E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > another high boost N54 engine failure

10-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #661
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
G4 doesn't adjust timing or even drive boost solenoids directly. I think customer loyalty is nice when it's earned.
More hate. You'd be surprised what you can do with CAN when you're not just using BT commands.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #662
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
BTW, How many tuned miles does Terry's N54 have? You have around 50-60K that include all those dynos and runs on the track, right?
Not sure how many miles Terry has on his car, but I will ask. I have about 50K on mine with the JB3, and its tracked (road course), dynoed, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #663
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
More hate. You'd be surprised what you can do with CAN when you're not just using BT commands.

Mike
This is funny. "BT commands?" They are HEX CODES sent over the CAN BUS. You yourself even said this defending your CAN implementation before as a response to allegations you were copying the procede commands. Do you mean the CAN id sent with the commands? Which of course doesn't matter?

Using your logic, there'd be a lot of pissed off programmers accusing others of using the "if" and "else" statements.
      10-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #664
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post

Nice, looks like those plugs were a bit easier to get to than on the J-Series implementation.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #665
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
Using your logic, there'd be a lot of pissed off programmers accusing others of using the "if" and "else" statements.
What do you mean, you have been using IF...Then as well?

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #666
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
G4 doesn't adjust timing or even drive boost solenoids directly. I think customer loyalty is nice when it's earned.
Didn't they say G4 will have CPS offsetting (autotuning)? I'm "REALLY" confused trying to wade through these marketing wars on every corner
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #667
DefactoM6
Sees the world the way it could be
United_States
Rep
Drives: '88 M6, '02 Z8, '09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Didn't they say G4 will have CPS offsetting (autotuning)? I'm "REALLY" confused trying to wade through these marketing wars on every corner
+1. I think it's a bit silly to speculate on something that hasn't been released yet, regardless of how likely the speculations may seem.
      10-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #668
phazedkid
e92
Rep
Drives: e92

Maybe all this talk about what G4 will (or will not) have will actually finally force Terry to implement CPS offsetting. Just so he can say, "see? F you Shiv," which will actually prove Shiv's point about BMS not having their act together and scamming people early on, etc. etc.

oops. did I just spoil this soap opera?

In all seriousness, I'm learning a lot from the technical discussions in this thread. Thanks and keep it up. BTW, it would be GREAT if Corky can contribute here.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #669
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Marketing wars? That is a joke right?
      10-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #670
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottp999 View Post
Sometimes I like to take a stroll down memory lane, to May 2007, when Terry first offered for sale a $2 Terry Tuner where he would take .50 cents up front, based on info that was posted earlier. The start of a not so friendly battle:

The war started here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...y+tuner&page=2
Here we go.....it's on!!!!

Seriously, people with a join date and not following this forum before 3+ years ago and when Terry started all of his "tuning", would be surprised what wagon they are hitched to.

If it isn't obvious with all the facts Shiv and other's have posted who knows WTF they are really doing, then there is no hope for them. Terry counts on that...and Mike for that matter...
      10-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #671
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Marketing wars? That is a joke right?
what part of that sounded like a joke?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #672
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
Nice, looks like those plugs were a bit easier to get to than on the J-Series implementation.
About 5 minutes if your slow
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 10:35 AM   #673
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I have learned a lot from this discussion ......so I am glad the moderators kept the thread open!

I am not one to necessarily take the word of any tuner trying to sell me their product so I have learned to look for validation/affirmation of their claims from my own testing and research.

I have to admit that as much as I was a procede basher at the start.....when I started listening and thinking about what Shiv was actually explaining, then found cross-validation to his statements in external publications about engine fundamentals, I found him to have a lot of credibility.

I now understand why the Procede didn't feel as powerful as the JB3 in the pre-canbus era, because timing was being adjusted to give the customer a margin of safety when increasing boost.

This is not to say that certain customers who went beyond the recommended settings did not experience knock - they did.

In hindsight, I can see that there was some wisdom behind not pushing the limits too far.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #674
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's amazing Shiv knows so much about products that have not been released yet.

The G4 features autotuning, CAN, integrated gauges and options using the steering wheel controls and dash, and a new boost control system BMS has designed. In theory it could support isolated control as well (ala CPE/V4) but the new method offers advantages for daily drivers and automatics and is bog free for manuals. Also has progressive methanol inputs (again ala CPE/V4) and a few other new things. The PRO is a new from the ground up design using modern components (instead of those based in the early 90s) and among it's many additional features includes CPS, built in methanol control, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #675
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Nope... They will have autotuning that adjusts only boost. Timing control/cps offsetting is presumably coming with the new platform. Jb3 platform can't support it due to hardware limitations.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #676
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
It's amazing Shiv knows so much about products that have not been released yet.

The G4 features autotuning, CAN, integrated gauges and options using the steering wheel controls and dash, and a new boost control system BMS has designed. In theory it could support isolated control as well (ala CPE/V4) but the new method offers advantages for daily drivers and automatics and is bog free for manuals. Also has progressive methanol inputs (again ala CPE/V4) and a few other new things. The PRO is a new from the ground up design using modern components (instead of those based in the early 90s) and among it's many additional features includes CPS, built in methanol control, etc.

Mike
You just confirmed, again, that g4 doesn't offer timing control.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #677
Mark313
Private
Rep
Drives: none

You know its funny that Terry always tried to portray Shiv to be the one that is a liar and deceitful to his customers but in all actuality it was always Terry who was a liar and deceitful. Only the smart ones saw right through his tactics or if they had a lease and didn't care. And if they don't have a lease well I feel sorry for all the knock your engine has endured.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #678
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

So there's going to be a G4 and then there'll be a PRO board? Why is cps offsetting just not a core feature. As far as I understand it, for a piggyback, the only way of "directly" inducing timing "retard" (didn't say timing "control") is through CPS offsetting. The ability to induce timing "retard" is very important in many aspects.

NOTE: I am not calling it timing "control" as to not spur that discussion again...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #679
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
So there's going to be a G4 and then there'll be a PRO board? Why is cps offsetting just not a core feature. As far as I understand it, for a piggyback, the only way of "directly" inducing timing "retard" (didn't say timing "control") is through CPS offsetting. The ability to induce timing "retard" is very important in many aspects.

NOTE: I am not calling it timing "control" as to not spur that discussion again...
I'm wondering the same thing. I have no idea why a fundamental feature is subject to product segmentation.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #680
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

While I already know the answer, I'm looking forward to Mike's response. Probably something about the n54 not needing cps offsetting unlike other platforms that can benefit from it. And that it only has benefit in highly modified applications which only apply to 5% of the people. And other nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #681
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:

CPS itself is largely a useless feature. It would not have helped Sevak or any meth/race gas owner as they all disable it. It has not proven to help pump gas numbers or reliability either. Also as I said in an earlier post BMS is playing with some new CAN commands that influence the advance set point so at some point CPS itself might be obsolete as well. But for those that want it they've included it on the PRO board as it was easy to add on. The PRO board will follow the G4, but I don't have a firm ETA for you. Once the PRO board is out you should swing by and pop it into your car and give it a test

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #682
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Trust me, he's been through worse lol
the best (and funniest) times engine builder and tuners have is telling stories about stuff that went soooooo wrong... aw man do you remember.... ???

if you only knew what some of us have blown up in the past

but is all a learning lesson, time tested!!
Appreciate 0