E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Precision Turbo Gen 2

04-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
datpiff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92

Precision Turbo Gen 2

What are your thoughts on precision going for strictly oil cooling on their turbos instead of coolant+water? I have found this quite interesting but can't seem to find solid evidence from them saying why. Some insight would be much appreciated.

Main reason I'm asking is because many trusted kits that I've seen for the N54 engines run precision ball bearing turbos and most, if not all, use this new design. It's just weird that I'm going to have to block coolant ports when the engine was originally designed to use both coolant and oil cooling for the stock hybrid set. I'd understand it on a different car where the engine was never designed for anything other than oil/air cooling. Though, now I'm assuming I have to take more precautions like letting the turbo cool down before turning off the engine to prevent caulking.

Let me know what you think
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #2
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Conceptually it sketches me out as well but as a bottom line matter, people have run PTEs on this platform for years without substantial issues. The Gen 2s make power for sure. I've never heard of or seen them cooking oil after shutdown but haven't run one personally on this motor.

You can always go Garrett/FP/XONA but i'm biased

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
extreme-eg
Private
Rep
Drives: 86/Civic/200SX/135i

The internet consensus is that PTE turbos feature great aerodynamically efficient designs but have less than a stellar reputation when it comes to reliability.

Sure they make great power, but the lack of water cooling of the bearing sections is something they come under fire for often. The inclusion of their turbos in off-the-shelf turbo kits is common across platforms (Evo, Supra, Honda, BMW) but I'm sure this also has to do with their attractive wholesale pricing and journal or ball-bearing options which cut base MSRP pricing down.

Personally I'd run a Borg Warner S300 SX-E or Garrett GTW before I run a precision, as I just don't trust their product for longevity but most of the record setting cars run Precision turbos - so you need to decide what your priority is (all out performance or reliability/longevity).

If you want to keep the water cooling OEM integration, you'll need to look at GTX, EFR or Xona options.
Appreciate 0