E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Can my clearcoat be repaired?

04-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Can my clearcoat be repaired?

Throughout my car, there are parts where the clearcoat is fading. Because I have no knowledge of car body work/painting, I need some help

Based on the pictures below, is my clearcoat totally shot, or could it be repaired?

If it could be repaired, what is the best way to go about it? What I tried to do as a first try is some high grit sand paper, slightly wetsand down the clearcoat, and get some turtle wax rubbing compound and rub and buff it in. It made it look slightly better, but not completely repaired.

Thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Whoa whoa you're talking about your black window trim right?! Not actually your paint... cuz I seriously hope you didnt just start wet sanding down your car
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Whoa whoa you're talking about your black window trim right?! Not actually your paint... cuz I seriously hope you didnt just start wet sanding down your car
Not the trim lol. The paint in that area is shot so I had nothing to loose!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
OP.....why the car is so dirty?
Take it to reputable detailer for paint correction and protection.....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
OP.....why the car is so dirty?
Take it to reputable detailer for paint correction and protection.....
Why is it dirty? That wasn't my question but if you must know the car has been sitting for the last month and a half while I get my parts in for my turbo repair, so needless to say I haven't been driving it.

I assume that the clear coat can't be fixed if your telling me I need to take it in? That's my last resort. Just seeing if there is some kind of DIY for this.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

Do a test spot with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound
A small spot with not to much pressure. Just repeat a couple times to see if it clears up.
Did I already say light pressure so you don't burn through the paint?
Don't go gonzo.

If this works give up and buy a DA to finish out the car.
Throw the turtle wax in the garbage.

Last edited by spazzz; 04-16-2018 at 09:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
jeddo45373.00
      04-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
Do a test spot with some Meguiars Ultimate Compound
A small spot with not to much pressure. Just repeat a couple times to see if it clears up.
Did I already say light pressure so you don't burn threw the paint?
Don't go gonzo.

If this works give up and buy a DA to finish out the car.
Throw the turtle wax in the garbage.
Will try this. I'll keep in mind light pressure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
Will try this. I'll keep in mind light pressure. Thanks for the suggestion.
before you compound it yourself, I would say give a good wash to it then the spot you want work on, clay that spot, if you have ironx, do ironx to remove road tar and iron particles, wash again that spot and do IPA Wipe, then do some light compound them polish and see how it looks.
Appreciate 2
jeddo45373.00
King Rudi13154.00
      04-16-2018, 09:50 PM   #9
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Why is it dirty? That wasn't my question but if you must know the car has been sitting for the last month and a half while I get my parts in for my turbo repair, so needless to say I haven't been driving it.

I assume that the clear coat can't be fixed if your telling me I need to take it in? That's my last resort. Just seeing if there is some kind of DIY for this.
I would suggest to invest into car cover
Appreciate 1
jeddo45373.00
      04-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
before you compound it yourself, I would say give a good wash to it then the spot you want work on, clay that spot, if you have ironx, do ironx to remove road tar and iron particles, wash again that spot and do IPA Wipe, then do some light compound them polish and see how it looks.
For sure. Solid advice. I actually have a clay bar onhand but I'll need to get the other stuff.

And amen to the car cover. I'm doing an exterior update on this car including fixing the paint and trim, and I want it to look good for quite some time after. After the turbo repair.

Will update when I get around to this.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
For sure. Solid advice. I actually have a clay bar onhand but I'll need to get the other stuff.

And amen to the car cover. I'm doing an exterior update on this car including fixing the paint and trim, and I want it to look good for quite some time after. After the turbo repair.

Will update when I get around to this.
feel free to ask me anything about detailing
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #12
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
Did I already say light pressure so you don't burn through the paint?
Don't go gonzo.
Burn the paint...by hand? Not likely, unless the OP is one serious fapper.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Burn the paint...by hand? Not likely, unless the OP is one serious fapper.

True, but those edges have pretty thin clearcoat if massaged by a heavy rubber.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #14
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Off topic question. Tell me about your window trim. Is it plastidipped or painted?

As for the clear coat. I had some pretty bad orange peel on my clear when I got it. I spent many hours wet sanding the entire car by hand and polishing everything back up to optimum sheen. I DO NOT recommend that just anyone do this. I have years of detailing experience. I believe your clear can be restored but I would get a quote from a reputable detailer first. I'd offer suggestions but without seeing it in person it does make it difficult to recommend solutions.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Off topic question. Tell me about your window trim. Is it plastidipped or painted?

As for the clear coat. I had some pretty bad orange peel on my clear when I got it. I spent many hours wet sanding the entire car by hand and polishing everything back up to optimum sheen. I DO NOT recommend that just anyone do this. I have years of detailing experience. I believe your clear can be restored but I would get a quote from a reputable detailer first. I'd offer suggestions but without seeing it in person it does make it difficult to recommend solutions.
So my window trim was originally plastidipped. But actually yesterday I took it off, slightly sanded it down, spray painted it matter black and then plastidipped it. So it looks 1000xs better now.

As far as the clear coat, I have taken it to a detailer and he said that my clear coat needs to be fixed. So either he didn't want to deal with it, or it's just shot.

I want it fixed the right way but I'm on a budget too...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
So my window trim was originally plastidipped. But actually yesterday I took it off, slightly sanded it down, spray painted it matter black and then plastidipped it. So it looks 1000xs better now.

As far as the clear coat, I have taken it to a detailer and he said that my clear coat needs to be fixed. So either he didn't want to deal with it, or it's just shot.

In the event that your trim doesn't last, go with vinyl. I had never wrapped anything in vinyl before but found it to be very forgiving and easy to work with as long as the right tools are used.

On the clear coat, nothing is ever just shot completely. It may require some extensive work but I'm a little surprised that he didn't offer any solutions. Good possibility that he just didn't want to deal with it or more accurately didn't know how. I'd try taking it to a body shop and see what they say. I have a co-worker that does autobody work on the side I've seen him do some amazing rejuvenation work without having to completely repaint. Just another option to try although this one will probably be the most expensive. If it were my car, I would try to the Langka system (I've used it on mine with great results) and get yourself a DA and some machine polish (there are tons of options out there - I personally like 3M and Adams products and try to stay away from Chemical Guys stuff due to the residue it leaves behind)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Quote:

In the event that your trim doesn't last, go with vinyl. I had never wrapped anything in vinyl before but found it to be very forgiving and easy to work with as long as the right tools are used.

On the clear coat, nothing is ever just shot completely. It may require some extensive work but I'm a little surprised that he didn't offer any solutions. Good possibility that he just didn't want to deal with it or more accurately didn't know how. I'd try taking it to a body shop and see what they say. I have a co-worker that does autobody work on the side I've seen him do some amazing rejuvenation work without having to completely repaint. Just another option to try although this one will probably be the most expensive. If it were my car, I would try to the Langka system (I've used it on mine with great results) and get yourself a DA and some machine polish (there are tons of options out there - I personally like 3M and Adams products and try to stay away from Chemical Guys stuff due to the residue it leaves behind)
Solid advice for the trim and the clear coat. I'll look up that method. Never heard of it. I'm willing to DIY because at this point I have nothing to loose so if I screw up, oh well I'll cough up the cash to get it done right.

I just hate that I have a nice car that looks like crap.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00