E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Why are we paying so much for our cars

06-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
paw55h
Private
Rep
Drives: 320i sport

Why are we paying so much for our cars

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272050

40k US for a 335
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #2
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

It stinks doesn't it...

Log on to youtube and you will see pizza delivery boys driving 335's

But we pay more for EVERYTHING, tax, rego, insurance, income tax, tax on tax, housing, land, groceries, you name it and we pay top dollar! Now they take our private health rebate and fuel excise. I'm seriously contemplating moving o/s in a year or two
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Beejay
Oil Burner
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d 2009

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
But we pay more for EVERYTHING, tax, rego, insurance, income tax, tax on tax, housing, land, groceries, you name it and we pay top dollar! Now they take our private health rebate and fuel excise. I'm seriously contemplating moving o/s in a year or two
I reckon that's the price we pay for living on a sparsely populated island far away from everything - and there's only a few of us.

So competition is constrained, infrastructure is expensive, talented politicians far and few between, and corruption rife whereever you go.

I used to drive a (3 year old) 325 eta fresh out of uni on my first income. That was back in Germany. When migrating, I contemplated having the car moved here as well, together with a right-hand drive conversion. It would have been expensive, but would have ended up costing the same as buying the same car on arrival here. That was the difference in price, I think it was the equivalent of $10k-$15k at the time. I couldn't afford a beemer from my first salary here on arriving in '95, because salaries are 20-30% lower here (IT Industry). Cost of living (basics) is ridiculously cheap here however, one must say (energy, groceries, housing). So, i guess we can't have it all.
320d | 6sp Auto | Tasman Green | Beige Dakota Leather/Burr Walnut | Memory Mirror & Seats | Electric Lumbar Support | Alarm | Active Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Business Navigation with iDrive | Hi-Fi with iPod Interface | Already over 29000 km !
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
A bit of a reverse example that shows how much more we get screwed on cars here, for those mentioning how far away from everything we are, which is BS, it's all about taxes and a lack of competition.

Have a look at the locals, a top of the line Holden SS (or SSV whatever they call them these days) will set you back roughly $50k off the lot, for an Australian built & delivered car. The same car, converted to RHD and dressed up as a Pontiac is sold driveaway in the US for $30k (USD$24k) with a longer warranty and scheduled servicing included! Go Figure!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

US Buying Power Period.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Beejay
Oil Burner
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
A bit of a reverse example that shows how much more we get screwed on cars here, for those mentioning how far away from everything we are, which is BS, it's all about taxes and a lack of competition.

Have a look at the locals, a top of the line Holden SS (or SSV whatever they call them these days) will set you back roughly $50k off the lot, for an Australian built & delivered car. The same car, converted to RHD and dressed up as a Pontiac is sold driveaway in the US for $30k (USD$24k) with a longer warranty and scheduled servicing included! Go Figure!
Well, don't appreciate the swearing, but on the point you're making:
The tax regime is not that damaging (luxury car tax aside) and allows us to have some sort of health system at least. Competition: There's quite a few brands wanting to sell their cars here so I'd say that doesn't really come into it. The size of the market is the key I think. Everything becomes more expensive in smaller numbers. As for the Commodore; being the basic car that it is, it would probably be difficult to sell it for more in a huge market that is spoilt for choice with much more sophisticated offerings at reasonable prices.
320d | 6sp Auto | Tasman Green | Beige Dakota Leather/Burr Walnut | Memory Mirror & Seats | Electric Lumbar Support | Alarm | Active Cruise | Adaptive Xenons | Business Navigation with iDrive | Hi-Fi with iPod Interface | Already over 29000 km !
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

I went to the stealership to get a part and enquired on spark plugs for the 335i. $45 per plug...are you kidding me! Then I was told it's not an M3 because they are $105 per plug......

Found the identical plugs online for $12usd.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post

Found the identical plugs online for $12usd.
Make sure they are genuine, no aftermarket ones exist yet.

Get BMW parts . com are BMW dealers and much cheaper than AUS.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
scheps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TTMK2

Example

I make $100.00

45% tax
25% LCT
10% GST

damn, my $100 dollars become $15 when buying a car.............. not to mention other government charges/expenses......
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
Make sure they are genuine, no aftermarket ones exist yet.

