E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission Issue

09-22-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
smiked1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 xdrive35i

Transmission Issue

Hi,

i'm posting here for the first time. I actually have a 2015 X1 xDrive35i, but haven't been able to find any useful information on the issue in other forums. This car seems to have more in common with e90's than other models. It has an N55 with GA6HP19Z transmission.

Never have had any issues with the car. Transmission has always shifted perfectly. A few days ago my wife pulled out of the driveway. The dash llt up like a christmas tree, shifting was very strange. So she turned around and drove home.

Since she parked the car it will not shift out of park. I use my icarsoft scanner and it cannot communicate with the TCM or CAS. It will shift into gear and drive if I manually override the shift lock. It shifts pretty clunkily into gear, and seems to drive in limp mode. I have only moved the car in and out of the driveway like this. I haven't attempted to drive for fear of damaging the transmission driving without a working TCM.

I have the following codes:

DME:

3BDD
3BE1
3BD8
CD8F

Transfer case:

CF80

Any clues as to what may be happening here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
smiked1
Registered
Rep

I know nobody has responded to his yet, but new things are happening. Maybe someone can give some feedback.

Now, if I sit long enough with foot on brake. I will start to hear the shift lockout start clicking, and the transmission will wake up long enough for me to connect. I get zero codes and I'm able to clear all the codes in the DME. If I attempt to shift it into gear. It seems to stunt hunting for gears and will shut down again. Even if I don't attempt to shift, it will eventually shut down again, I loose the P on the cluster and get the gear error.

I don't know if this is a bus issue, loose wires, bad ground? I have connected the engine to ground with a jumper cable. This did not make a difference. It will still throw the codes without engine started, so I do not think it's an overvoltage issue.

Thanks.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #3
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiked1 View Post
I know nobody has responded to his yet, but new things are happening. Maybe someone can give some feedback.

Now, if I sit long enough with foot on brake. I will start to hear the shift lockout start clicking, and the transmission will wake up long enough for me to connect. I get zero codes and I'm able to clear all the codes in the DME. If I attempt to shift it into gear. It seems to stunt hunting for gears and will shut down again. Even if I don't attempt to shift, it will eventually shut down again, I loose the P on the cluster and get the gear error.

I don't know if this is a bus issue, loose wires, bad ground? I have connected the engine to ground with a jumper cable. This did not make a difference. It will still throw the codes without engine started, so I do not think it's an overvoltage issue.

Thanks.

Mike
Are you running a tune on the car like XHP? Those are codes for a lost signal to the TCM. If you're not running a tune I'd get the latest DME software flashed to your car.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
SlowE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 335i, E60 2008 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiked1 View Post

Thanks.

Mike
I remember a similar issue being resolved by changing the mechatronic sleeve on the transmission
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 01:59 PM   #5
smiked1
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoB96 View Post
I remember a similar issue being resolved by changing the mechatronic sleeve on the transmission
I am not running xhp. I will get the latest DME flash and check my sleeve.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2023, 12:34 AM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

The Four (4) DME faults you posted are ALL Message errors: NO Message from EGS (Trans Module) received by DME.
If your Scan Tool normally connects to EGS, but NOW cannot, that is usually caused by lack of (1) Power Supply, or
(2) CAN (PT-CAN) fault. Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints related to EGS Connector X8500 that supplies BOTH power
& PT-CAN connection to EGS. I would begin by examining that connector, assuring Power/Ground, and not obvious
damage to connector, wiring, pins/sockets.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Kai0.00