E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

04-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #441
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

thanks a lot george. ill just save it and use it as clay lube or for when i need to clean bird bombs and such.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #442
Wilson01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi Coupe

So, I picked up my new 328 xi coupe a couple of days ago. After making the outside sparkle and look amazing I decided to Scotch Guard the floor mats and the carpeting. I was careful to keep it off the molding, HOWEVER, on the piece of plastic on the bottom of the door I must have dripped some unknowingly. A couple hours later I come back and find two quarter sized white spots that won't clean off. Thay are right but the power seat controls.

I need some advice here. Know anything that would fix this?
      04-21-2008, 03:24 AM   #443
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
hey george, i got a few quick questions. i have a E90 black sapphire
i'm really not an expert in car detailing and don't have the tools and space (apartment). i have been using the coin-operated self wash but swirl marks are starting to show. i recentely came upon the Nu Finish car polish and Optimum No Rinse wash, can these 2 products be used together as in use the ONR then after use the Nu FInish car polish? do these products help with the swirl marks?
i know a full detail process will probably be the best and i have found a shop that will do a full process for $150. i am thinking that i should just do that once in a few months and just wash it myself between the full detail.
besides the 2 products mentioned above are there any other products that you might consider as for a guy in my situation that has no space, time and tools? and are there any downsides for using these kind of products too often?
thanks
      04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #444
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01 View Post
So, I picked up my new 328 xi coupe a couple of days ago. After making the outside sparkle and look amazing I decided to Scotch Guard the floor mats and the carpeting. I was careful to keep it off the molding, HOWEVER, on the piece of plastic on the bottom of the door I must have dripped some unknowingly. A couple hours later I come back and find two quarter sized white spots that won't clean off. Thay are right but the power seat controls.

I need some advice here. Know anything that would fix this?
A little bit of plastic cleaner and some elbow grease should do the trick. Over the weekend I had a chance to try out the Chemical Guys Silk Dressing, which is basically a cleaner and protectant for vinyl, rubber and plastic. I was pretty amazed on how well this product cleaned and protected while leaving a bold, yet still matte finish. I misted it on a microfiber towel and worked it into the surface. For some stubborn stains, I had to apply a fair amount of pressure and continued to work it into the surface. Afterwards, I used a clean dry towel and buffed to a beautiful matte finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
hey george, i got a few quick questions. i have a E90 black sapphire
i'm really not an expert in car detailing and don't have the tools and space (apartment). i have been using the coin-operated self wash but swirl marks are starting to show. i recentely came upon the Nu Finish car polish and Optimum No Rinse wash, can these 2 products be used together as in use the ONR then after use the Nu FInish car polish? do these products help with the swirl marks?
i know a full detail process will probably be the best and i have found a shop that will do a full process for $150. i am thinking that i should just do that once in a few months and just wash it myself between the full detail.
besides the 2 products mentioned above are there any other products that you might consider as for a guy in my situation that has no space, time and tools? and are there any downsides for using these kind of products too often?
thanks
I don't have much experience with the Nu Finish polish, but ONR is a great product for people who do not have access to a hose. Unfortunately, it's going to be difficult to tackle swirl removal by hand. You're best bet is to take it to a professional detailer for the swirl removal and maintain it yourself. To be honest $150 sounds pretty cheap for quality swirl removal, be careful that they aren't just filling in the swirls and imperfections with a glaze otherwise they will be back within a few washes. Also try to find out if they use a rotary buffer or a random orbital buffer. An unskilled rotary user can often cause more harm than good. You're best bet is to find a pro detailer through the forums in your area. Check Detail University's Find a Detailer or Autopia.org in the regional section for a detailer in your area.

If the Nu Finish is an abrasive polish, you want to avoid using that regularly. Usually 2 - 3 times a year is tops I'd recommend using an abrasive polish.

Most of the detailing products and processes would be similar with little space other than the ONR and not using a machine. It's just a lot more time and energy consuming applying a polish by hand and difficult to remove certain imperfections.

