E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Another turbo/limp mode question. Pls advice needed

10-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
Alcuse01
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Another turbo/limp mode question. Pls advice needed

All. I’m hoping for some advice. I’ve searched hundreds of forums now and just can’t find an exact situation as mine. Here’s some background

Imported an 11/2007 335i convertible (rhd) from Singapore. (I live on the islands and that’s really the only way to get an affordable car here). Car has 70000km it had a cracked fuel reg when I got it. It’s completley stock.

The car gives me the dreaded limp mode when I am pressing the gas hard at 4000rmp. Almost 9 out of 10 times when accelerating hard it’ll ding at 4000rmp. I took it to 3 shops. The first was replacing my fuel reg and said the turbo had oil in it and was shot. THat I needed to replace the turbos and all the components. (Oil,coolant lines etc). They did not get a code. Thr 2nd shop I drove the car too after throwing the 30ff code. They said I need a new turbo. No other tests. Just based on the code. The third shop (with the guy I trust) did a smoke test and found no leaks. He reached in and said the wastegate was very loose. He tightened it. This helped and I was prob at about 50% throwing the code now when hitting 4000. However I also now hear the rattle. But not as others have noted. It’s barely there. He also said based on the tightening he thinks it’s the turbo. Last night I floored it and took a video to get my 0-60. I’m at like 8 seconds. Smh.

Anyhow. I wanted to get thoughts on based on the shops I went to if this all sounds legit. Btw. Bmw here won’t touch an import car. And we don’t really have anyone that is an expert on turbos.

All the forums kind of lead to charge pipe (but mine didn’t show a leak from the smoke) vacuum lines. (Same) Vanos maybe? Or full replacement.
I should also note that after some fun driving. If I turn off the car and start it up but keep in park I sometimes get a transmission fault. What is that? Is it related?

(If you do think it’s the turbos would you just replace it al? Turbos. Charge pipe. Pcv oil and coolant lines., valve cover gasket. Oil filter gasket. Etc?)

Thanks all. Really appreciate any suggestions or feedback.
Appreciate 0