E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > RE-11 vs 71r, any actual road course experience?

01-15-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

RE-11 vs 71r, any actual road course experience?

I was leaning towards the RE-71r for my new 17x9 APEX wheels in 255/40 all around for my track setup. But a number of people I have talked to say they wear out over a weekend.

Anyone have road course experience with the 71s and their lifespan?

I would be willing to sacrifice some grip and go with the RE-11s if I can get significantly more weekends out of a set.
      01-15-2016, 11:50 PM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

More grip = More wear.

How long will the tire last? Depends on alignment, surface conditions, driving techniques...etc.

For comparison, year before I ran on 1 set of Dunlop ZIIs and only 1/4 wear of Hankook RS3s

This past year I went through 2 sets of RE-71Rs.

All autocross, but can probably be applied to track
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I plan on using the RE71 for One Lap of America this year. I am a bit worried they won't last the entire event and get me disqualified for below minimum tread depth. I have heard they wear fast, but they run NT01 times on on the track so I don't know what choice we really have if we want to be competitive.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
I plan on using the RE71 for One Lap of America this year. I am a bit worried they won't last the entire event and get me disqualified for below minimum tread depth. I have heard they wear fast, but they run NT01 times on on the track so I don't know what choice we really have if we want to be competitive.
http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/

I get about 125 runs on a set of RE-71Rs. That with flipping for even wear.

I have no track data, but assuming you mean throughout the whole event as in the whole One Lap of America, I don't know.

I don't think they were easily available last year, but did anyone run RivalS or RE-71Rs?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I was leaning towards the RE-71r for my new 17x9 APEX wheels in 255/40 all around for my track setup. But a number of people I have talked to say they wear out over a weekend.

Anyone have road course experience with the 71s and their lifespan?

I would be willing to sacrifice some grip and go with the RE-11s if I can get significantly more weekends out of a set.
I keep hearing this, but everyone I hear this from has no direct experience with this tire... honestly I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it cause why would Bstone make a "street" class tire that wears out as fast (faster according to rumors/haters) as a rcomp tire? doesn't that just make it a rcomp tire with a couple more rain grooves?

Last edited by warmmilk; 01-20-2016 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk View Post
I keep hearing this, but everyone I hear this from has no direct experience with this tire... honestly I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it cause why would Bstone make a "street" class tire that wears out as fast (faster according to rumors/haters) as a rcomp tire? doesn't that just make it a rcomp tire with a couple more rain grooves?
It won't cycle out as quick as a Hoosier, no way.

However, there is some considerable graining of the tire depending on surface and driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
It won't cycle out as quick as a Hoosier, no way.

However, there is some considerable graining of the tire depending on surface and driving.
there are a lot of people saying it cycle's out faster than an NT01

edit:
not saying its true, just what people with no direct experience are saying
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
honestly I'm having a bit of a hard time believing it cause why would Bstone make a "street" class tire that wears out as fast (faster according to rumors/haters) as a rcomp tire? doesn't that just make it a rcomp tire with a couple more rain grooves?
Well, the entire reason I am using them for One Lap is because that is the case. There are some events and series where you may be restricted to a tire with certain treadwear rating. Having a tire that is as fast as a NT01 but in the same legal class as a Michelin PSS is a must-have.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
there are a lot of people saying it cycle's out faster than an NT01

edit:
not saying its true, just what people with no direct experience are saying
They don't heat cycle out.

I've ran 2 sets down to cords and they only get quicker as they wear. Mostly because you eliminate the tread squirm.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I've ran 2 sets down to cords and they only get quicker as they wear. Mostly because you eliminate the tread squirm.
its possible that its different with track use though vs autox
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmmilk
Quote:

its possible that its different with track use though vs autox
AutoX sees more heat cycles than track. So actually it's a worst case
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #12
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
but shorter sessions, so the tire never gets as hot. higher heat could be the factor that shortens its life..

but again, I am not saying this is the case, I haven't had personal experience with the tire. I'm really hoping short lifespan for track use is not an issue
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
but shorter sessions, so the tire never gets as hot. higher heat could be the factor that shortens its life..

