E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Calling E91 owners... Boot closing issue

08-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Calling E91 owners... Boot closing issue

Hi E91'ers
Was just wondering if your boot (the whole boot lid and not just the glass part) closes with a fairly horrible clattery sound.

It defo seems to sound nowhere near as healthy as the E92 coupe.

Also - because of this 'uncomfortable' closing sound, it tends to be closed gently and then when you get it the car, you see that it is not closed fully even though it looks like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
Ragman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E91 - Gutless, fidgety, BOS

Sounds like a bag of (heavy) spanners when I close mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i think he 535d did aswell
      08-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I'll tell you in 17 days!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi E91'ers
Was just wondering if your boot (the whole boot lid and not just the glass part) closes with a fairly horrible clattery sound.
My 'vert E93 doors sound the same if I have the windows wound down - not impressive for a 'quality' car!

sounds like an old fiesta lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #6
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Mine doesn't make a noise - certainly not a bag of spanners noise.

The right hand gas strut does squeal/squeak really loudly when it's been left open for a long time (and I mean like an hour or so), especially when it's been hot...
      08-15-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
My 'vert E93 doors sound the same if I have the windows wound down - not impressive for a 'quality' car!

sounds like an old fiesta lol!
Get that sorted my vert doors close with a nice BMW thunk, very solid
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
Get that sorted my vert doors close with a nice BMW thunk, very solid
even with the windows wound down? they sound fine when up! I am beginning to think I have the Friday 5pm car anyway! Been in the dealer today (scheduled visit this time, olol) to have the wing re-aligned. Now fits perfectly but should have come from the factory this way!!

Soz for taking this topic 'off topic' guys!!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Yes my boot sounds like a bucket of bolts when I close it, and sometimes bounces back so it isn't closed properly. A bit disappointing for a supposed quality car.

The window bit closes with a nice thunk though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
even with the windows wound down? they sound fine when up! I am beginning to think I have the Friday 5pm car anyway! Been in the dealer today (scheduled visit this time, olol) to have the wing re-aligned. Now fits perfectly but should have come from the factory this way!!

Soz for taking this topic 'off topic' guys!!
Even with windows down very solid and one thing I looked for compared to my Z4 ! In what way was your wing mis-aligned?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #11
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the answers guys.
At least I know that it is supposed to sound like this and dont need to go hassle the dealer - just perhaps BMW quality control -
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 06:36 AM   #12
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
Yes my boot sounds like a bucket of bolts when I close it, and sometimes bounces back so it isn't closed properly. A bit disappointing for a supposed quality car.

The window bit closes with a nice thunk though.
Mine is a bit clattery too.... Although I generally only use the Window, unless I have to get the push chair and all the other toddler stuff out
      08-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #13
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbm View Post
Even with windows down very solid and one thing I looked for compared to my Z4 ! In what way was your wing mis-aligned?
The N/S fron wing never fitted properly - the swage line dropped when it met the wing - the top part of the wing by the windscreen pillat stuck out and the worst part was where it met the bumper - there was quite a step and the wheelarch line did not match up.

Annoying when the car sat at the dealer for over 4 weeks awaiting the steering rack, and again for over a week when the high pressure fuel pump failed - they just dont seem to listen to the customer - well my dealer doesn't anyhow! Apparently the service manager looked at my car and said the fitting was acceptable! I will try and attach a pic - see what u reckon!!......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
What the F*&K!!!! That is a disgusting way to leave a car!! :mad:

The service manager needs taken out and shot.

I cannot believe any car built today could leave the factory in such a poor condition. I am sure early Czech built Skoda's from the 70's were better lined up than that.

Unbelievable

Are you sure thats not an early Belfast-built DeLorian you have there with a respray and BMW badge???
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Now you can see why I was slightly pee'd off - I reported it to my dealer when the car was only a few days old - they wanted to charge me £10 to insure a loaner whilst mine was being 'investigated'

I refused and told em to stick it and I would get it sorted elsewhere (my neighbour works for a different dealer and he was gonna take it in and get it sorted for me) - in the mean time the power steering failed and the rest is history lol

They obviously had not even bothered looking at it - the service manager's response was given to BMW UK (by this time I had been 'escalated' many times & was speaking to the customer service director! ) - they promised me it would not leave the dealer again without being rectified - it went in again for the fuel pump and yet again the wing remained like this!

:mad: Customer service at its worst :mad:
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
The N/S fron wing never fitted properly - the swage line dropped when it met the wing - the top part of the wing by the windscreen pillat stuck out and the worst part was where it met the bumper - there was quite a step and the wheelarch line did not match up.

Annoying when the car sat at the dealer for over 4 weeks awaiting the steering rack, and again for over a week when the high pressure fuel pump failed - they just dont seem to listen to the customer - well my dealer doesn't anyhow! Apparently the service manager looked at my car and said the fitting was acceptable! I will try and attach a pic - see what u reckon!!......
Truly shocking :mad: How he can say that is acceptable. Who inspected it - David Blunkett ? I would have given him a gift certificate to Spec-Savers
      08-16-2007, 10:16 AM   #17
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I know we have gone off topic but this is totaly unacceptable,that wing is way off and I am shocked to see it. I picked my convertable up, Feb build end of March delivery and it was spot on every panel blends into the other and I am very particular where my car is involved. As for the doors they are very solid even with windows down the effort to close is so easy just pull or slight push door closes first time, even with someone not used to it and closes it a bit heavy no rattles
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 11:37 AM   #18
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DervFan View Post
Truly shocking :mad: How he can say that is acceptable. Who inspected it - David Blunkett ? I would have given him a gift certificate to Spec-Savers
Agreed. I can't imagine Lexus or Audi would accept panel fit like that, so why should it be good enough for a BMW?! They need to sort it out.:mad:

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

That's awful mate - the horrible Ford Ka my wife has a loaner at the moment has better panel fit.

BTW never buy a Ford Ka or even accept one as a loaner. Way too small, no leccy windows, no aircon, no central locking, no CD player, no parcel shelf, not even a boot handle. The 1982 Fiat 127 I had as my first car was better equipped.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 05:49 AM   #20
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

You didn't have to list out everything that was wrong with it, you could've just stopped at "FORD", we would've got the idea...
      08-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #21
RobK
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cdsport View Post
Hi E91'ers
Yes! It sounds like something is going to break every time I close it. The passenger doors don't exactly close with a nice thunk either, more of a bang.

Quote:
Also - because of this 'uncomfortable' closing sound, it tends to be closed gently and then when you get it the car, you see that it is not closed fully even though it looks like it.
Again yes. Also, not quite the same thing but I wish the luggage cover that springs up when you open the tailgate would go back down when you close it. I never notice it until I've set off and look in the rear view mirror. I then stop, get out and try to open the boot, then discover that the doors have all locked themselves. :mad:
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Although it's cool everytime it pops up, I'd totally agree with that.

I do like the pop-up cover, but also wish they had not made a luggage cover that you have to push down to fully retract - makes it difficult to fully retract when the boot's full.

The other e91 specific thing that bugs me is the rear wiper - it is set at one constant speed, too slow when the front wipers are on full, and too fast when the fronts are on the slowest intermittant setting. You'd think they'd have thought of linking the speed to the front wipers...

O, and the dog gard thing, it's a good idea, but it makes the detachable luggage cover thing too big AND the metal "rods" that stick out when it's not in place look untidy - they could've made them clip in somehow so they stayed down.

Apart from that (and a couple of more e9X generic things) it's a great car!