E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

10-22-2008, 08:49 AM   #2399
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: lookin'

anybody know what progman version the US is running right now? is it still 30.0.2 or 31? the reason why i asked is, from reading this thread v31 messes up your radio (as per Pavel and other euro members). my car is in the shop again cuz of the wastegate rattle, not to mention the lag was still there. i was also advised by my SA that my fuel pump has a recall (my pump was changed 3 months ago) as well, cuz i believe they're putting the newer one in. as far as i know, a progman update is necessary after the new fuel pump, so the last thing i would want is for them to install v31 and mess up my car even more. if v31.1 is out in the states, then i would be more than glad to test out this new version. so anybody know what version the US has right now? TIA.

Last edited by MMakoto; 10-22-2008 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #2400
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post
anybody know what progman version the US is running right now? is it still 30.0.2 or 31? the reason why i asked is, from reading this thread v31 messes up your radio (as per Pavel and other euro members). my car is in the shop again cuz of the wastegate rattle, not to mention the lag was still there. i was also advised by my SA that my fuel pump has a recall (my pump was changed 3 months ago) as well, cuz i believe they're putting the newer one in. as far as i know, a progman update is necessary after the new fuel pump, so the last thing i would want is for them to install v31 and mess up my car even more. if v31.1 is out in the states, then i would be more than glad to test out this new version. so anybody know what version the US has right now? TIA.
Probably not the answer you're hoping for...but... did you ask your shop? Shouldn't they be able to tell you?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #2401
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBMWE46M3 View Post
If they are talking about taking del on 09 models with v32 I would certainly think we would (as mere mortals) have the availability of this software. I cant wait to take a test drive in a new 09 if this is true just to see how the car feels compared to mine. I have a fecal sensation it will feel just like mine.
The biggest problem I have is that no other manuf. makes a car that "feels" as good to me as 135/335 do. That is really frustrating--I LOVED the car I made my purchasing decision on, and to get something that has been neutered is just crap.

I don't think I can find what I am looking for, because now it doesn't exist. Even the S4 will be a step down, and the S5 is too damn expensive. Same problem with a Cayman S....the 135 was exactly what I wanted....just so disappointing.....
      10-22-2008, 11:34 AM   #2402
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
The biggest problem I have is that no other manuf. makes a car that "feels" as good to me as 135/335 do. That is really frustrating--I LOVED the car I made my purchasing decision on, and to get something that has been neutered is just crap.

I don't think I can find what I am looking for, because now it doesn't exist. Even the S4 will be a step down, and the S5 is too damn expensive. Same problem with a Cayman S....the 135 was exactly what I wanted....just so disappointing.....
try a corvette. the 335's i tested last year felt slow as hell with no low end torque compared to my C5. same with the MZCoupe. one of the mags compared the corvette v8 with the ferrari v8 and said the corvette one was better.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #2403
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
try a corvette. the 335's i tested last year felt slow as hell with no low end torque compared to my C5. same with the MZCoupe. one of the mags compared the corvette v8 with the ferrari v8 and said the corvette one was better.
Don't need to derail this thread with ongoing discussions of what to buy now that BMW blows monkey gonads, but.... not many people would be willing to trade the quality of build of the 335 for a friggin C6 much less a C5. It's a matchbox car...but slightly worse put together and with cheaper plastics.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #2404
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have never like the Vette. I can admire it for being a relative bargain, considering what you get--but it always felt like a mid life-crisis car to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Don't need to derail this thread with ongoing discussions of what to buy now that BMW blows monkey gonads, but.... not many people would be willing to trade the quality of build of the 335 for a friggin C6 much less a C5. It's a matchbox car...but slightly worse put together and with cheaper plastics.
I would have to tend to agree--every GM or Ford I have ever been in rattles and makes weird noises. The build quality of all three of my BMW's has been superb. Not talking about long-term reliability here, since I only lease 'em and give em back, but there is an obvious difference IMO.

Anyway--back on topic about our neutered cars!
      10-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #2405
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

My Apr08 Build Doesn't Seem Laggy Either

As the title states, I have an April build 2008 335xi 6MT, and so far, have not been able to detect any significant lag. I have been following this thread closely, and finally registered so that I could log my experience.

While I can't claim the same expertise as others, I have had 2 turbo VWs, so I have a general idea about lag. I have tried multiple times to detect the phenomenon discussed, and so far have been unable to. I do not detect any significantly increased power above 3k, and do find relatively decent power at 1.5k. One caveat about my experience, though, is that I have a relatively short commute, and it's possible my engine isn't getting warmed up to the point where it switches from cold-start behavior.

