E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Burble Mod Dilemma

10-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #45
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

The Z4 has had burbles since 2009 with no obvious smoking issues.

In normal mode the Z4 the overrun is only 1.25 seconds and quite conservative. In sport mode it's 2.5 second and you get some louder pops and burble on overrun.

I'm not sure MHD burbles are identical though. I have tried using the MHD option in my car and it seemed to be a lot more harsh sounding and the car felt jerky on overrun.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #46
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: CL55 AMG

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Bringing up an old thread here but from all the cases I've seen its only been problems on n54's, and its true what some people say MHD uses the same burble as the oem tune and I don't think MHD would try and blow up your turbos on purpose...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #47
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinWake View Post
Bringing up an old thread here but from all the cases I've seen its only been problems on n54's, and its true what some people say MHD uses the same burble as the oem tune and I don't think MHD would try and blow up your turbos on purpose...
I just recently ran MHD burble on soft / 1 second for a month and love it. I don't see the point in aggressive and any longer duration of burbles. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #48
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
I just recently ran MHD burble on soft / 1 second for a month and love it. I don't see the point in aggressive and any longer duration of burbles. No issues so far.
Im getting my car back soon so will be doing a BEF but what would my settings be if I want just one or two loud bangs while the car is revving down? I think it should be very aggressive and low duration right?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:16 PM   #49
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Im getting my car back soon so will be doing a BEF but what would my settings be if I want just one or two loud bangs while the car is revving down? I think it should be very aggressive and low duration right?
That'll do it. Aggressive sounds like a damn gun shot lol. I played with aggressive for one drive and immediately turned it off, it was popping just shifting gears.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:48 PM   #50
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
That'll do it. Aggressive sounds like a damn gun shot lol. I played with aggressive for one drive and immediately turned it off, it was popping just shifting gears.
Yeah my car by default with no tune will pop on the upshift of some gears and sounds loud here is a vid

Anyways yeah if u got aggressive and long duration it will be annoying after a while
Appreciate 1
rjahl996.00
      02-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #51
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah my car by default with no tune will pop on the upshift of some gears and sounds loud here is a vid

Anyways yeah if u got aggressive and long duration it will be annoying after a while
How do you guys get pop when shifting? Maybe I press clutch in 2 fast? Sometimes I get burple/pop sometime no.... hmmm.

I would like to get pops every time I upshift. Right now I get some just when I let go of gas or if I rev when the car moves in neutral.

But that upshift pops wooooow. How??

EDIT: Hold the F up that's your car without MHD that pops like that?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:31 AM   #52
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

^ Could be catless downpipe. Unlike N54s, N55s don't have secondary cats making things louder when they just go catless.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 10:41 AM   #53
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
^ Could be catless downpipe. Unlike N54s, N55s don't have secondary cats making things louder when they just go catless.
Oh I was assuming they had N54 since it's under N54 sub forum.
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      02-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #54
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
Oh I was assuming they had N54 since it's under N54 sub forum.
I have an n54 and my car pops with soft and medium burble upshifts. I have BMS dp & muffler delete.. 93 gas
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #55
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
N55 E92 Xdrives do.
      02-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #56
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have an n54 and my car pops with soft and medium burble upshifts. I have BMS dp & muffler delete.. 93 gas
You got an auto or manual?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #57
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You got an auto or manual?
Manual
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #58
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Manual
Damn ok.

So your technically not even full catless (second cats)?

I get slight burbles sometimes from 1st to 2nd but that's it.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #59
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
How do you guys get pop when shifting? Maybe I press clutch in 2 fast? Sometimes I get burple/pop sometime no.... hmmm.

I would like to get pops every time I upshift. Right now I get some just when I let go of gas or if I rev when the car moves in neutral.

But that upshift pops wooooow. How??

EDIT: Hold the F up that's your car without MHD that pops like that?
Quote:
My car does that without burble tune and when I used to have the cats on it would also do it now just louder, what I do is shift and hold the clutch in a bit longer, but I also think its just luck cuz sometimes I shift fast and it would still pop just not as loud my car even backfires a bit when its cold for some reason at like 2k rpm but Im getting a new engine now so idk if that is gonna be the same
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:34 AM   #60
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My car does that without burble tune and when I used to have the cats on it would also do it now just louder, what I do is shift and hold the clutch in a bit longer, but I also think its just luck cuz sometimes I shift fast and it would still pop just not as loud my car even backfires a bit when its cold for some reason at like 2k rpm but Im getting a new engine now so idk if that is gonna be the same
Hmm ok.

Do you push in clutch quickly or slowly and then you wait before shifting or shift right away?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 04:35 PM   #61
MartinWake
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm ok.

Do you push in clutch quickly or slowly and then you wait before shifting or shift right away?
Anything works tbh shifting fast or slow maybe it does that when your engine is broken idk here is the full vid https://drive.google.com/file/d/18fH...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by MartinWake; 02-26-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #62
Timothi2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Touring

Quote:
Hmm ok.

The way the burble tune works is that it uses throttle position to know when to dump fuel into your exhaust for the burbles to happen. When you let off the accelerator, the car know it's going to decelerate and so it starts to dump fuel. However, when you have the clutch in, the car doesn't burble. Now, that being said, all you have to do to get the pop on upshift would be to let off the throttle BEFORE you push in the clutch and you should get at least a pop. You could probably get an automatic to do this too if you put it in manual mode and let off a tiny bit before you upshift. If you know the way the system works you can get it to do almost anything you want it do
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #63
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothi2 View Post
The way the burble tune works is that it uses throttle position to know when to dump fuel into your exhaust for the burbles to happen. When you let off the accelerator, the car know it's going to decelerate and so it starts to dump fuel. However, when you have the clutch in, the car doesn't burble. Now, that being said, all you have to do to get the pop on upshift would be to let off the throttle BEFORE you push in the clutch and you should get at least a pop. You could probably get an automatic to do this too if you put it in manual mode and let off a tiny bit before you upshift. If you know the way the system works you can get it to do almost anything you want it do

Haha thanks for the reply I managed to find a way to do it. I actually have to keep your throtle pressed in ever so sligthly and it works for me and pops up on normal upshifting.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #64
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

This thread is the greatest thing I've read in a while haha

My two cents would say any tune that you put on your car solely to make your car sound like the local gang is having a shoot out is probably not very healthy. I'm assuming the tune achieves the exhaust burble by forcing a rich mixture (?), which long term really isn't great. Yeah, you may be fine for 20k miles or whatever, but that doesn't mean it's ok for the car. Other cars are capable of achieving the burble because of how fast the transmission may be shifting and the built up exhaust back pressure. I'm sure there are also plenty of OEM exhausts out there that are built in the capacity of achieving "exhaust burble", especially with the technology for the electronic exhaust valves/baffles etc. I'm pretty certain the Lexus teamed up with JBL to achieve the exhaust note on the LFA...it's not like the engine just sounded like that the first go around. 🤷*♂️
      10-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #65
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothi2 View Post
There's no dumping of fuel here. Normally when you take your foot off the pedal the DME will cut fuel injection to the cylinder. With cars like the Z4 and 335is there is a short delay in the fuel cut after taking your foot off the pedal which causes a burble. The burble option in MHD just does the same thing and delays fuel cutoff.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 09:19 AM   #66
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

It still makes it run rich. The fuel is not burning in the engine, it's going into the exhaust and causing a backfire. Otherwise, you would never get the noise.

This is just like all the girls wearing jeans they bought with rips and holes in them.
Appreciate 0