If you have any specific questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #445
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I don't have much experience with the Nu Finish polish, but ONR is a great product for people who do not have access to a hose. Unfortunately, it's going to be difficult to tackle swirl removal by hand. You're best bet is to take it to a professional detailer for the swirl removal and maintain it yourself. To be honest $150 sounds pretty cheap for quality swirl removal, be careful that they aren't just filling in the swirls and imperfections with a glaze otherwise they will be back within a few washes. Also try to find out if they use a rotary buffer or a random orbital buffer. An unskilled rotary user can often cause more harm than good. You're best bet is to find a pro detailer through the forums in your area. Check Detail University's Find a Detailer or Autopia.org in the regional section for a detailer in your area.

If the Nu Finish is an abrasive polish, you want to avoid using that regularly. Usually 2 - 3 times a year is tops I'd recommend using an abrasive polish.

Most of the detailing products and processes would be similar with little space other than the ONR and not using a machine. It's just a lot more time and energy consuming applying a polish by hand and difficult to remove certain imperfections.

If you have any specific questions on anything, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
this is a prefessional detail that i found in my area, they come to you. i don't have any experinece with them but from the cars they do i think its an okay. any thoughts?
http://www.detailwerkz.com/intro.html
      04-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #446
gotmy3
Rep
Drives: 325i sedan

I just shot you a PM Detailed Image...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #447
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuufer001 View Post
this is a prefessional detail that i found in my area, they come to you. i don't have any experinece with them but from the cars they do i think its an okay. any thoughts?
http://www.detailwerkz.com/intro.html
Looks like they are a pretty reputable place from their website. Give them a shot and let us know how things turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmy3 View Post
I just shot you a PM Detailed Image...
PM replied.

Thanks!

George
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #448
ATD1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Wheel Protection

Hey George,

Which will yield better results for long lasting protection. Wheel Wax or the PB's Wheel Sealant or both? I had super stubborn brake dust (not tar...I know the difference) and I literally had to clay the inside of each wheel to get it off. Not bad when the wheels are off the car. Anyway I would like to be able to protect them so I don't get this problem again and was wondering what you recommend. I do wash my wheels approx every 2-weeks and I reach thru to the other side and around the spokes. So its not like I'm neglecting my wheels.

Thanks!

2007 335i (E90) - Jet Black - Dark Burlwood - Black Leatherette - Auto - Sport Pkg - Paddle shifters - Heated Seats - BMW Assist
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 01:04 PM   #449
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I put the PB on my wheels New Year's (I think) and they still clean up pretty good. It's getting about time to redo.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #450
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD1 View Post
Hey George,

Which will yield better results for long lasting protection. Wheel Wax or the PB's Wheel Sealant or both? I had super stubborn brake dust (not tar...I know the difference) and I literally had to clay the inside of each wheel to get it off. Not bad when the wheels are off the car. Anyway I would like to be able to protect them so I don't get this problem again and was wondering what you recommend. I do wash my wheels approx every 2-weeks and I reach thru to the other side and around the spokes. So its not like I'm neglecting my wheels.

Thanks!
I find that the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant offers better protection and durability than Wheel Wax. It's easier to use, leaves a slicker surface behind and is safer on more finishes. For the extra couple bucks it's well worth it IMO. If you wash every 2 weeks, you shouldn't have a problem removing brake dust in the future w/ PB Wheel Sealant. Expect roughly around 3 months of protection out of each application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I put the PB on my wheels New Year's (I think) and they still clean up pretty good. It's getting about time to redo.
That's pretty impressive in terms of durability, glad to hear that it is holding up that long for you.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #451
Wilson01
Private First Class
Rep

I have some questions just to make sure I'm protecting my paint and not doing any harm.

