E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low Whining sound

05-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
trapahh
Rep
Drives: n54 335i

Low Whining sound

Lately I’ve been noticing a low whining noise during low RPMs. When I stop it goes away and only really notice it when I begin to press on the gas. I put it in neutral, give it a little gas and if you really pay attention you can notice it. There has been a time when I would hear the noise during start up but it goes away and even sometimes when driving, I don’t hear it even in low RPMs. The car functions normally, can do pulls and all my gauges read good. When I go up in RPMs, it seems like it goes away but I can’t really tell considering my exhaust is pretty loud. Ive recently had my water pump and power steering hose replaced. I somewhat think it’s the alternator. I called an Indy and they quoted me 1100 for new alternator and installed before tax. I looked online and the alternator does not look like it cost much. Is that low whining noise really an issue? Everything seems fine but just that. I would love to fix the problem before upcoming bimmerfest. Can it really be an issue or is it just whatever? what could it possible be?

2010 335i n54 96,xxxx miles
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

Hard to diagnose unless you post a sound or a Youtube video clip of it.
Did you notice the whining sound occur after you had the water pump and power steering hose replaced? If it was the alternator, you would start to notice some strange electrical problems or issues with your battery dying.
Does that Indy shop you called specialize in BMWs? If so, before you pull the trigger on replacing the alternator, go to that indy shop and have one of their mechanics ride in your car so they can hear it.

I bought my 2010 E92 335i new and it is nearly identical in miles (98,500+) to yours.
Don't notice any unusual noises on mine and I have the BMW PE.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #3
trapahh
Rep

I’m honestly not sure when the noise actually happened. I play my music loud and I can’t hear anything then the windows is up. It just sounds like regular engine noise sometimes. Nothing crazy but it’s just a little noise I notice when In the 1k-2k RPM ranges sometimes when idle. Kinda like something winding or spinning
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
These are mechanically noisy motors tbh. We got valvetronic, vanos, a timing chain and it's made of aluminium, magnesium alloys and plastic (AKA doesn't damp vibrations).

Way she goes
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

you check your power steering fluid levels? some times low power steering fluid will make a whine sound
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

I believe i know what noise your talking about even though its hard by just the description. When you say you use to hear it cold more than its the same noise in alot of the N55s, should be normal. It is i believe the vanos system. If you remove the oil cap you can hear it alot more. IT almost sounds broken but its not.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #7
trapahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
you check your power steering fluid levels? some times low power steering fluid will make a whine sound
This may sound odd, but what is consider low? It isnt topped off and it looks like its a little below the middle. I would hope that this is the problem because replacing the pump may be a little costly. I researched this forum and people seemed to be having the same problem. Same sound. The only issue is the noise. When i turn the wheel i dont hear anything so im guessing hoping it isnt the pump. Im wondering if i should just top it off but honestly it looks like a enough is in the tank already. Or should i just flush it and completely add new fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:39 PM   #8
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapahh View Post
This may sound odd, but what is consider low? It isnt topped off and it looks like its a little below the middle. I would hope that this is the problem because replacing the pump may be a little costly. I researched this forum and people seemed to be having the same problem. Same sound. The only issue is the noise. When i turn the wheel i dont hear anything so im guessing hoping it isnt the pump. Im wondering if i should just top it off but honestly it looks like a enough is in the tank already. Or should i just flush it and completely add new fluid.
Probably isn’t the pump then. Recently replaced mine, and the noise absolutely correlated to changes in steering, as you’d expect.

Sounds like your level is fine. No harm in topping it off a tad or changing it if it hasn’t been done for a while
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
E92booost
Rep
Drives: E92 6 speed 335i

Is it xdrive
      06-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
trapahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92booost View Post
Is it xdrive
No, just rear wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #11
trapahh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
Probably isn’t the pump then. Recently replaced mine, and the noise absolutely correlated to changes in steering, as you’d expect.

