E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New mods for my car - VIP Tuning cold air intake and charge pipes - pictures inside

01-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #67
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

Nope, that's not the same VIP Tuning.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #68
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Nope, that's not the same VIP Tuning.

bump
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #69
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Trust me i wouldn't say it if i thought what this jay guy did is a one time thing. This guy is a crook with a small time shop don't buy anything from him. He stiffed someone I know personally for 800 dollars.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #70
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by revah2 View Post
Trust me i wouldn't say it if i thought what this jay guy did is a one time thing. This guy is a crook with a small time shop don't buy anything from him. He stiffed someone I know personally for 800 dollars.
Are you talking about the time someone paid him to install some audio equipment? I heard that story, he took the money from him to do some audio work, but never did it. Or is this a different story?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 12:33 PM   #71
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideelement247 View Post
Are you talking about the time someone paid him to install some audio equipment? I heard that story, he took the money from him to do some audio work, but never did it. Or is this a different story?
...very interesting.
and did this incident(s) happen recently? or many years ago?

i am sure alot of forum members are interested in how this pans out.
i myself was thinking of buying their intake.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 12:37 PM   #72
AU335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Ive already ordered the CAI. Mike said it would ship out Monday...i guess we will see.

So far, customer service by them is EXCELLENT!! Best i have ever experienced by any vendor so far. However, still havent got my CAI yet, so i cant say they are Perfect just yet. Ill keep you guys updated
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #73
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
...very interesting.
and did this incident(s) happen recently? or many years ago?

i am sure alot of forum members are interested in how this pans out.
i myself was thinking of buying their intake.

thanks
Not too long ago, I assume. I just heard that from the grapevine. A lot of SFL guys know of him and his shop and friends, etc. I would prefer not to talk about this publicly on a forum, don't want to be threatened or anything like sflgator was.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #74
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU335 View Post
Ive already ordered the CAI. Mike said it would ship out Monday...i guess we will see.

So far, customer service by them is EXCELLENT!! Best i have ever experienced by any vendor so far. However, still havent got my CAI yet, so i cant say they are Perfect just yet. Ill keep you guys updated
Good luck man and keep us updated. I am sure a lot rides on this as customers are always watching.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 05:33 PM   #75
Evo8MRto335I
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: can't list them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaRTan8 View Post
So with this line of thinking, ambiet air temps don't matter for turbo cars? So a turbo car will not make more HP on a 45*F day than it would on a 95*F day? The end result for AIT is directly connected to the ambiet temp of the air ingested. The temperature delta due to compression and intercooling should remain constant given other variables are constant. One way of determining this is to put utilize an open filter element in the engine bay and record AIT. Then reproduce the senerio with a CAI. I bet the AIT will be lower.
Your line of thinking got in the right path but then you stopped. Off course the ambient temperature has a big influence and that is why the intercooler plays the big role in the cooling. The intercooler gets affected by the exterior temperature but as you can see the intercooler is past the AIR intake which makes no difference(temperature wise) in a turbo car at all.

So, yes the ambient temps affect the HP but because of the intercooler job and not much of the air intake (temp wise).

The intercooler will always make a big difference because is gets affected directly by the exterior temp. The ambient temp should be indifferent when gets sucked by the air filter because it will be heated on the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #76
Helix Wildebeest
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Mini TurboKompressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo8MRto335I View Post
Your line of thinking got in the right path but then you stopped. Off course the ambient temperature has a big influence and that is why the intercooler plays the big role in the cooling. The intercooler gets affected by the exterior temperature but as you can see the intercooler is past the AIR intake which makes no difference(temperature wise) in a turbo car at all.

So, yes the ambient temps affect the HP but because of the intercooler job and not much of the air intake (temp wise).

The intercooler will always make a big difference because is gets affected directly by the exterior temp. The ambient temp should be indifferent when gets sucked by the air filter because it will be heated on the turbo.
What road going intercooler do you know that has 100% efficiency? Tit for tat. When you start with a cooler air charge you end with a cooler air charge. We went through all these exercises with my S4 and prooved that both cold air and ram air does in fact have a positive effect on turbo cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 07:09 PM   #77
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

it was something like 800 dollars worth of equipment and im not sure if it was aduio
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #78
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it was something like 800 dollars worth of equipment and im not sure if it was aduio
I heard audio, but yes, confirm on that story, heard it myself as well. Of course there are others, but I don't feel like being the basher and getting VIP's business cards implanted into my weatherstripping.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #79
turbotko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

Quote:
So with this line of thinking, ambiet air temps don't matter for turbo cars? So a turbo car will not make more HP on a 45*F day than it would on a 95*F day? The end result for AIT is directly connected to the ambiet temp of the air ingested. The temperature delta due to compression and intercooling should remain constant given other variables are constant. One way of determining this is to put utilize an open filter element in the engine bay and record AIT. Then reproduce the senerio with a CAI. I bet the AIT will be lower.
You are correct, anybody that actually uses "math and science" to calculate turbo parameters knows that COMPRESSOR INTAKE TEMP is a variable in figuring COMPRESSOR OUTLET TEMP. Raise the compressor inlet temp and the compressor outlet temp also climbs.......which last time I looked lowers air density

COLDER AIR GOING INTO THE COMPRESSOR MEANS COLDER AIR COMING OUT..........PERIOD.
      01-06-2008, 09:35 PM   #80
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

Didnt want to have to call you out VIP. But there are no secrets here and I'd appreciate it if you stopped PMing me. Here are the PMs VIP Tuning sent me when i related my information to you guys

Quote:

Originally Posted by vip_tuning
You should watch what you say about someone you dont know. I will leave it as that. But if you want to judge someone by its book cover then go ahead! But if you dont know the story and wanna listen to a "SORROW" story then go ahead.... but i did not or have no intentions to stiff no one!

