E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > UPSolute 325I/330I Retune (Chip) Available!

02-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #133
garyw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03' RSX-S

I will get some pics tonight
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #134
marcg
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Gary,

What about the voiding of the warranty question asked earlier? What about some before and after dyno charts on a 330i??
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #135
garyw
Enlisted Member
Rep

I cannot guarantee dealers will not void warranty, but there is a law which says dealers cannot void for modifications done to the car unless they can prove it is related to the modifications. Also the software is tuned based on the factory program, so all vehicle data, vin, software version will be shown the same.

Here are the process of removing the ECU.

The ECU box is under the smaller left cover. So basically remove the cover on the passenger and driver sides

Now you see hte white box which has the ECU in it.

Basically remove all the screws attaching the air filter enclosure and a screw on each side near the covers which you removed earlier. Then you can pull the whole plastic tray out a bit to make some room.

Here you can see the black locking tab which you need to use your fingers to pry it out a bit inorder to open up the lid. Also you need to slid the 2 latch on top of the cover which you will see at the top

Inside now you see the ECU

Pointing at the wiring harness which you basically slide it out to remove it.

Basically remove the 2 connectors carefully and not cut anywires or pull it too tight. And pull the ECU out of the box

Here you see the ECU opened up

Here you see how the ECU is reprogrammed with our special equipment. No soldering is needed as it communicates directly by tapping into the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 07:11 AM   #136
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyw
I cannot guarantee dealers will not void warranty, but there is a law which says dealers cannot void for modifications done to the car unless they can prove it is related to the modifications. Also the software is tuned based on the factory program, so all vehicle data, vin, software version will be shown the same.
Also the entire warranty is not "voided". If you bring in your car for warranty work and they determine the problem was caused by third-party stuff they just won't fix that one thing. Simple as that.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Mods: Polorized Film for Business CD, added lumbar, rock chip on hood
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #137
wu852
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 325i

can we see dynos for 325 and 330 to see hp gains and etc
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #138
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Also the entire warranty is not "voided". If you bring in your car for warranty work and they determine the problem was caused by third-party stuff they just won't fix that one thing. Simple as that.

oh that's good, as the software only controls THE ENGINE, sounds like a minor thing to me
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #139
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
oh that's good, as the software only controls THE ENGINE, sounds like a minor thing to me
Hey I'm just clearing that up. You can still get your window regulators replaced.

E90 325i Monaco Blue, Black Leatherette, Sport, Cold Weather, Xenon, Sat Prep, 18" BBS RGR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #140
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflash
Hey I'm just clearing that up. You can still get your window regulators replaced.

also your window washer pump would still be covered
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2006, 11:57 PM   #141
Huncowboy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5, '19 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretender
Basic physics, hmm...hmm. Laws of thermodynamics didn't say so in "Conservation of Energy".
Where do you get an additional energy source to give you extra horsepowers if it's not from the fuel? Remember that "energy can be converted from one form to another, but it cannot be created or destroyed".
Thermo actually does say that more efficiency results in better power with less fuel. Very simple... there is one and only one perfect fuel air ratio for any given engine. That ratio provides the most heat. Most heat also means most energy exchange. If that energy gain does not have some negative effect on the design it can and will result in power AND fuel gain if your engine was operating over this ratio.

In airplanes you do this all day long. As you climb you start to choke your engine from fuel to compensate for the loss of air pressure around you. With the mixture control you lean (=take away fuel) until you reach peak exhaust gas temperature. The way you know you have reached your max performance is by reading the EGT gauge and finding the leanest point above which if you keep leaning further there will be a temperature decrease instead of increase. That is why it is called "peak EGT". Right around that same point you have your best performance. So you take away fuel and you still gain energy... sounds nuts but it is true.

But here is why manufacturers don't do this: Once you have found this peak point you increase your mixture again until you read around 50F lower from the peak in order to run the engine cooler to avoid detonation and reduce wear and tear. In addition in most planes you only have one EGT probe in only one of the cylinders thus you never know if any other cylinder runs hotter than the one that has the probe. Running engines over the peak is a bad thing.

