E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Brake Fluid Flush?

05-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Brake Fluid Flush?

OK - just got my E90 back from a service - they used Motul 5w30 oil, stating that it's one of the best out there (techs use it themselves), so I am taking their word for it (reputable indy shop).

For the next service, they recommend a brake fluid flush - is this something that they should tackle or could I do this myself?

Also, looking for a good place to get spark plugs (which brand is best?), engine/cabin air filters, front brake pads/rotors and pad wear sensor?

Thanks!

PS: I'm in Canada, so I would prefer CDN sites unless US sites use USPS (UPS/FedEx just ream us poor Canucks)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Go for oem bosch plugs. You could definitely do the brake flush yourself but if you are paying a shop to do an oil change you should probably let them handle that too.

I use ECS tuning for all my parts purchases. Not sure if thar fits the bill for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep

I let them do the first one as I just don't have time right now - next one will be a DIY job! I'll look into the flush bit.. I can't see myself forking over $1500 for the next "service" when I can do it myself for 1/3 of that price :-)

Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakos View Post
I let them do the first one as I just don't have time right now - next one will be a DIY job! I'll look into the flush bit.. I can't see myself forking over $1500 for the next "service" when I can do it myself for 1/3 of that price :-)

Thanks for the input.

$1500?!?

In america an oil change, brake fluid flush, and spark plug change shouldn't be more then 500 total.
      05-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Cost of:
Oil change - $40 (Mobil 1 plus filter)
Brake fluid - $20 (DOT 4 ATE)
Spark plugs - $65 (NGK from Advance Auto w/coupon)
Labor - FREE (DIY)

If you're about to fork out $1500 for that, give me $1000 I'll do it for you and even supply the parts!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Brake fluid is easy. All you need is basic tools and a brake bleeder bottle, but if you don't have the bottle you can make one for a few bucks out of a 2L bottle and a few feet of clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot.

1. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid from the reservoir. Fill it with the new fluid. It is not necessary but it really helps to use a different color brake fluid than the old stuff so you can tell when the old has been completely bled out. For example, if yours is the OEM amber stuff, change to the blue ATE fluid.

2. Remove wheels. Starting with the furthest wheel from the reservoir (rear passenger) loosen, don't remove, the bleed nipple with a normal box-end wrench. I forget which size, 8mm maybe? It's small. Attach your vinyl tubing to the nipple. With the fluid reservoir cap closed, start pressing the brake pedal repeatedly. You want enough tubing so that you can sit in the seat and hold the bottle, that way you don't have to keep getting out of the car to check on it. When no more of the amber stuff comes out and only pure blue fluid is in the tubing, re-tighten the bleed nipple.

3. Add more fluid to the reservoir. Repeat step 2 for the remaining three wheels moving in order of furthest from reservoir to nearest. Take care that you keep the reservoir topped up or you will get an air bubble and have to start all over again.

4. Dispose of your brake fluid propery. Be careful not to get it everywhere as it is very corrosive stuff especially to paint. Fill the reservoir to the fill line and you are done!

Parts can be had cheap on ECS tuning and they make kits for certain jobs. For example, you can get the rotors, pads and sensors all as a kit. that will save you money. They also carry OEM parts as well as OEM-equivalent and performance aftermarket parts. FYI, you can save lots of money on spark plugs by not buying OEM ones. Bosch and NGK both supply OEM plugs to BMW who then puts a BMW roundel on them and marks them up to around $22 each. You can buy exactly the same plugs (often at a local auto parts store) for $7-$10 each. They will have the same part number and everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep

Thanks guys!
The $1500 was for: spark plugs, engine/cabin air filters, front brake pad wear sensor, front brake pads and rotors and then of course the labor on top of the parts...

I can't see myself spending that for easy DIY stuff - which is why I asked here :-)

I'll be tackling the brakes, filters and spark plugs this Summer (working on Thesis and have no time to spare for a couple of more months).

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
chinko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I ordered from ECS, smooth order and everything was well packaged inside a box. Only downside is I chose 30$ shipping with UPS... ended up paying 150$ more for taxes, customs and broker fees. Their broker fees alone was 85$! Crazy, so be wiser than me and make sure wherever you order from, choose USPS.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #9
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone
Cost of:
Oil change - $40 (Mobil 1 plus filter)
Brake fluid - $20 (DOT 4 ATE)
Spark plugs - $65 (NGK from Advance Auto w/coupon)
Labor - FREE (DIY)

If you're about to fork out $1500 for that, give me $1000 I'll do it for you and even supply the parts!
Spot on and I would love to help as well for beer money...