Is it possible that the switch to 29.2 occurred later for xi models, or there is something different in the powertrain behavior of the xi making lag more difficult to detect? It might be interesting to do a 2x2 poll by build month (ie. March 08, xi or i, MT or AT, lag -- yes or no) to see if there are some weird variables at work.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:00 PM   #2406
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Probably not the answer you're hoping for...but... did you ask your shop? Shouldn't they be able to tell you?
yes i sure did ask my SA, but you should know us E90 posters would probably know more than they do.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #2407
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMakoto View Post
yes i sure did ask my SA, but you should know us E90 posters would probably know more than they do.
True! But, 31.x is in such a "limbo" state right now that you almost HAVE to rely on your dealer to tell you what they have at the moment. Make sense? Literally, they could have 30.2 today and change to 31.2 tomorrow, or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #2408
meyergru
No military grade
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

@swartzentruber:

By doing a poll, you would only get to know if there are any variables that influence "perceived" lag.

Take MT vs. AT as an example: Every page or so in this thread someone asks the question if it is dependent on that. We already know that both MT and AT cars are affected (O.K., this should be in the FAQ in the first posting). Had you taken the care to actually , you would know by now that build date is more or less out of the question since a shop visit could have changed what you have on the car. So, Progman release would be a better variable than build date - but most people (including me) don't know their exact version in the first place.

I doubt that XI vs. I has an influence, as already 135i vs. 335i has none.

Also, from what BMW has told me, they acknowledged to have a problem and told me that they will now fix it by a software change. In their opinion, my car has no "triggering condition" at all (they checked virtually everything) but still exposes lag.

Granted, if they knew about a defective hardware part before a certain build date and did not want to change that for any lag-affected car, they would probably react the same way.

I have yet to see anyone who has an affected software version and REALLY, REALLY has no lag. Many people have affected cars from the start (either because the car is build after 3/08 or they got it CPO with an update). They have never experienced a non-laggy car. Others don't know how the procedure to check for sure (take a look at Christos' posts on page 109 for an example). Some people got lag and afterwards said that the car has re-adapted when it was really THEM that re-adapted to the car's new behaviour.

That is why I think you'd only get "perceived" lag by a poll.

Last edited by meyergru; 10-22-2008 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #2409
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
After the tests, they had to update the car to the most current Progman release (at least v31.1) in order to get the new steering column working. I don't know if there will be turbo lag, but I think so and so does the foreman.
Dang meyer! Thanks for taking one for the team!
I don't think many out there would give up a lag-free car in the name of science! I applaud you good sir!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 02:42 PM   #2410
MMakoto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
True! But, 31.x is in such a "limbo" state right now that you almost HAVE to rely on your dealer to tell you what they have at the moment. Make sense? Literally, they could have 30.2 today and change to 31.2 tomorrow, or something.
just got off the phone with my SA, he said my car is in the process of updating to progman v31.1. not sure if this version would really reduce the lag as some has stated, but i should be able to get the car back this friday. i'll try to get a copy of the work order, or at least see that paper to really know that i've been updated to 31.1. will keep you guys posted for any changes of the lag and wastegate rattle.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #2411
marell01
Private
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport

I´ll get my ´09 on friday or in the beginning of next week, then I´ll report back to you guys immediately!
//M
      10-22-2008, 04:11 PM   #2412
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyergru View Post
I have yet to see anyone who has an affected software version and REALLY, REALLY has no lag. Many people have affected cars from the start (either because the car is build after 3/08 or they got it CPO with an update). They have never experienced a non-laggy car. Others don't know how the procedure to check for sure (take a look at Christos' posts on page 109 for an example). Some people got lag and afterwards said that the car has re-adapted when it was really THEM that re-adapted to the car's new behaviour.

That is why I think you'd only get "perceived" lag by a poll.
'

the lag is very noticeable in my car. when i let anyone try the car, they feel it right away - without me saying anything about it. i don't believe that all the people that say they have v81 and no lag are just not noticing it. From what I've seen, everyone with v80+29.2 complains of lag, and some people with v81 comlain and some with v81 say they have no lag.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 04:29 PM   #2413
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Boy meyergru, that's some serious hostility. As a matter of fact I have read the entire thread. I understand your point about build date, but I don't think its meaningless, as there may be plenty of people who haven't had work done, and still have the original version installed with the car. Just like you expect BMW to believe you when you say you do have serious lag, maybe you should believe others when they say they don't feel the lag.

There are certainly enough variables involved that perhaps only some segment of the population is affected. I do plan to try the suggested 5th gear start in 1.5k rpm test, to see if I can find it that way, but quite frankly, my car feels fast enough that there are few cars I feel I couldn't beat starting at lower RPMs, let alone a SMART car. Either people are stretching the truth, or there are degrees of lag, or some cars just don't have significant lag.