1. Sealant goes on twice a year, correct?

2. Before I reseal, I should use a polish? Or how often should I use the polish?

3. Is it ok to forego waxing on top of the sealant or should I wax for sure for better protection?

I put sealant on last weekend. I was planning on washing this weekend and just using Wolfgang Concours Sealant Spritzer after wash. Any thoughts on this product?

Thanks, as always.
      04-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #452
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have some questions just to make sure I'm protecting my paint and not doing any harm.

1. Sealant goes on twice a year, correct?

2. Before I reseal, I should use a polish? Or how often should I use the polish?

3. Is it ok to forego waxing on top of the sealant or should I wax for sure for better protection?

I put sealant on last weekend. I was planning on washing this weekend and just using Wolfgang Concours Sealant Spritzer after wash. Any thoughts on this product?

Thanks, as always.
Good questions.

1. Most sealants have a maximum durability of 6 months, and you're usually very lucky to get that. I recommend applying a sealant at least 3 times a year to ensure you have full protection year round. 2 times a year may expose your paint towards the end of the life of the sealant.

2. I polish as needed. If you inspect your paint and see swirls, water spots, oxidation, scratches or other imperfections you'd like to remove, then you want to polish it. If you're content with the amount of imperfections on the paint, then you can skip the polishing. Most detailers will polish their vehicles 1 - 3 times a year.

3. Topping a sealant with a wax, will add another layer of protection. Personally, I find it offers better protection for things like bird droppings, water spots and it seems to be easier to maintain your vehicle with a quality carnauba wax on top. Is it necessary? No. You will also get more depth and gloss out of the paint as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't used any of the Wolfgang products, so I can't give you much insight on that.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #453
Wilson01
Private First Class
Rep

George, Thank you so much.

I think I will go ahead and put a wax on top of the sealant after a wash in about a week.
      04-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #454
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
That's pretty impressive in terms of durability, glad to hear that it is holding up that long for you.

George
If I recall correctly (I may have blocked it out, it was so much work ) I put three coats on each side of the rims that weekend. I keep looking at the wheels, then looking at the jack, then looking at the wheels, then heading off to the beach with my son.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 06:56 PM   #455
dwykstra
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Tire dressing

Interested in ideas for a good tire dressing. Planning on using zaino, but looking for something with a little more gloss, but don't want it slinging everywhere.

ZSP/ZPP/CWP/Navi/Sirius/iPod/CA

20% tint/Blacklines/OEM spoiler/OEM style splitters
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #456
Wilson01
Private First Class
Rep

I just picked up some Black Magic Gel. I use these griots applicators. It gives a nice wet look. After leaving it for a couple hours I wiped the tires down with a try towel to prevent sling.....

So, I am planning on ordering some p21s wax to top off the sealant I was talking about above. Any problems with this going on Space Grey Metallic paint?

BTW, I washed this weekend. I used microfiber mit and waffleweave to dry. It felt awesome!! I used Detail Spritz to shine it up at the end. I was impressed.

Let me know if you think p21s is the way to go George. Thanks for your help as always. Nick
      04-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #457
E nine T
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey George..just placed another order with you guys for some of your new CG stuff as well some other things! Thanks for the EXTREMELY fast shipping last time!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2008, 12:12 PM   #458
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwykstra View Post
Interested in ideas for a good tire dressing. Planning on using zaino, but looking for something with a little more gloss, but don't want it slinging everywhere.
I like Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright, it's easy to apply, is water based and is safe for your tires and doesn't sling. The problem is the gloss level isn't that high and it fades rather quickly through regular washes or some rain. The Blackfire Tire Gel we just got in gives off a deeper gloss and lasts a little longer. You wouldn't experience any sling if applied properly. I'd recommend applying the product in thin layers until the desired level of gloss is achieved. Make sure you work it in evenly.

Quote:
I just picked up some Black Magic Gel. I use these griots applicators. It gives a nice wet look. After leaving it for a couple hours I wiped the tires down with a try towel to prevent sling.....

So, I am planning on ordering some p21s wax to top off the sealant I was talking about above. Any problems with this going on Space Grey Metallic paint?

