E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cluster Messed up, FRM Help?!

08-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #1
PaulSidiro
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Cluster Messed up, FRM Help?!

Hi everyone,

So on my 07 e92, I have the steering wheel lock fault. Decided to take the steering column off and clean the lock mechanism, in hopes it will start to work again.

While doing the work, I disconnected my battery for a few hours while all the steering column work was done. When I put everything back together, I installed the negative battery terminal and went to start the car, all HELL broke loose.

First off my wipers started swishing on/off without reason. The car was not starting only in ACC mode. Then when it did start, I got an instrument fault error (footwell module), none of the steering controls worked (turn signals, wipers). I checked the OBD and found another 6 faults, all of them reset aside from the instrument fault, which I assume is why the controls aren't working.

Battery is not OEM, previous owner replaced it with a Diehard battery. Charge was low so I am currently charging it overnight before attempting to figure what the heck is going on.

Any advice or feedback on a solution??
Did I pop a main fuse or something?

Cheers!!

Last edited by PaulSidiro; 08-27-2021 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If the cluster is totally dead there is a fuse which also supply's 12 volt's to the
OBD connector and the Instrument cluster. . No problem with using aftermarket
battery's. They should have the same amp hours and be of the same type
as what the car was programmed for . Choices are AGM and lead acid .
Lead Acid is more common.

Footwell modules are known to blow quite easily.

If you use battery back up from the cabin it will blow up the Intrument Cluster Fuse.
Battery Back up is not a good idea with these cars the battery distribution block
on top of the battery makes battery back up essentially and practicaly impossible.
You don't loose that much anyway.
A few errors on power up is normal especially the 4x4 if you have AWD it will go away
with turning the wheel lock to lock or going around the block.

A low battery will cause all kinds of phony error's . Make sure to measure it with a
voltmeter.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
PaulSidiro
Rep

Thanks ctuna,

Unfortunately, there is 12V power to the cluster and the warning lights are on.
After some searching online, looks like my FRM may be toast.

I'm looking for some repair options online

I did spark on the negative when reconnection, so maybe that did it?
I don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If the cluster is totally dead there is a fuse which also supply's 12 volt's to the
OBD connector and the Instrument cluster. . No problem with using aftermarket
battery's. They should have the same amp hours and be of the same type
as what the car was programmed for . Choices are AGM and lead acid .
Lead Acid is more common.

Footwell modules are known to blow quite easily.

If you use battery back up from the cabin it will blow up the Intrument Cluster Fuse.
Battery Back up is not a good idea with these cars the battery distribution block
on top of the battery makes battery back up essentially and practicaly impossible.
You don't loose that much anyway.
A few errors on power up is normal especially the 4x4 if you have AWD it will go away
with turning the wheel lock to lock or going around the block.

A low battery will cause all kinds of phony error's . Make sure to measure it with a
voltmeter.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #4
PaulSidiro
Rep

One thing to add after further research. My OBD does seem to communicate with the FRM, it erases the fault but the fault returns. Also both windows go up and down and the interior lights work.

The funny stuff is the wiper going off on its own, the HVAC fan turn on/off/on/off sporadically and all those codes on the dash and on the Foxwell meter.

Does this look like a failed FRM?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
PaulSidiro
Rep

Quick update:

Thanks again ctuna.
So every issue was resolved by removing battery, fully charging overnight and reinstalling. I had to erase a ton of fault codes with the Foxwell Scanner and everything seems in order.

I still have the steering lock issue which keeps the car from starting on occasion, but emulator is on the way.
Appreciate 0