E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: M3 Steering wheel and paddles in LCI E9x

04-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #1
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
DIY: M3 Steering wheel and paddles in LCI E9x

DIY on how to swap the paddle shifters from the DCT e9x vehicles, and the Steering wheel from the E9x ECT cars into an LCI 335i Coupe OR sedan.

You will need:

Soldering Kit/Solder
Resistors:
4.99K Ohms
1.18k Ohms
348 Ohms
6.2K Ohms
[You can order multiple of each in case you ever need to replace or make a mistake, the resistors are only like 20 to 30 cents a piece]
Shinkwrap kit with mutliple sizes of shrink wrap
Heat gun, or hair dryer

You then need to rewire the M3 Paddle shifters clips.
The M3 comes wired with wires in pins 2 and pins 3
you need to move the wire from pin 2 into pin 1 to match the recieving wiring of an LCI car.

How to Move the wire in Pin 2 -> Pin 1:

Step 1: Open the end of the M3 paddles plug and gain access to the Pins
Step 2: Push the Top of the metal section of the pin down with a small screw driver and pull the wire out of pin 2, you will need to push the metal clip down twice to remove it from the pin.
Youve now completed the harness section of the rewiring process

The LCI 335i coupe and sedan come with 2 resistors added into each paddle shifter (4 Total) the M3 for PRE LCI and LCI came WITHOUT resistors, so to make m3 paddle shifters work in an LCI 335i you need to add back in 4 resistors to your paddle shifters

Step 2.1: Review this diagram and understand where each resistor will be added to the cables in the harness
PS: if you seperate your cables in the M3 harness between the clip that connects to the multifunctions and the paddle shifter module itself, it makes working with the resistors alot easier.

Step 2.2: Cut open the cables to wire in the resistors as specified in the wiring diagram, once the cable is cut open before you solder on the resistor, remember to put a heat shrink tube on the wire before you solder the resistor, then once the soldering is complete cover the resistor from both sides with heat shrink.

Step 2.3: Seal up the heat shrink and use electrical tape where you can get the shrink wrap to cover. verify your paddles look like the ones in the completed paddle pictures.

Install your paddle shifters back into your steering wheel should work once plugged in and re enable S mode / shift gears.

References:
Capt Awesome for helping me out with this project
Reference Thread 1
Reference Thread 2
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #2
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
I also have a set of M3 DCT paddles and the resistors, if anyone with an LCI is interested in buying a set that would be plug and play pre soldered, send me a PM.

If anyone with an earlier model car (pre LCI) is interested in a set of LCI paddle shifters or M3 DCT paddle shifters that can be made to be plug and play send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:10 AM   #3
bjf66
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

Hi, can you post the wiring diagram again? Not sure if it’s not showing up or upload expired.
Appreciate 0