E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Alpine Hifi upgrade

06-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #925
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Wouldn't bother, why put a 6" mid bass in the woofer location?

Do a search on google, people have fitted them and been disappointed.

That under seat will take an 8" woofer, get one that plays to 120hz and then a decent mid and tweeter.

Have you searched the audio section of this forum? There is 9 years worth of posts to read though that answers all your questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #926
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport

I've read so much on this forum about this I'm more confused than ever ...

I think I'm going to go for the hertz door set up :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3308286726...84.m1423.l2649

These seem to be the best I can afford and make more sense than just buying the L7 tweeters at the price they are.

Next is an amp. Not sure which one. It'll depend on price. Are there any reasonably priced plug and play ones out there? If not, any others you can recommend. Also 2 or 4 channel? I don't suppose you want to sell your blaupunkt set up? :0)

I'll see how that sounds and if I not happy I'll try and sourse some 2nd hand earthquakes or similar.

How does that sound?
      06-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #927
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Only go for those if you are definitely going to amp the subs and mids seperately, the Hertz are 92db sensitivity and the under seat subs are only 89db, 3db difference is a 50% drop in relative volume.

In other words if you run them from the same channel you will have fuck all bass.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #928
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Send Mr Singh a pm. He has new Gladen 201 kits in stock this month. Consist of an 8" underseat, 4" mid and a tweeter. All plug and play specific for BMW. I'm actually installing it now in my car.

The hertz mid range speaker you linked had a mounting depth of over 60cm so you may struggle to fit them.

How are you going to wire this up, do you have a harness?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #929
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Just been reading about the Gladen set up. I think I'm sold. £319 from Ireland inc p&p.
Just sent Mr Sing a pm to see if he can do it any cheaper.

Now all I need is a cheap / reasonably priced amp. Suggestions please .....

My eyes and head hurt ... I've been reading about this stuff way too much.
      06-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #930
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlondeFella View Post
Just been reading about the Gladen set up. I think I'm sold. £319 from Ireland inc p&p.
Just sent Mr Sing a pm to see if he can do it any cheaper.

Now all I need is a cheap / reasonably priced amp. Suggestions please .....

My eyes and head hurt ... I've been reading about this stuff way too much.
For some reason you have ignored my previous post.
I have said, forget cheap stuff and spend money once to get it all sorted.

Gladen kit with Gladen amp
or
Gladen kit with Mosconi amp

+ get the harness from Mr Singh

Don't look for cheap amps. No point of having decent drivers f****** by cheap amp.

FYI, bmw works on different balanced input and you cannot use 'ANY NORMAL' amp unless you intend to use LOC and have some noise in the sound system.
      06-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #931
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

I'm not ignoring you, but not all of us can all afford the best of everything all the time.

I have received some great advice so far on here from yourself and others.

Your budget and speck though seems much higher than mine. I imagine you can appreciate the better quality though as well. I'm just looking for a value for money low to mid priced option. That's all I need for my simple tastes.

The Glayden speaker set up (at he current price) seems to tick the right boxes even though it is more than I initially wanted to spend.

You have commended Jammy for just adding OE tweeters as it makes a big difference. If I can stretch to the Glayden set up now, won't that be even better seeing as I can get them for what appears to be a great price.

If I can only afford half he price of a £300 Glayden amp, even this has to be an improvement over stock?

I'm sure there are plenty of forum members who either have an amped system with stock speakers or just good speakers with no amp.

You yourself have posted that you can use this speaker set up with an Alpine amp for example.

You say i cant use any 'normal amp'. What do I need to look for and what prices do they start at? Could I not buy separately the Alpine amp that comes with the Alpine BMW speaker upgrade with these speakers as a cheaper alternative?

I will admit I am very naive to BMW set ups and I'm finding a lot of it confusing as I've never had these issues with previous cars. I don't even know what LOC is for example.

I have fitted numerous systems to my old cars however including my own custom speaker shelves and sub enclosures. These have all been done on a reasonable budget and sounded to my humble ears quite good. This is all that I'm trying to re create now. It's just proving bl**dy difficult. :0)

I'm being bought the speakers as a gift. I can't afford an expensive amp and I don't want to appear ungrateful by not fitting them. I just need a little help at looking at the lower end of the market.

