E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > another Battery question

01-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #1
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 35D, F48 X1, M4, 911, 3.2

another Battery question

We will be away for 8 weeks early this year and my car, (E92 LCI 335D), will be left parked will no access to a power point so cannot leave the Battery on trickle charge, etc.

a couple of Questions:

1). Can I disconnect, (and remove), the Battery without causing any harm to the ECU and electronics?

2). Can I lock the car with the Battery disconnected and if so will I have any problems when I unlock the car to get to the Battery in the boot to reconnect it.

(I have always disconnected the Battery with other cars than we have and have not had a problem - but I have read that they could be a problem if I do this with the E92, especially over a long period of time)

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 01-02-2019 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

There are solar powered trickle chargers available but I have never used one so cannot comment on their usefulness.
The theory is sounding good though.

Again in theory there should be no reason why you could not disconnect the battery for an indefinite period of time but as has been written many times before BMW modules have a habit of throwing a wobbly with the slightest of power supply issues so would you want to chance it?

Alternatively there are vehicle storage companies out there that offer "maintenance packages" such as regularly starting the engine and checking tyre pressures etc. as well as keeping the car securely locked away that may be worth investigating if you can find one in a convenient area.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdb1 View Post
There are solar powered trickle chargers available but I have never used one so cannot comment on their usefulness.
The theory is sounding good though.

Again in theory there should be no reason why you could not disconnect the battery for an indefinite period of time but as has been written many times before BMW modules have a habit of throwing a wobbly with the slightest of power supply issues so would you want to chance it?

Alternatively there are vehicle storage companies out there that offer "maintenance packages" such as regularly starting the engine and checking tyre pressures etc. as well as keeping the car securely locked away that may be worth investigating if you can find one in a convenient area.
Thanks for your reply

I thought about a solar trickle charger, read up on them and most of the reviews seem to say that they are useless.

I have a NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter - basically a smallish lithium Battery pack that will start the car if the Battery is flat, and maybe if I connect that to the Battery in the boot, (although BMW say that you should not charge the Battery directly), or to the Battery charge points in the engine compartment, that should, along with the car Battery, last for 8 weeks - I just need to check this out to make sure that it is safe and will do the job.

anyone have any thoughts on the above??
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 05:48 PM   #4
undecided1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater335D View Post
We will be away for 8 weeks early this year and my car, (E92 LCI 335D), will be left parked will no access to a power point so cannot leave the Battery on trickle charge, etc.

a couple of Questions:

1). Can I disconnect, (and remove), the Battery without causing any harm to the ECU and electronics?

2). Can I lock the car with the Battery disconnected and if so will I have any problems when I unlock the car to get to the Battery in the boot to reconnect it.

(I have always disconnected the Battery with other cars than we have and have not had a problem - but I have read that they could be a problem if I do this with the E92, especially over a long period of time)
Any particular reason why you want to remove the battery? I've left my e92 330d for more than 8 weeks between uses and just started fine like I'd used it yesterday. Unless the battery is on the way out should be ok (ps battery was about 9 years old at the time as well although was the largest 90 agm type which probably helps).
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:59 AM   #5
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided1 View Post
Any particular reason why you want to remove the battery? I've left my e92 330d for more than 8 weeks between uses and just started fine like I'd used it yesterday. Unless the battery is on the way out should be ok (ps battery was about 9 years old at the time as well although was the largest 90 agm type which probably helps).
I'm just a little concerned as the AGM Battery, 90Ah 900A, is the original and is now over 7 years old - it is still good with standing voltage at 12.5v and the car starts first time

Last edited by Bluewater335D; 01-03-2019 at 04:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

My 330d battery is still the original one from factory built in 2006. It's still fine with my 2 drives per week. If I leave it for more than 2 wks without starting the engine, it does now begin to feel its age! The central digital display on the dash is slow to show and the clock slows. That's when I know for sure I need to charge it. I just bang on a Noco G3500 for a day or two to do its thing...sorted
For 8wks, I would leave the batt connected up to a smart charger like the Noco G3500 either in or out of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:43 AM   #7
Bluewater335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxlude View Post
My 330d battery is still the original one from factory built in 2006. It's still fine with my 2 drives per week. If I leave it for more than 2 wks without starting the engine, it does now begin to feel its age! The central digital display on the dash is slow to show and the clock slows. That's when I know for sure I need to charge it. I just bang on a Noco G3500 for a day or two to do its thing...sorted
For 8wks, I would leave the batt connected up to a smart charger like the Noco G3500 either in or out of the car.
"We will be away for 8 weeks early this year and my car, (E92 LCI 335D), will be left parked with no access to a power point so cannot leave the Battery on trickle charge, etc."
Appreciate 0