E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Pro Nav Audio Upgrade Q's

04-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Pro Nav Audio Upgrade Q's

I'm in the process of upgrading various elements of my E92 and one thing that'll in my eyes be done last is the sound system.

I'm running Nav professional and am looking for a straightforward type upgrade but nothing too OTT, less is more type approach if you follow me. I'm really not wishing to change the factory CCC unit as I don't really use Nav or any of the functions that would make me want to look at CIC though I know it's far better than my set up. I've got a Dension 500 to go in which is going to give me full iPod control, which I'm looking forward too. But on sound I'm lost....

I've considered the off the shelf Alpine upgrade which TBH offers a definite improvement but something tells me for a little bit more there's better out there.

One thing I'll struggle with is getting it right. I've looked at Focal, MB Quart and Hertz all of which have their plaudits but apart from the names I'm out of my depth.

I listen to all sorts of music from soul to stuff like Phil Collins and Shai which means you can't steer the system towards a particular sound stage I guess.

Clueless re install too as I believe the install can make/break the kit you've purchased? Any tips, people to help or install greatly welcome.

Thanks for reading
Steve
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Can I ask what do you want to achieve out of sound system?
Clarity?
More bass?
Loudness?
      04-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Can I ask what do you want to achieve out of sound system?
Clarity?
More bass?
Loudness?
Good question. Ideally more definition more depth, I don't wants subs everywhere and loads of amps but understand an amp or two may be required to get something of an improvement due to the factory systems lack of finesse but apart from that in the world of sound I'm lost totally lost.

What I have seen at work are a good few cars that have been sound wise modified all are a lot louder amps everywhere along with a lack of finesse re installation(wires trailing everywhere) and although they're louder than stock you can see most have gone for pure power which I think for me isn't the direction I'd like to take but finesse with more power I guess if done right can be achieved.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Good question. Ideally more definition more depth, I don't wants subs everywhere and loads of amps but understand an amp or two may be required to get something of an improvement due to the factory systems lack of finesse but apart from that in the world of sound I'm lost totally lost.

What I have seen at work are a good few cars that have been sound wise modified all are a lot louder amps everywhere along with a lack of finesse re installation(wires trailing everywhere) and although they're louder than stock you can see most have gone for pure power which I think for me isn't the direction I'd like to take but finesse with more power I guess if done right can be achieved.
Alpine retrofit kit with L7 subs will sort you out with out having multiple amps/ subs. Its entry level sound system but worth of every penny if you opt for L7 subs with it.
      04-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Alpine retrofit kit with L7 subs will sort you out with out having multiple amps/ subs. Its entry level sound system but worth of every penny if you opt for L7 subs with it.
Thanks for the reply, kinda what I was thinking re VFM, I'm still 50/50 re going a small stage further but am going to check out the Alpine set up to see what you get for your money and will read the sticky on here re what people think, but something tells me my thoughts/money may venture for something a little bit more elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Telly Addict
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Thanks for the reply, kinda what I was thinking re VFM, I'm still 50/50 re going a small stage further but am going to check out the Alpine set up to see what you get for your money and will read the sticky on here re what people think, but something tells me my thoughts/money may venture for something a little bit more elaborate.
My setup used the Blaupunkt 5 channel PnP amp with harness. I replaced the door speakers with a good brand component set and added the tweeter pods (available from the dealer, part nos are kicking about the site). I also replaced the underseat subs with Gladen units, bought from the good Makkan00 himself and they were driven straight from the amp.

The process of fitting is very straightforward, it's just a harness that plugs into the existing car's wiring after all, with perhaps fitting the new speakers into the doors (normally with adaptor plates) being the most time-consuming. Getting the harness behind the head unit is a little fiddly but not unduly so. I also fitted some sound-deadening material to the inside of the door cards to stop any rattling/resonance occurring.

The sound quality was simply stunning and highly recommend it. See my e92 thread for a fuller story. My setup also happens to be for sale atm (minus component speakers).
Appreciate 0