Originally Posted by revah2
Look man im just relating what i heard and the members have a right to know. I dont see a reason for the person who told me to lie to me. And if there is such a story why dont you clarify for the members....

What are you relating to!?? Look people want to say things and have stories but i dont have time for stories or games,im here to R&D THE 335I and have my products to release.So if dont know a person that you talk about, I highly advise you to watch what you say about a person.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2008, 11:13 PM   #81
335iheLLraiseR
اوليسيس
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Garage List
2007 e92 335  [10.00]
Quote:
Didnt want to have to call you out VIP. But there are no secrets here and I'd appreciate it if you stopped PMing me. Here are the PMs VIP Tuning sent me when i related my information to you guys

Quote:

You should watch what you say about someone you dont know. I will leave it as that. But if you want to judge someone by its book cover then go ahead! But if you dont know the story and wanna listen to a "SORROW" story then go ahead.... but i did not or have no intentions to stiff no one!

Originally Posted by revah2
Look man im just relating what i heard and the members have a right to know. I dont see a reason for the person who told me to lie to me. And if there is such a story why dont you clarify for the members....

What are you relating to!?? Look people want to say things and have stories but i dont have time for stories or games,im here to R&D THE 335I and have my products to release.So if dont know a person that you talk about, I highly advise you to watch what you say about a person.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
how is he sending you PMs? i thought he was banned?
Anyone who can transition seamlessly from defending one vendor and bashing another vendor to bashing the one he formally defended and defending the one he formally bashed has a instant credibility problem.
<---Sign up Now for Bonus Storage! Up to 10gb!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #82
revah2
Lieutenant
Rep

I mean if he didnt stiff anyone why is he sending me PMs?
Why not clarify to you guys if there was a story going around that was hurting his reputation?
This guys a coward and I don't know why or how he PMd me if he was banned, but he did anyway....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #83
Miami Bimmer06
I got Twiinz
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ladies Wild

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I Guess Thats Why They Got Banned.
      01-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #84
CanadianTSi
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535 xDrive Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotko View Post

COLDER AIR GOING INTO THE COMPRESSOR MEANS COLDER AIR COMING OUT..........PERIOD.
This is correct, anyone who thinks a Cold Air Intake won't help a Turbo car is just plain wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #85
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
To me, that charge pipe length makes your Cold Air Intake a Hot Air Intake. I think you'd be better off with a Short Ram rather than running your intake charge through a pipe that's been cooking under your engine bay. A less constrainted path and feeding volume is far more important than the few degrees difference in air temp at the intake.

Plus, intakes haven't proven to make worthwhile power until relatively advanced modding is in place, which means it's only when more volume is needed that gains are seen, not intake temp (otherwise the substantial improvements would happen regardless of tune / mods because of the "truth" to air temp.

Quote:
I don't have any dynos yet
All due respect, then please stop wasting our time with your butt dyno readings. If you want to market a product, give us some decent data to work with.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #86
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
So with this line of thinking, ambiet air temps don't matter for turbo cars? So a turbo car will not make more HP on a 45*F day than it would on a 95*F day?
That line of reasoning is correct. A Turbo car WILL make more power on a cooler day, not because of the temp of the pre turbo charge, but because of the better thermal exchange at the IC.

Compressing air, and running it through a machine connected to 1200 degree exhaust gas is going to nullify the tiny change in intake temps (if you believe there will be any cooler temps from a hot air intake ). The IC is the portion of the system meant to cool the charge. If you want a cooler charge, start there. Start with bigger core, better exposure, thermal wrap etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #87
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
I mean if he didnt stiff anyone why is he sending me PMs?
Why not clarify to you guys if there was a story going around that was hurting his reputation?
This guys a coward and I don't know why or how he PMd me if he was banned, but he did anyway....
This forum is hilarious.. So from what I have been reading in the past few posts revah, you haven't given him any reason to defend himself. What you said is heresay. It is kinda like me saying "I heard you have received drug charges in the past and have recieved multiple DUIs. But don't hold me to it, it's just what I heard." Obviously, I have no idea who you are or anything about you but if I can convince enough people it becomes truth in the eyes of the naive.

All you are doing is attacking his credibility and not substantiating it with any evidence.
He is sending you PMs to probably keep it from becoming an argument in a thread that is about an intake. Not some personal problem you might have with him. What you are doing is hiding behind the public by posting his PMs, you sir are the coward.

I haven't been reading the forums in over a week and I come back to this garbage and PMs talking about how VIP got banned. Grow up people, if you don't like his product don't buy it. If you don't like how he does business don't buy it. But if you are gonna sit here and mud sling(and that is all you are doing) there are undoubtedly better things you can do with your time.

To all of those reading this wondering what all the drama is about...If you notice all of those that have actually had first hand experience with the company have no complaints and speak of them highly. It's only the friend of a friend or the "I know a guy" types that are complaining. In the end, it helps to be a smart consumer and see through the shit. And that is all this is in the end, shit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #88
hov333
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

there really is way too much drama. I subscribe to a thread to keep updated with it but everytime I go to read a new post, its someone replying with worthless info/drama/convo that has nothing to do with whats going on.
getting back to this thread,
What is the story with the intake. Is it available or still prototype
Appreciate 0