Also, I'm not sure why you think xi vs i is useless. Between 135i and 335i, those are identical powertrains, so there really is no reason to expect there be a difference. For xi and i, though, there are obviously powertrain differences that could influence either real or perceived lag.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #2414
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

It me yesterday guys, I really felt it. My car is stock now and this is my experience...

...I was driving with M1 mode and cruising about 20mph, then I floored it, I had traction and the rpm was SO slow that the turbo didnt kick in until 3.600+ RPM. This blows big time. It feels as if my car weighs more or somthing.

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #2415
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07/'09/'13 335, '16 340ix

swartz - if you read the whole thread, then you understand why some of us, meyerguru in particular, might be harboring some hostility. I'm sure it's nothing personal.

meyer - that is very interesting news. combined with the fact that we now KNOW some people are having hardware problems (good thing you didn't because it'd probably be a red herring in your case) I think it's realistic to continue hoping for a fix.

However, this year, as you put it, is running out quick. Only about 9 or 10 weeks left for them to meet that deadline. And IMO, since I was told back in July to "wait for the Fall" because the engineers were on vacation, a 12/31 would still be disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #2416
gabria
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

v31.1.1 Installed

So I got my car back on Tuesday with a new HPFP (my 3rd) and v31.1.1 installed. I'm still trying to feel the car out to see what the changes are but here are my first impressions:

Slight reduction of turbo lag, but it's still present - The car seems to take off somewhere between 2000 and 2500 rpm, instead of 2500 to 3000 rpm (but I could be dreaming - I'm going to push it harder in the coming days)

The engine sounds louder at higher rpm's - almost like a loud buzzing. But again, I'm going to push it to see if I'm imagining it.

iPod navigation is way faster... instead of pausing as you try to cycle through artists and tracks, etc... the words actually blur on the screen as you cycle through with no pausing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #2417
RBBMWE46M3
blaupunkt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spman montego

Garage List
2008 x5  [0.00]
1972 R75/5  [0.00]
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
As the title states, I have an April build 2008 335xi 6MT, and so far, have not been able to detect any significant lag. I have been following this thread closely, and finally registered so that I could log my experience.

While I can't claim the same expertise as others, I have had 2 turbo VWs, so I have a general idea about lag. I have tried multiple times to detect the phenomenon discussed, and so far have been unable to. I do not detect any significantly increased power above 3k, and do find relatively decent power at 1.5k. One caveat about my experience, though, is that I have a relatively short commute, and it's possible my engine isn't getting warmed up to the point where it switches from cold-start behavior.

Is it possible that the switch to 29.2 occurred later for xi models, or there is something different in the powertrain behavior of the xi making lag more difficult to detect? It might be interesting to do a 2x2 poll by build month (ie. March 08, xi or i, MT or AT, lag -- yes or no) to see if there are some weird variables at work.
Where about do you live in Chicago Swartz...I'm in Chicago too. I also have an April build 335xi 6sp man. Question for ya...have you ever driven a pre 29.2 car? when or if you took a car for a test drive did you know if that car had pre 29.2 or post 29.2? When did you take delivery? From the sound of your posts I don't think you really know what it feels like to drive a pre 29.2 car. So with that being said you are convinced that your 29.2 car is just fine until you experience pre 29.2.

meyergru is one of the original six in this whole thread. I can pretty much guarantee he has read EVERY SINGLE POST AS I HAVE. With all due respect, a red flag is raised every time a noob comes in here and says "I've got an 08 and I don't have any lag"

Like I said I live in Chicago and I am more than willing to meet up with ya. You can drive my car and if you would be so gracious to let me drive your car, I can give your statements credibility...

10-23-2008, 05:25 AM   #2418
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

just fyi, a 2009 e90 335 non-sport showed up on my dealer's lot yesterday (Dryer & Reinbold North in Indy). I'll call them today or tomorrow to see if I can arrange for a drive...I for one am very curious if the 2009s exhibit the lag....I bet they do.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:16 AM   #2419
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

With all this talk and hostility in here, I cannot but wonder why no one has yet done a dyno? It will cost you $60 for 3 pulls? It will show your hp and tq from whatever rpms you want. If you guys are serious that you are not getting the advertised tq from the rpm that BMW claims to redline then the evidence is absolutely simple to get. It would take 20 minutes and $60.

How can BMW dispute that kind of concrete data?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2008, 07:54 AM   #2420
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2020 M135i Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
How can BMW dispute that kind of concrete data?
They Don't dispute It.
They say it's the new revised performance of all 335i's. Many of us here have received that statement including myself, I have it in my inbox. However they have not removed or altered the data sheet on their webpage.

Please read meyergru's post on previous page wich explains how the lag presents it's self. It can also stay undetected in a dyno.
Appreciate 0