E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Radar Detectors and Laser Jammers (BC)

04-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
bomiheko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Radar Detectors and Laser Jammers (BC)

Deciding between the STI Magnum and 9500ix and still can't figure which one to get. From what I gathered, the STI has the best range and detection, but the 9500 has other features like GPS and better false alerts. I drive mostly on highway 91 and in and round richmond and vancouver. Would the features of the 9500 be worth it? Radar detectors are legal, so the undetectable point of the STI is moot Also, with LIDAR being everywhere, what is a good jammer to use and where do you guys get it installed? Thanks!
      04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
bomiheko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

I can get a beltronics STI Driver for $250. Do you guys think that's a good deal?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #3
DE92an
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi coupe

Garage List
Sti magnum is very good I use it when I go to the states, but as for it getting laser signal it won't help you, you'll need the jammers, by the time the radar detects the laser signal it's already too late for you
      04-05-2014, 02:02 AM   #4
vanondemand
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M/T

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I had the 9500ix the GPS feature is really handy to block out certain false signals, with really good range also. I drive daily from Surrey to Downtown Vancouver and 99.9% of the time its KA band radar that the 9500 picks ups long before they see you. The only time I've been hit with laser alert was in West Vancouver... I guess they can afford them.

As for Laser/lidar I had the Laser Interceptor BMW system installed in my car, if you want the best and a proven system, Laser Interceptor is the only way to go. I bought the Quad version with dual front and rear shifters. However I sold off the system after a year because I have not encountered laser, its not very common around here, they tend to set up laser traps at known locations like on Marine Drive in Vancouver / going down Knight street bridge etc. so that's to your discretion if you want the full protection package.

As for installation I did it myself, you have to be careful to get the laser heads perfectly angled. I recommend you join the Radardetectorforum (RDF) for valuable info.
Appreciate 0