Last edited by TheBlondeFella; 06-28-2013 at 12:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #932
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Your budget and speck though seems much higher than mine. I imagine you can appreciate the better quality though as well. I'm just looking for a value for money low to mid priced option. That's all I need for my simple tastes.
You have commended Jammy for just adding OE tweeters as it makes a big difference. If I can stretch to the Glayden set up now, won't that be even better seeing as I can get them for what appears to be a great price.
Apologies, if thats the case.

Quote:
If I can only afford half he price of a £300 Glayden amp, even this has to be an improvement over stock?
You may not get optimal results out of Gladen kit. See what Gizze said, that half of the time the drivers / kits are set / fitted inappropriately.

Quote:
You say i cant use any 'normal amp'. What do I need to look for and what prices do they start at? Could I not buy separately the Alpine amp that comes with the Alpine BMW speaker upgrade with these speakers as a cheaper alternative?
I will admit I am very naive to BMW set ups and I'm finding a lot of it confusing as I've never had these issues with previous cars. I don't even know what LOC is for example.
IF you do not want to add LOC (speaker level to low level converter so you can feed the amp), then look for those amps which accept differential balanced input. Some examples are JL, Rockford, Gladen, and Mosconi.
They are expensive for a reason mate.

Quote:
I'm being bought the speakers as a gift. I can't afford an expensive amp and I don't want to appear ungrateful by not fitting them. I just need a little help at looking at the lower end of the market.
Sure mate, all the best.
      06-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #933
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Send Mr Singh a pm. He has new Gladen 201 kits in stock this month. Consist of an 8" underseat, 4" mid and a tweeter. All plug and play specific for BMW. I'm actually installing it now in my car.

The hertz mid range speaker you linked had a mounting depth of over 60cm so you may struggle to fit them.

How are you going to wire this up, do you have a harness?
How easy are you finding it? It sounds a pretty easy install to me but I'm learning that any electric to do with BMW is about 20 times harder than it should be. What amp (if any) are you planning to use?

Last edited by TheBlondeFella; 06-28-2013 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 06:02 AM   #934
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How easy are you finding it? It sounds a pretty easy install to me but I'm learning that any electric to do with BMW is about 20 times harder than it should be. What amp (if any) are you planning to use?
Helix DSP and Vibe Litebox amp.
      06-28-2013, 06:11 AM   #935
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Can I use a Blaupunk THA 475 PnP - Plug & Play amplifier with the Gladen speakers? I might have found one with the cable in my price range.
If so, can this be fitted up front with the 2.5 cable or will I have to but it in the boot and use the 5 cable?
      06-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #936
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for mak answering!

Maks right you either need to get a LOC, or a amp/dsp that can take differential balanced inputs. Having said that, i thought it was only hifi or hifi codes HUs that needed an amp with differential balanced inputs? I thought base stereo HU could use any amp with speaker level input? I may be wrong as its been a while since i read it!

Yes i'm using a helix p-dsp, vibe litebox and a technic harness. Be aware as i think there are now TWO Gladen BMW kits. The old Gladen 200 (4 ohm) and the new Gladen 201 (3 ohm and upgraded sub cooling), which got released this/last month. Obviously the new kit is dearer.

Install wise the technics harness is a BITCH to get in. The quadra lock is huge. I think the Gladen harness that Mr Singh does is smaller and easier to fit. So far i've only installed one of the underseats, piece of cake no issues they just drop in to the existing enclosures. I think the mid and tweeter will be just as easy too.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #937
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Install wise the technics harness is a BITCH to get in. The quadra lock is huge. I think the Gladen harness that Mr Singh does is smaller and easier to fit. So far i've only installed one of the underseats, piece of cake no issues they just drop in to the existing enclosures. I think the mid and tweeter will be just as easy too.
Mo
Its all quad harness. Nothing to do with technics. I had issues with Gladen harness as well when fitting on navigations (no issues with standard HU). So all harness with CCC / CIC are hard to fit and that is to do with the space behind the navigation.
      07-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #938
106turbo
Boost Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 106 Gti T

Just ordered my Gladen 201 kit + 120.4 amp, wiring kit etc from a dealer recommended by Mr.Singh. Fingers crossed its here next week and BMW can source me my tweeter surrounds etc.