but again, I am not saying this is the case, I haven't had personal experience with the tire. I'm really hoping short lifespan for track use is not an issue
I have tire surface temps via probe exceeding 135 each session.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #14
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
thats surface temps. its like something being in the oven at 300 for 10 mins or at 250 for an hour. the 10 min one will be hotter on the surface but the hour one will be heated all the way through

I'm not really saying one way or the other. I'm just offering a possible explanation of this tire actually does heat cycle out quick with open track use. and again, not saying it does, I've yet to hear direct experience past laptimes. all the "short lifetime with open track use" I've seen so far has been speculation.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #15
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
thats surface temps. its like something being in the oven at 300 for 10 mins or at 250 for an hour. the 10 min one will be hotter on the surface but the hour one will be heated all the way through

I'm not really saying one way or the other. I'm just offering a possible explanation of this tire actually does heat cycle out quick with open track use. and again, not saying it does, I've yet to hear direct experience past laptimes. all the "short lifetime with open track use" I've seen so far has been speculation.
Not really. A heat cycle is when the fire gets to operating temperature, and cools down to ambient.

We spray tires to avoid overheating. This stresses the tire as you cool it down. Because of this in a normal day we go through 6+ heat cycles of a tire. Versus a track you're lucky to get 3? Also the internal tire bands heat up very quickly and you do get residual heat. However if the tire heats up, overheats, does whatever for 30 minutes and then cools down. It's still 1 heat cycle

The oven analogy is okay for a wear perspective, but even there it doesn't take the effect how the abuse of the tires differs
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #16
ShortShift
Private
Rep
Drives: b7 a4

I have these tires and can easily say there is no other tire I would buy, period.

I use them for everything. My first set lasted me 4 hard track days, around 5000 miles and many, many hard canyon runs. They just reached the wear bars but do to them running a bit wide the sidewall was rolling over and i got a new set in 245 and its much better. For me 27psi R 29psi F cold is where they worked best for me. I rotated them once after the first track day after learning they liked the lowered psi with full warm lap I also did not flip them. I could have easily gotten another track day on them if I flipped them.

Tracks:
1 Buttonwillow event
1 Streets Of Willow event
2 Big Willow events
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
warmmilk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShift View Post
I have these tires and can easily say there is no other tire I would buy, period.

I use them for everything. My first set lasted me 4 hard track days, around 5000 miles and many, many hard canyon runs. They just reached the wear bars but do to them running a bit wide the sidewall was rolling over and i got a new set in 245 and its much better. For me 27psi R 29psi F cold is where they worked best for me. I rotated them once after the first track day after learning they liked the lowered psi with full warm lap I also did not flip them. I could have easily gotten another track day on them if I flipped them.

Tracks:
1 Buttonwillow event
2 Big Willow events
thats good to hear!

what car was this on?

what tire pressures were you running hot?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #18
ShortShift
Private
Rep
Drives: b7 a4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShift View Post

Tracks:
1 Buttonwillow event
2 Big Willow events
thats good to hear!

what car was this on?

what tire pressures were you running hot?
135i N54 6mt

To many mods to list but it has everything except for Limited Slip diff and subframe bushings.

KW V3 with swift springs

Hot pressures would go up to about 33-36 depending on if i did a cool down or not and how hard i was driving. To be honest my first set went to shit after the first track day. the sidewalls did not exist anymore. the middle strip wore out at an positive camber angle and im running -3.0 degrees. pressers were all bad and when i started lowered it it got much better.

2nd set i went from a 255/35r18 on stock square style 264s to a 245/40r18 on the same wheels. and its a world of a difference. i actually have more grip and dont spin as much from a 1-2 shift surprisingly.

with the KWs and re71rs i went from a 2:13 at Buttonwillow from my first time ever to a 2:04 my 2nd time ever.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2016, 04:08 AM   #19
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShift

Tracks:
1 Buttonwillow event
2 Big Willow events
Flipping is almost a must if you want your money's worth on these tires.

The center bar wears at a slanted bevel, so you'll actually wear the center quicker than the shoulder, regardless of pressures. This is because of the squirm developed on that center tread. Nature of the beast. I run -3.6* and still had the same condition you described. Everyone who has ever ran the tire has had this issue. Flip the tires halfway thru the life cycle and they will get even quicker when that center wears even (and you get a fresh shoulder)

I run 25 PSI on 17x9 255/40 setup, your pressures are definitely in the right range.
Appreciate 0