Sounds like your level is fine. No harm in topping it off a tad or changing it if it hasn’t been done for a while
So what would you think is the problem? I took it to a shop and the missed the issue twice thinking it was the pulleys. Both changed and i still hear the sound. Theyre saying its the pump but it just doesnt seem like it is. Or maybe just a bad bearing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #12
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
So what would you think is the problem? I took it to a shop and the missed the issue twice thinking it was the pulleys. Both changed and i still hear the sound. Theyre saying its the pump but it just doesnt seem like it is. Or maybe just a bad bearing.
I would be very surprised to learn you have a bad PS pump if the noise doesn't correlate to changes in steering, particularly at a standstill. For example, if you're in park and you turn your wheel lock to lock, fluid pressure rises and any noise present should become louder as a result. If that isn't happening, I'm fairly sure it's not your power steering.

I'd suggest you take a short video with good audio. This will help immeasurably in getting to the source of the problem.

Would you describe the noise as more of a whine or a groan?

Honestly I'd also find another shop. Diagnosing noises can be a bit tricky, but missing it twice seems a bit silly, unless it's really that generic and elusive.

Take a long screwdriver, press it against the part in question, put your ear to the handle end, and see if the noise is coming from that area. If the PS pump sounds okay, move onto the alternator.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #13
trapahh
Rep

Quote:
I would be very surprised to learn you have a bad PS pump if the noise doesn't correlate to changes in steering, particularly at a standstill. For example, if you're in park and you turn your wheel lock to lock, fluid pressure rises and any noise present should become louder as a result. If that isn't happening, I'm fairly sure it's not your power steering.

I'd suggest you take a short video with good audio. This will help immeasurably in getting to the source of the problem.

Would you describe the noise as more of a whine or a groan?

Honestly I'd also find another shop. Diagnosing noises can be a bit tricky, but missing it twice seems a bit silly, unless it's really that generic and elusive.

Take a long screwdriver, press it against the part in question, put your ear to the handle end, and see if the noise is coming from that area. If the PS pump sounds okay, move onto the alternator.
Ok so i turned the wheel all the way to both sides and the sound increases just a little bit. It didn’t really sound abnormal. I did it again When i got home and turn it all the way i didnt really hear much but when i apply a bit of pressure to the wheel when turning (when it cant go anymore) i do hear a noise. I didnt turn too hard because i didnt wanna damage anything. In general, the sound that ive been hearing is like a low whine whistle type of noise. I can now hear it when idling sometimes and sometimes i cant. I mostly hear it when in low RPM. I get that it MAY be the Power steering pump, but i just dont get how that would work in all when giving it a little gas. I asked my buddy if he’d hear anything and he said no at first but its one of those things if someone pointed it out to you then youll hear it and its driving me insane.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #14
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep

Quote:
Ok so i turned the wheel all the way to both sides and the sound increases just a little bit. It didn’t really sound abnormal. I did it again When i got home and turn it all the way i didnt really hear much but when i apply a bit of pressure to the wheel when turning (when it cant go anymore) i do hear a noise. I didnt turn too hard because i didnt wanna damage anything. In general, the sound that ive been hearing is like a low whine whistle type of noise. I can now hear it when idling sometimes and sometimes i cant. I mostly hear it when in low RPM. I get that it MAY be the Power steering pump, but i just dont get how that would work in all when giving it a little gas. I asked my buddy if he’d hear anything and he said no at first but its one of those things if someone pointed it out to you then youll hear it and its driving me insane.
Yeah 99% sure it's not your PS pump. Hearing a noise when you're pushing past full-lock position is totally normal.

Honestly man at this point you need to give us something more to work with, preferably a video or at the very least a sound clip.

If there was something more than just a description of what you're hearing, you'd almost certainly get more people weighing in.

There are a few noises I'm chasing down on my 328 at the moment, so I'm curious to see if yours is similar to what I'm hearing. I'm fairly certain I know what mine are, but I'd like to hear yours first so I can make an informed guess before making any assumptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
trapahh
Rep

Quote:
Yeah 99% sure it's not your PS pump. Hearing a noise when you're pushing past full-lock position is totally normal.

Honestly man at this point you need to give us something more to work with, preferably a video or at the very least a sound clip.

If there was something more than just a description of what you're hearing, you'd almost certainly get more people weighing in.

There are a few noises I'm chasing down on my 328 at the moment, so I'm curious to see if yours is similar to what I'm hearing. I'm fairly certain I know what mine are, but I'd like to hear yours first so I can make an informed guess before making any assumptions.
https://youtu.be/UvTcOgkHYg8. You should be able to eliminate the outside. You’ll hear when I stop the car and hear the one noise. Lol sorry
Appreciate 0