BTW, I washed this weekend. I used microfiber mit and waffleweave to dry. It felt awesome!! I used Detail Spritz to shine it up at the end. I was impressed.

Let me know if you think p21s is the way to go George. Thanks for your help as always. Nick
I find that the P21S waxes look great on metallic colors. I think you'll be quite pleased. It's also very easy to work with in terms of applying and removing. Glad to hear the mitt and waffle weave drying towels worked well for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E nine T View Post
Hey George..just placed another order with you guys for some of your new CG stuff as well some other things! Thanks for the EXTREMELY fast shipping last time!
Thanks for the feedback, we greatly appreciate your continued support! Keep us posted on what you think of the new products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
If I recall correctly (I may have blocked it out, it was so much work ) I put three coats on each side of the rims that weekend. I keep looking at the wheels, then looking at the jack, then looking at the wheels, then heading off to the beach with my son.
Three coats will give you maximum durability out of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. Looks like the extra work paid off if it was keeping your wheels that clean for that long. Thanks for sharing

George
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 01:12 PM   #459
boswash
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi E92

CG 5050 after Zaino AIO?

I have a year old platinum blonze E92. Since buying the car, I applied Zaino AIO last summer and fall. I also used Z2 Pro after one of the AIO applications. In each case, the surface feels great, but I'm not getting enough 'shine.' Not sure if its the color or what I am or not doing. So now I am considering doing a Zaino AIO and follow it with CG 5050 in the hope of getting a 'wetter look.' Is it okay to follow the Zaino AIO immediately with CG5050? Thanks in advance -- I am a 'detail newbie.'
      05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #460
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswash View Post
I have a year old platinum blonze E92. Since buying the car, I applied Zaino AIO last summer and fall. I also used Z2 Pro after one of the AIO applications. In each case, the surface feels great, but I'm not getting enough 'shine.' Not sure if its the color or what I am or not doing. So now I am considering doing a Zaino AIO and follow it with CG 5050 in the hope of getting a 'wetter look.' Is it okay to follow the Zaino AIO immediately with CG5050? Thanks in advance -- I am a 'detail newbie.'
With any sealant, it's best to let it cure for around 24 hours. Any product can be topped with a carnauba wax right away, but you may hinder the MAXIMUM durability. My guess is you'd get somewhere around 2 - 3 months of protection out of that combination. CG 50/50 should definitely help increase the depth and gloss, however, maximum wetness and depth and gloss is achieved from the proper prep work. If you have swirls, scratches, water spots, and other imperfections in your clear coat, chances are that's preventing you from achieving the gloss you're looking for more than the difference in looks between a sealant and wax.

Keep us posted on how you make out if you go the 50/50 route.

Regards,

George
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #461
Saigon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM E92 335i Coupe

what's better for keeping the new leather smell in the car? I just received my car a week ago and want to keep that awesome smell inside the interior! Anyways, would CG leather conditioner/cleaner keep it? Or would Zaino-Z10 be better? I really enjoy the CG conditioner/leather cleaner it made my interior smell even fresher combined with the new car smell.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #462
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
what's better for keeping the new leather smell in the car? I just received my car a week ago and want to keep that awesome smell inside the interior! Anyways, would CG leather conditioner/cleaner keep it? Or would Zaino-Z10 be better? I really enjoy the CG conditioner/leather cleaner it made my interior smell even fresher combined with the new car smell.
Many leather products do help enhance the leather scent or have some scent to it. I use Poorboy's Leather Stuff, which has a pleasant leather scent to it. Also, when I perform the complete Leatherique process it's more of a natural leather smell compared to an artificial leather smell from Poorboy's Leather Stuff. I've heard good things about the Zaino leather products as far as smell goes, but don't have any personal experience with them.

New car smell is actually your adhesives off gassing into your interior. There's not really anything you can do to maintain that part of your interior scent.

George
Appreciate 0