Thus to me and any of you who fly planes power increase and fuel efficiency at the same time makes perfect sense if it has to do with leaning. There are other ways to gain power which I am sure will normally increase fuel consumption... but I am not much of a tuner I like my cars stock so I would not know. I myself associate extra power with frequent fuel stops as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 06:25 AM   #142
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe

why has this thread been allowed to go seven pages with no dyno charts?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 07:04 AM   #143
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt
why has this thread been allowed to go seven pages with no dyno charts?
He he Especially with the potential customer base here.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 10:49 AM   #144
marcg
Rep

Looks like HorsepowerFreaks will have the turbo kit complete with dyno charts before Upsolute can get a dyno chart for an ECU upgrade only???

Marc
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #145
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

This thread should have begun with dyno charts, pics, prices and locations.

Credibility blown, I'll wait for Turner or Dinan to show up with a chip.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 11:13 AM   #146
MonacoBlueNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman

agreed
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 03:51 PM   #147
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman

Let's not overreact, here. They are just keeping us informed on what they're doing.

Dinan or Turner wouldn't bother with that.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 05:35 PM   #148
garyw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Still no dynos because of one of the dynos we regularly go to are having their dyno being serviced. The other one they have moved too far away and not answering to phone calls as well.

Also another problem is finding people with time to put the car on the dyno for us, even though my parents have a 325i as well, but it is very hard for me to take their car for 1/2 a day and use my car as they can't drive manual. I have asked a friend with a E90 325i to dyno for me and should be in the next few weeks. Originally "Guess" was suppose to do the before/after dyno for me, but I haven't got any words back from him yet as last time I heard from him he was extremely busy.

Locations and specs can be found at www.upsolute.ca Please email gary@upsolute.ca for prices. I have already remapped 4 325i locally and 2 of them called back and was happy with the remap. Still have to wait for the other 2 to call me back.

And reply to the post above, there is pics, prices, locations in this thread if you read it through.

And to add if anyone with a 325i or a 330i in manual transmission locally would like to help me out to do a before/after dyno, I will work out a deal on the remap. I will be covering the costs of the dyno as well.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #149
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

I said the thread should have BEGUN with all the info.....I have read every post. Anyway doesn't matter, sorry for being a bitch.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #150
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

unsubscribe to thread, cause its useless...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #151
E90Boy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F33

I just brought my car in about 2 weeks ago and they said that my software needed to be update, so what's the newest release for software update?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #152
will1z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Thermo actually does say that more efficiency results in better power with less fuel. Very simple... there is one and only one perfect fuel air ratio for any given engine. That ratio provides the most heat. Most heat also means most energy exchange. If that energy gain does not have some negative effect on the design it can and will result in power AND fuel gain if your engine was operating over this ratio.

In airplanes you do this all day long. As you climb you start to choke your engine from fuel to compensate for the loss of air pressure around you. With the mixture control you lean (=take away fuel) until you reach peak exhaust gas temperature. The way you know you have reached your max performance is by reading the EGT gauge and finding the leanest point above which if you keep leaning further there will be a temperature decrease instead of increase. That is why it is called "peak EGT". Right around that same point you have your best performance. So you take away fuel and you still gain energy... sounds nuts but it is true.

But here is why manufacturers don't do this: Once you have found this peak point you increase your mixture again until you read around 50F lower from the peak in order to run the engine cooler to avoid detonation and reduce wear and tear. In addition in most planes you only have one EGT probe in only one of the cylinders thus you never know if any other cylinder runs hotter than the one that has the probe. Running engines over the peak is a bad thing.

Thus to me and any of you who fly planes power increase and fuel efficiency at the same time makes perfect sense if it has to do with leaning. There are other ways to gain power which I am sure will normally increase fuel consumption... but I am not much of a tuner I like my cars stock so I would not know. I myself associate extra power with frequent fuel stops as well.

In aircraft, if you have balanced injectors you can run 50deg over peak for even more fuel savings.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2006, 09:17 AM   #153
marcg
Rep

Gary,

You said 325 or 330 manual.....does that mean no remap for the 330 auto?

Marc
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #154
garyw
Enlisted Member
Rep

there is remaps for the auto as 2 of the E90's I did are autos. I'm just looking for ones with manual to put on dyno.

Gary
Appreciate 0