I'll be running my two underseats as subs and using the fronts for the sounds as recommended By monster audio design.

I'll take plenty of pics of the install although it will be the same as the first pages in this thread.

Currently 311bhp Atf.. Soon to be 300bhp Atw

E91 320D Workhorse
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #939
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 106turbo View Post
Just ordered my Gladen 201 kit + 120.4 amp, wiring kit etc from a dealer recommended by Mr.Singh. Fingers crossed its here next week and BMW can source me my tweeter surrounds etc.

I'll be running my two underseats as subs and using the fronts for the sounds as recommended By monster audio design.

I'll take plenty of pics of the install although it will be the same as the first pages in this thread.
I finally got round to finishing mine yesterday. Daamn they play with authority! Just need to find time to EQ them now.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #940
bungleaio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pug 208

Does anyone know the part numbers for the logic 7 under seat subs?

Real oem seems to list individual, HK or standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #941
cracked alloy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 M sport

Hi,
I've had a the alpine upgrade fitted and my stereo coded to Hi-Fi but I'm still a little disappointed. So the question is what's my next step? I find that that mid is ok (not the weak point at the moment) but now the treble is a little flat and not as bright as I'd like while bass is underwhelming and muddled at some frequencies while at others it seems fine.

The problem is that I don't have a lot of money and I don't want a sub in the boot, so I was thinking my options are:

1. a processor of some kind (prob bit ten rather than MS-8)
2. PnP speaker kit (but which one as I'd like to keep the alpine amp at the moment because money's tight).
3. L7 woofers (but for the same money I could get the 201 Gladens or even MB Quarts).

The alpine amp's 4 x 80w rms I think so will it have enough power for the new woofers.

I could quite easily sell the alpine kit on e-bay or here and start again but I REALLY don't want to do that mainly because of the thought of pulling it all out of the car as much as the selling hassle.

If I had 1-2K then this would be a damn sight easier but I don't as I should be saving up for a house deposit.

What are my options?

Adam
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:55 AM   #942
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracked alloy View Post
Hi,
I've had a the alpine upgrade fitted and my stereo coded to Hi-Fi but I'm still a little disappointed. So the question is what's my next step? I find that that mid is ok (not the weak point at the moment) but now the treble is a little flat and not as bright as I'd like while bass is underwhelming and muddled at some frequencies while at others it seems fine.

The problem is that I don't have a lot of money and I don't want a sub in the boot, so I was thinking my options are:

1. a processor of some kind (prob bit ten rather than MS-8)
2. PnP speaker kit (but which one as I'd like to keep the alpine amp at the moment because money's tight).
3. L7 woofers (but for the same money I could get the 201 Gladens or even MB Quarts).

The alpine amp's 4 x 80w rms I think so will it have enough power for the new woofers.

I could quite easily sell the alpine kit on e-bay or here and start again but I REALLY don't want to do that mainly because of the thought of pulling it all out of the car as much as the selling hassle.

If I had 1-2K then this would be a damn sight easier but I don't as I should be saving up for a house deposit.

What are my options?

Adam
1. Replace Tweeters with proper silkdome ones / set the cross-over
2. Add a sub in the trunk
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #943
Ibo24
New BMW owner
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 316d, BMW F40 116d

Garage List

Is this part number for the TOP-HIFI-SYSTEM

Btw, so if I understand it good.. The AMP will give 40 watt to each side making a total of 80 watts.

And the original HU gives about 15 watt or am I wrong with that..

And my very last question; when the new boxes are installed, can we turn them up high immediately?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #944
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

BMW Have just quoted me £370 for the Alpine Kit ?? how are others getting it cheaper ? please inbox me.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #945
BMWChap
Major
Rep
Drives: F32

Anyone... ?? :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #946
Reece
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e90 lci 330d

Can this still work on my car? I have a 2008 320d msport 'edition' which comes standard with the buisness nav/idrive system but is the base sound system?
I need more bass in there its terrible and last night sat and read all 43 pages and i think this is a good option for me as im not looking to spend loads and can carry out the work myself
Appreciate 0