Get BMW parts . com are BMW dealers and much cheaper than AUS.
thanks for the heads up mate. There is only the one type of bosch that will work for our cars and my mechanic should have the bmw tool and a torque wrench. Otherwise I might do it all myself
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheps View Post
Example

I make $100.00

45% tax
25% LCT
10% GST

damn, my $100 dollars become $15 when buying a car.............. not to mention other government charges/expenses......

I know mate, isn't it a great place at the moment!

Removal of private health rebate, removal of fuel excise, increased rates, increased rego, power bills up 15%, insurance hikes...oh but wait, we will save $20 a week in income tax cuts

I was in Mackay this morning for work and fuel was $1.14 and I get back to Brisbane 2hrs later to find it is $1.26. We are just being taken for a ride...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
mark325
Europhile
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i Manual

Welcome home btw mate.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

AusBMW :: My Tutorials
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheps View Post
Example

I make $100.00

45% tax
25% LCT
10% GST

Well you know according to Krudd, us rich bastards are riding on the back of all those poor working families...

Seriously though... depressing isn't it
      07-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieA View Post
Well you know according to Krudd, us rich bastards are riding on the back of all those poor working families...

Krudd's interpretation of rich is really starting to annoy me.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #15
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Obviously another intellectual epiphany by our friend KRUDD...
The amount i pay in taxes probably feeds 5 families each year via their centrelink payments, i think i deserve a bloody medal!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
Beejay
Oil Burner
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The amount i pay in taxes probably feeds 5 families each year via their centrelink payments, i think i deserve a bloody medal!
The amount we pay in taxes isn't even enough to pay for decent health or transport systems (of which the roads we want to drive our beemers on would be part of).
So instead of whingeing about too much tax, get involved in the political process to help change things for the better. If there's only people representing us that we like to look down upon and label with funny UPPERCASE word plays, then it must be because WE, knowing so much better than them, only stand at the sidelines jeering instead of rolling up our sleeves and doing our bit to effect change.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
The amount we pay in taxes isn't even enough to pay for decent health or transport systems (of which the roads we want to drive our beemers on would be part of).
So instead of whingeing about too much tax, get involved in the political process to help change things for the better. If there's only people representing us that we like to look down upon and label with funny UPPERCASE word plays, then it must be because WE, knowing so much better than them, only stand at the sidelines jeering instead of rolling up our sleeves and doing our bit to effect change.
I did do my bit, I voted Liberal.

I also tell everyone who will listen how much Labour are ripping Australia off, in the hope that people will make a different decision when we go back to the ballot.

Discussion on forums like these is participating in the political process, short of organising a coup there isn't too much else we can do right now.
      07-03-2009, 05:25 AM   #18
JamieA
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The scary thing is that I have often thought exactly the same thing.

I am not against helping people in need, and I am not against paying my fair share of taxes, as much as I don't enjoy it. But what riles me up is that the current social climate fostered by Labour is one of us and them, something I never experienced during the recent Liberal era. There is resentment against people who have done better and that is a bit rich, because they are happy to take our taxes, so why kick us in the teeth as a thank you.

Also this whole anti-capitalist sentiment conveniently glosses over the fact that those who have taken risks to develop businesses, or sacrificed to climb to a managerial position are those who create the job opportunities for these so called "working families". Shouldn't success then be celebrated, because through the success of entrepreneurs all our boats lift with the same tide, be it community engagement, the payment of taxes, the provision of jobs directly, or the spending of the capital that they have accumulated which creates jobs in secondary markets.

It amazes me that Sharon Burrow can stand in front of news cameras with a straight face and attempt to justify why awards should go up by 6%, reducing job opportunities for her members, when most managers are taking pay cuts, being retrenched or on salary freezes just to keep companies profitable, and to do their bit. All hot on the heels of their jubilation of the new workplace laws which will make the labour force more rigid and will create further unemployment. It seems to me that the union and Labour movements are really about being seen to do something, even if that ultimately means more jobless people amount their ranks because they feel that they have some imaginary score to settle with "the rich", which in actual fact is cutting off their noses to spite their face... I often worry that our recovery will be slower than it needed to be, and despair over what mess our children are going to be left to clean up after the debt binge morphs into the inevitable hangover...

There you go, enough soap box for a Friday evening...
      07-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #19
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I am not against helping people in need, and I am not against paying my fair share of taxes, as much as I don't enjoy it. But what riles me up is that the current social climate fostered by Labour is one of us and them, something I never experienced during the recent Liberal era. There is resentment against people who have done better and that is a bit rich, because they are happy to take our taxes, so why kick us in the teeth as a thank you.