Given the right tools this you should not have to go to an INDY for..
I just did Brake job yesterday. Changed front rotors and all pads.. Hardest part is getting the car in the air and secure and remove the caliper carrier.
Ecs also gives to you the option to choose what carrier you may like for your shipping.
      06-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
AdamN52
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (E90)

You can easily do all those jobs yourself (if you have the time) as long as you're mildly mechanically inclined and have internet access or a Bentley Manual.

I flush my brake lines whenever I change the pads.
Adds maybe 10mins to the brake job. Just get a brake bleed kit (LINK)from Princess Auto for $15 and get a friend to pump the pedal for you.

Then take your $1500 and buy yourself something nice

also, FYI Rockauto.com is awesome for ordering parts in Canada - maybe not rotors because of the shipping weight.
But all of the prices (once you select a location for shipping) include duties/taxes upfront. I've ordered from them 4 or 5 times now.

I actually get wipers blades from there SHIPPED for cheaper than I can at a local parts store in Toronto. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Take my advice, I've been bleeding brakes for the last 30 years or so. Get a Motive Power Bleeder.

Trained my Wife as my pedal pumper and she's been my brake bleeder partner for the last 27 years. Recently I decided to bleed my clutch. You can not bleed an E90 clutch by pumping the clutch pedal; you just can't TRUST ME ON THIS!. Bleeding the clutch required a pressure bleeder; it took 5 minutes with a Motive Power Bleeder (after 4 hours the day before trying every which way to bleed the clutch hydraulics).

Last weekend I had to flush my brake fluid for its 2-year interval. Pulled out my new Motive Products power bleeder. Took me 20 minutes and the Wife stayed on the porch having cocktails (much to her liking ). I even flushed the clutch again just because I could.

So my advice.... Spend the $55 on a Motive Power Bleeder and do the job correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
austin.tillison
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Take my advice, I've been bleeding brakes for the last 30 years or so. Get a Motive Power Bleeder.

Trained my Wife as my pedal pumper and she's been my brake bleeder partner for the last 27 years. Recently I decided to bleed my clutch. You can not bleed an E90 clutch by pumping the clutch pedal; you just can't TRUST ME ON THIS!. Bleeding the clutch required a pressure bleeder; it took 5 minutes with a Motive Power Bleeder (after 4 hours the day before trying every which way to bleed the clutch hydraulics).

Last weekend I had to flush my brake fluid for its 2-year interval. Pulled out my new Motive Products power bleeder. Took me 20 minutes and the Wife stayed on the porch having cocktails (much to her liking ). I even flushed the clutch again just because I could.

So my advice.... Spend the $55 on a Motive Power Bleeder and do the job correctly.
so glad you told me to get the motive power bleeder for my clutch job a few months ago. bleeding my brakes this weekend and I'll be using it again! cheers
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17267.00
      04-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.tillison View Post
so glad you told me to get the motive power bleeder for my clutch job a few months ago. bleeding my brakes this weekend and I'll be using it again! cheers
Great! I'm glad it works for you. I just bought the quick-release fittings for mine, and the BMW adapter to pressurize the cooling system (via the bleeder port).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #14
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
and the BMW adapter to pressurize the cooling system (via the bleeder port).
Never heard of this. Where do you get these? I assume it something to help push out coolant during a change.
      04-18-2019, 05:28 AM   #15
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin.tillison View Post
Great! I'm glad it works for you. I just bought the quick-release fittings for mine, and the BMW adapter to pressurize the cooling system (via the bleeder port).
Their official adapter seems to not mention E9x, but I'm assuming this bleed screw has been the same for awhile.

I was just looking for that old thread where someone was recommending a specific quick release setup. You test your set yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 05:50 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Their official adapter seems to not mention E9x, but I'm assuming this bleed screw has been the same for awhile.

I was just looking for that old thread where someone was recommending a specific quick release setup. You test your set yet?
Yup, most BMWs have the plastic-button bleed screw in the cooling system somewhere. All but my E30 have the plastic-button bleed screw (the E30 has a metal screw on the aluminum t-stat housing).

No, I've not yet tried the quick-release parts; I just got them a few weeks ago and have been doing other car work. I'll probably get to it this weekend and report back.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Never heard of this. Where do you get these? I assume it something to help push out coolant during a change.
Dude, this was like so last month ago

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596456
Appreciate 1
gjm1202181.50