive layers...) in the probe and this mostly why the probe dies...but you can always try; if it does not help keep the nox unit ( I see that on the picture that schriss has Generation03...) and then you can, like myself, experiment with a connection to some other probes (the worst thing which can happen is that you kill the analogue part of nox unit...I hope...)

Interesting. I see 8 wire generic nox sensors are available. Sounds like you tried replacing just the head but that didn't work out?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:16 AM   #134
jirka330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw330i e91 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Interesting. I see 8 wire generic nox sensors are available. Sounds like you tried replacing just the head but that didn't work out?
I do not believe that there are any serious generic nox probes on the market...and that is why I have not spent some 100+ euro on what I consider fake...I rather prefer testing other (wideband..) probes with my old oem nox unit...my son likes plaing with arduino and I like playing with nox :-)
If you are aware about any...post a photo here...I will try to comment...
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:11 AM   #135
schriss
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 02.2007 BMW E93 N53

I think it would be easy to use Arduino or something similar as an emulator for the Probe itself, sending signals to the electronic unit. The only problem is the harsh conditions under the car. On a plus side, Arduino/Raspberry could send lower signals than actual probe, same as NOXEM, meaning reporting much lower nox ppm.
      Today, 05:40 AM   #136
jirka330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
I think it would be easy to use Arduino or something similar as an emulator for the Probe itself, sending signals to the electronic unit. The only problem is the harsh conditions under the car. On a plus side, Arduino/Raspberry could send lower signals than actual probe, same as NOXEM, meaning reporting much lower nox ppm.
I would not put arduino under the car...connector+cable would allow bit more flexibility for the location...for example in the boot :-)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:46 AM   #137
schriss
Private
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirka330i View Post
I would not put arduino under the car...connector+cable would allow bit more flexibility for the location...for example in the boot :-)
Yea, shielded cable to a safe place, but I think definitely it could be done. One thing is I don't know what kind of signals the Probe is sending, but if they are analog like from Lambda sensors (just some voltage range) then probably easy. If it's some data protocol then not easy. By I would think probe<>module is just analog, module<>car is some protocol (but we don't care).
      Today, 06:00 AM   #138
jirka330i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriss View Post
Yea, shielded cable to a safe place, but I think definitely it could be done. One thing is I don't know what kind of signals the Probe is sending, but if they are analog like from Lambda sensors (just some voltage range) then probably easy. If it's some data protocol then not easy. By I would think probe<>module is just analog, module<>car is some protocol (but we don't care).
I have the same view...probe delivers some analogue signal (say 5-500mV) to analogue part of the unit...where it is processed into set of data in canbus protocol

something like this could read the communication between ecu and nox sensor easily and if it has 2way function then even send back the emulated data... http://www.rs.canlab.cz/?q=en/node/68
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:36 AM   #139
Dormermike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

The probe is 8 wire but those include o2 and heating. O2 should be easy to spoof. The nox value is probably a voltage range but would need to monitor a good one live.

The other potential issue is if the DME uses upstream sensor values to corroborate or sanity check the values coming from the nox ecu. I.e. WOT but the nox sensor is seeing nox associated with light throttle.

Would make a great arduino recipe!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:39 AM   #140
schriss
Private
Ireland
Rep

Yes would be very cool "fix" for nox probes. Basically a software emulator. Knowing the voltage range of outputs of real probe is main thing. Actually Inpa reports some voltage from real NOX sensor, but that is probably some different value not related to nox ppm.