E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 n43 320i - could a faulty/blocked EGR valve stall the car?

11-09-2018, 03:56 AM   #1
KK_01
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320i N43

E90 n43 320i - could a faulty/blocked EGR valve stall the car?

Also could it stop the car from starting?

Car currently not starting, these are the codes;
2CFB - throttle/throttle valve adaptation
2D09 - throttle valve
2A0F - exhaust gas re-circulation valve, adaptation
29CE - cylinder 2 misfire
29D9 - combustion failure at low tank level

going through process of elimination as to whats stopping the car starting and making it stall when it does start, thinking best idea to start with EGR?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Curved ball!

Try starting the car with the MAF electrically disconnected and let us know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
KK_01
United Kingdom
Rep

Tried unplugging the MAF, made no difference, the plan is to change the coil, plug and injector on cylinder 2 to see if that makes a difference, I suspect not cos it’s not just a misfire but the engine is stalling. Have ordered a throttle valve and EGR, changing both of those next so we’ll see how it goes both of these parts can cause these symptoms.

Will update when works done
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Ok, it was worth a try since it didn't cost anything.

I would begin with something that affects the whole engine. It is unlikely that a single cylinder going down will stop the engine completely.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
KK_01
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
I would begin with something that affects the whole engine. It is unlikely that a single cylinder going down will stop the engine completely.
Thats what i thought i misfiring cylinder wouldn't be enough to make it stall but having asked the guys at BimmerProfs they think it could be so i'm gonna change everything out on that cylinder just to be sure. Also i tried unplugging the Throttle valve in case it was because codes are showing for it but that made no difference also, so should i assume this part is ok? or would unplugging it make no difference anyway?

Changed the NOX sensor and erased all adaptations a couple days before the engine stalled, wondering could the nox sensor cause engine stalls, but wouldnt codes come up for this also?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 06:15 AM   #6
KK_01
United Kingdom
Rep

still no luck

i spent the weekend isolating the cylinders one by one unplugging the injector and coil from each cylinder but the problem was the same for them all i also changed the throttle body as i was getting a code for this but this made no difference also unplugged the MAF - made no difference

However the helpful guys over at BimmerProfs did an online diagnostic check in which i sent over 20 screens of INPA data to them and they suspect a vacuum leak/CCV issue because there seems to be too much air at idle - booked in with garage today who said theyll take a look and will also check compression on the cyclinders
Appreciate 0