Also this whole anti-capitalist sentiment conveniently glosses over the fact that those who have taken risks to develop businesses, or sacrificed to climb to a managerial position are those who create the job opportunities for these so called "working families". Shouldn't success then be celebrated, because through the success of entrepreneurs all our boats lift with the same tide, be it community engagement, the payment of taxes, the provision of jobs directly, or the spending of the capital that they have accumulated which creates jobs in secondary markets.

It amazes me that Sharon Burrow can stand in front of news cameras with a straight face and attempt to justify why awards should go up by 6%, reducing job opportunities for her members, when most managers are taking pay cuts, being retrenched or on salary freezes just to keep companies profitable, and to do their bit. All hot on the heels of their jubilation of the new workplace laws which will make the labour force more rigid and will create further unemployment. It seems to me that the union and Labour movements are really about being seen to do something, even if that ultimately means more jobless people amount their ranks because they feel that they have some imaginary score to settle with "the rich", which in actual fact is cutting off their noses to spite their face... I often worry that our recovery will be slower than it needed to be, and despair over what mess our children are going to be left to clean up after the debt binge morphs into the inevitable hangover...

+1
Nice opus.

I totally agree with what you've said. As for the rationale behind this backward mentality, i think it all comes back to tall poppy syndrome. Which i believe stems all the way back a couple of hundred years to our convict settlers and the animosity they felt towards the british and those in power. Otherwise I can't think of a good way to rationalise it, as you don't get such an attitude anywhere else in the world.

As for the recovery, i think from some of the previous economic discussions i've participated in on here, i'm a bigger bear than most & don't think the whole Australian 'oh it can't happen here' mentality is going to get a rude wake up call in the next few years.

Love the unions & the related workplace laws, they just don't get it. But then again thier communist forefathers never got it either... So there probably isn't much point trying to debate with them... Kind of feels like waiting for the catholic church to apologise to Copernicus... they'll eventually come around, only about 400 years too late.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 12:57 AM   #20
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Socialists mate; tax the 'rich' and give it to people who do nothing. Unfortunately labor voters who are happy to feed off others are also good breeders...

The $900 handout annoyed me. The govt handed out money they didn't have, while the people who paid for it didn't see a cent. Almost like a popularity stunt - and our kids will be paying it off in 20yrs from now!

I was devastated to hear bligh was voted in to QLD, I just cannot understand people's logic. Oh well, if things don't swing next federal election, i'm packing up and moving o/s.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:30 PM   #21
Durin's Bane
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

We do get screwed over here in many ways, car pricing being just one area.

Unfortunately there are many drawbacks to being an aspirational person in Oz. We live in the tall poppy hating capital of the world. Anyone who is perceived as successful is considered a w###er or d###head.

Anyone ever read the numerous reports on our Diaspora back in 2003 or 2004? The Liberals were trying to determine why 5% of our population live overseas and most never come back. And back then the number was increasing year by year. Interestingly enough, "tall poppy syndrome" was one factor, along with:

- High taxes
- Minimal benefits
- No recognition of post graduate education, or tertiary education in general
- Size and scale of work and projects
- Prestige of location
- Etc.

Personally if the resources boom hadn’t come along I would have transferred to Asia or the Middle East. My former colleagues and numerous relatives who work as expatriates in places like Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore etc aren't complaining with their "lifestyle" one bit.

I won't comment on unions other than to say that having worked in Construction and Mining I have first hand experience of how despicable they are, and how lazy their reps are as well.

And I still can't believe people in NSW have been voting for Labor for 15 years...

End of mini rant!
2010 BMW 123d Coupe - Sapphire Black, Lemon Leather, Walnut Trim, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Professional Hi-Fi, CD Stacker, Professional Navigation, Heated Seats, Front & Rear PDC, BMW 18" Performance Wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #22
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

What is particularly irritating is that I missed out on the extra 50% depreciation allowance for small business as I bought my car 3 weeks too early.

That is effectively a bonus of 45% of half the value of the car up to the luxury car limit - up to nearly $13,000 extra for those who qualify.

I don't begrudge those who benefitted prospectively once this was introduced, but why backdate it a couple of months?

LOL I saw a grubby 1991 318i, quite tidy, with 'clean me you rich bastard' fingered into the dirt. Rich?!
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0