E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Windscreen cleaning problems. Glass Cleaner not helping much!

03-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Windscreen cleaning problems. Glass Cleaner not helping much!

I have terrible issues with my windscreen, lot so spots when its wet, driving in the rain becomes a pain in the a**.

When dry looks perfectly clean. When wet, I see a lot of water spots (mostly in densely populated rain drops fashion) and marks, along with the wiper marks and their paths. Pretty much similar state for driver side window (not looked carefully at other glass pieces), though it does not bother as much.

I use Stoner Invisible Glass with DI All Purpose Towel

The car has 2300 miles on it, bought in Mid October of 2010. Parked in covered carport except in the open at work.

Any ideas what else I can try?
I will post pictures soon. Perhaps a lot of people already know from experience what I am talking about.

PS: Never tried using P21S Total autowash on the glass while washing the car, I usually leave the glass alone when washing the car. Would that help clean up the grime on the glass? (Call me a N00b )

Thanks guys!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota

Last edited by bavarianboar; 03-13-2011 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: additional info
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Have you tried claying your glass?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

clay and machine polish

you will smile afterwards.
      03-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The Glass Science Glass Scrub will help permanently remove those water marks. In my opinion this product is a must have and I use it every time I do a full detail or even a semi-full detail. I then use the Stoner Invisible Glass to maintain the clean glass. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
The Glass Science Glass Scrub will help permanently remove those water marks. In my opinion this product is a must have and I use it every time I do a full detail or even a semi-full detail. I then use the Stoner Invisible Glass to maintain the clean glass. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg

+1 on the glass scrub, works great.
      03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks everyone for responses.

I read somewhere, clay can get into tiny pores and chips on glass caused by road debris and can possible make the windscreen look murky rather than clean. BMW uses this very soft windscreen glass for some reason which gets easily scratched and eaten into by chips and small stones on the road (I hate the gravel trucks on freeway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Greg
Thanks Greg. What do you recommend I use in order to apply this product onto the windscreen. And once applied (scrubbed), can I use water to wipe it off? Then dry the windscreen with a cloth, and use Stoner for final touches?

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post

I read somewhere, clay can get into tiny pores and chips on glass caused by road debris and can possible make the windscreen look murky rather than clean. BMW uses this very soft windscreen glass for some reason which gets easily scratched and eaten into by chips and small stones on the road (I hate the gravel trucks on freeway)

Thanks Greg. What do you recommend I use in order to apply this product onto the windscreen. And once applied (scrubbed), can I use water to wipe it off? Then dry the windscreen with a cloth, and use Stoner for final touches?

bump.

Still waiting on some advice.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Honestly I use the least abrasive polish I have on my windshield and forgoe the dedicated products. Works great, in my case it's Menz P85RD and then apply the same sealant I use on the paint to the windshield, BFWD. Clean with Stoners or Sprayway as they are relatively cheap and work well. I use my QD on the glass as well periodically. If you have paint polishes and sealers already give those a try first and save some money.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post

I only use the Glass Scrub on the exterior glass. For the plastic windscreens I use the Meguiar's PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish or a very light polish like the Menzerna PO85RD Polish. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:19 PM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i believe im experiencing same issue on new car. theres a haze/stain/marking when its raining and wipers are on.
Wipers squeak every other pass, maybe because of the windshield??
what products can I use that are available at auto zone or any retail store?
Also water repellent would be good.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 06:25 PM   #11
shawnsep
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M Sport

I had very dirty and contaminated exterior glass after it sat outside. During regular cleaning, I felt a lot of friction and resistance under the towel and streaks no matter what technique I tried.

Using rain-x eliminated every bit of residue, haze, adhesive, and sap that was on all glass. It's not specifically mentioned on the bottle, but it works wonders as a glass polish. It even removed the residue from the off-gassing of the dashboard without requiring a multi-step process.