E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Door panel turning to goo? Dissolving? Please help!

10-14-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
blueloco
Private
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Door panel turning to goo? Dissolving? Please help!

So I noticed a sticky spot on my door panel near the window. Figured it was some sort of goo that got on but I still don't know what it was.

What I did was first try armorall.. nothing.
Then some WD-40.. seemed like it was cutting through a little and black was coming up on my rag. But that didn't really work so I tried basically every cleaner in my garage and all I managed to do was spread it around. Probably made things much worse.

I am thinking now that maybe somehow the vinyl started to dissolve in one spot. It was tacky to the touch and the texture is less pronounced. This is just wired. Never seen anything like it before.

What can I do? Feel like a new door panel might be needed, or maybe a vinyl overlay over the top but that would be hard to make good.

Last edited by blueloco; 10-14-2018 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
Dashing328i
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
I have the same issue on the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Do you use lotion or other skin products?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
blueloco
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
No.. but I was thinking maybe it was something like that. I know sunscreen and bugspray can be mean to plastics.

I am going to take a look at vinyl restore products at the hardware store today... Hoping I can find something that at least will make it less sticky.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueloco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckanderson View Post
No.. but I was thinking maybe it was something like that. I know sunscreen and bugspray can be mean to plastics.

I am going to take a look at vinyl restore products at the hardware store today... Hoping I can find something that at least will make it less sticky.
I ask because when I worked at Mercedes we constantly had issues with door panels and stereo buttons dissolving because of lotions people used.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
blueloco
Private
Rep

So far so good... RV Rubber Seal Conditioner (Already had some in the garage so I stuck with my theme of spraying everything on it.)
This left a slippery but consistent finish on the problem area and the rest of the door panel. Other than the texture change the problem spot doesn't stand out and it is no longer sticky. Not sure how long it will last.

Some of the product highlights:
Quote:
Leaves a water-repellent film, offering reliable protection from the elements and resistant to corrosion-causing moisture
Prevents deterioration caused by road film, oxidation, and the weather
Reinforced with PTFE lubricant that prevents sticking and keeps rubber seals flexible, offering premium performance from your slide out
With foaming action
Easy-to-apply foam is a non-staining formula, offering you peace of mind
Works with all rubber seals and adjacent surfaces
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #7
Dashing328i
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Garage List
2010 328i  [0.00]
Post some pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I think you could have gotten similar results with a half dozen other products like leatherique. It was probably just a combination of oils on your skin, sweat, and the contaminates rising to the surface. Clean it with a leather cleaner then put a conditioner and sealant layer. Whether its Gtechnic L1, Gyeon Q2, Lexol, Sonax, Blackfire, no matter, just get a sealant on there. It will be a little slicker/rougher at first, but you want that as that's the sealant/protectant settling in. It will get a little more supple later.

Unless its actual physical wear (ie burnishing), you'll probably be fine.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
blueloco
Private
Rep

This is after a few days with the RV Seal conditioner. We have had some pretty decent rains so this got pretty wet and has seen at least a couple days of use. Mostly what I was interested in was it not being tacky but I thing it looks ok too, at least better than before my impromptu and hasty garage science show. I have been using the RV Seal stuff on my other vehicles for a few years now to keep the rubber gaskets from freezing. We get a fair bit of icing and just trying to open a door can cause significant damage, The conditioner prevents the door skin and seal from freezing together and does not may much of a mess. I think maybe it is for my interior now too... but I'm going to look into some of the products bluewater328 mentions. Overall the BMW interior seems fairly low maintenance. It doesn't get as dusty as my other rigs I think in part due to the excellent cabin air filter so i haven't done much other than wipe things down in the year since I owned the car. Probably time to read up
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #10
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

I'll add to this in saying that certain chemicals (like the lotion mentioned earlier) or cleaners may create that tackiness too. Sometimes even they need to be wiped down with water or you have to make sure it's not too thick when you apply.

Had a similar situation with some leatherique, which is a two step process (clean and protect). Well, I guess I hadn't wiped off the first part well enough so the next time it got wet, it got tacky after it dried. Lucky for me the formula actually gets motivated more when it hits water again, so it wiped off clean. Reapplied the protectant layer and it was all good. Topped off with gtechniq L1 to seal it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #11
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueloco View Post
So I noticed a sticky spot on my door panel near the window. Figured it was some sort of goo that got on but I still don't know what it was.

What I did was first try armorall.. nothing.
Then some WD-40.. seemed like it was cutting through a little and black was coming up on my rag. But that didn't really work so I tried basically every cleaner in my garage and all I managed to do was spread it around. Probably made things much worse.

I am thinking now that maybe somehow the vinyl started to dissolve in one spot. It was tacky to the touch and the texture is less pronounced. This is just wired. Never seen anything like it before.

What can I do? Feel like a new door panel might be needed, or maybe a vinyl overlay over the top but that would be hard to make good.
here is what I recommend.

. use https://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro...Cleaner-P1105/
. with brush https://www.amazon.com/COCODE-Detail...etailing+brush

. wipe panel with distilled water/microfiber towel
. seal leather, plastic, doors even entire interior with coating https://www.detailedimage.com/CarPro...P940/30-ml-S1/

above mentioned products reviews

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...ather-cleaner/

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-...wheel-coating/
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

I'm a big fan of the chemical brothers stuff.

but I'm also replacing my passenger door pull because a PO got something on it that turned it to goo.

so be careful wht you apply o the rubberized interior bits, they do not seem solvent resistant in the slightest.
Appreciate 0