E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine Ground Strap

12-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricx View Post
News flash, BWM nor getBMWparts.com make grounding straps. They make money off people's ignorance. At the end of the day, its tinted copper with connectors. As long as :guage, size, material, connector, ohms are good and secure your golden. I promise the car don't know the difference in a 10 or 40 dollar ground strap as long as it grounds properly. Only BMW drivers will argue over a freckn ground strap.
News Flash: BMW has specs and parts must meet those specs in order to be stamped with their roundel. You may find an acceptable part but I seriously doubt that it’s on eBay or Amazon. I try to purchase from the usual forum sponsors and fellow members will confirm their experiences with them.
      12-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Oh look who showed up with humble pie on his face.
You were talking out your without the means to
Back it up and got called out on it. You said Tischer
had the oem starter ground strap for 21 bucks
I called bull crap and told you to cough up a link.
I see no link you got nothing, but humble pie on
your face. You were trying to pile it on me and
got caught in a lie. It’s ok people make mistakes
no hard feelings I just in here to help and get help.
I do know what I want, a piece of tinted copper with
connectors, it can labeled battery ground or starter
ground it doesn’t matter.
Nice to come on E90 post with 29 posts and be a dick about it. Mature BMW owners who can afford to maintain their BMWs use realoem.com to determine the part number of the part they are trying to replace, then look on line for the various retailers that sell BMW parts. You've yet to post what exact part number you are trying to buy; it would help if you did. In reality there is no wire, cable, or braided wire that directly connects the starter to the body; the starter has two (2) wires connected to it; one is the red harness that connects from the alternator to the under-hood battery post and to the starter, the second wire is small diameter with a plastic connector and is the wire to the starter solenoid that originates from the engine electrical system junction box, which is attached to a bracket attached to the bottom of the intake manifold.

It's fine if you want to go on eBay and get some generic noise-suppression strap, just don't come on here, where people try to help one another, and be a prick when doing it. porsche959 pretty much sarcastically suggested the part you were considering was not of the proper configuration and go with an OE/OEM part. My comment to porche959's comment was a sarcastic response, while also suggesting you check Tischer, which has the lowest prices on the net for BMW OE parts. I doubt anyone here actually has measured the length of the strap (whichever one you are trying to replace), so you have a guessing game going. What other mature E90 Post members do in this situation is take a $10 chance and by a POS eBay part and find out if it is a good quality and is a suitable alternate to the BMW OE part. But again, you come on and behave like a dick.

The part numbers that Tischer prices at $21.32 are: 12427551714; 12427578869; 12427555222. I'm sure one of those parts is the noise suppression strap from the oil sensor. The other two P/Ns look to be longer straps one of which may be the part you are looking for. I've reviewed the various pics of each of the three P/Ns I show from realoem to a pic I have of my car that shows the longish braided body noise suppression strap that is attached to the block near the left engine mount and grounds on the left frame rail near the fuel lines. Just because I'm now curious, if I get a chance I'll throw my car on the lift and see if I can read the info tag on the strap that grounds to the left frame rail and get the correct P/N.

It's possible the P/N you are looking for is 12427549393, which is the link you posted earlier, which the pictorial of the part (Item 13) is nothing similar to a braided noise suppression ground strap. So again, try to figure out what part you need and then if you don't want to get a genuine BMW replacement (regardless of the price), get what you think will fit and let us know if it works. That'd be helpful.

And BTW it's "tinned" copper, not "tinted"...
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-07-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 2
tcphoto3511.50
      12-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #25
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

A "block user" option would be handy about this time. Perhaps the moderators could look into it.
      12-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #26
ricx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Nice to come on E90 post with 29 posts and be a dick about it. Mature BMW owners who can afford to maintain their BMWs use realoem.com to determine the part number of the part they are trying to replace, then look on line for the various retailers that sell BMW parts. You've yet to post what exact part number you are trying to buy; it would help if you did. In reality there is no wire, cable, or braided wire that directly connects the starter to the body; the starter has two (2) wires connected to it; one is the red harness that connects from the alternator to the under-hood battery post and to the starter, the second wire is small diameter with a plastic connector and is the wire to the starter solenoid that originates from the junction box, which is attached to a bracket attached to the bottom of the intake manifold.

It's fine if you want to go on eBay and get some generic noise-suppression strap, just don't come on here, where people try to help one another and be a prick when doing it. porsche959 pretty much sarcastically suggested that the part you were considering was not of the proper configuration. My comment to porche959's comment was a sarcastic response while also suggesting you check Tischer, which has the lowest prices on the net for BMW OE parts. I doubt anyone here actually has measured the length of the strap (whichever one you are trying to replace), so you have a guessing game going. What other mature E90 Post members do, in this situation is take a $10 chance and by a POS eBay part and find out if it is a good quality and is a suitable alternate to the BMW OE part. But again, you come on and behave like a dick.

The part numbers that Tischer prices at $21.32 are: 12427551714; 12427578869; 12427555222. I'm sure one of those parts is the noise suppression strap from the oil sensor. The other two P/Ns look to be longer straps one of which may be the part you are looking for. I've reviewed the various pics of each of the three P/Ns I show from realoem to a pic I have of my car that shows the longish braided body noise suppression strap that is attached to the block near the left engine mount and grounds on the left frame rail near the fuel lines.

It's possible the P/N you are looking for is 12427549393, which is the link you posted earlier, which the pictorial of the part (Item 13) is nothing similar to a braided noise suppression ground strap. So again, try to figure out what part you need and then if you don't want to get a genuine BMW replacement (regardless of the price), get what you think will fit and let us know if it works. That'd be helpful.

And BTW it's "tinned" copper, not "tinted"...
First, I've been a member since 2009 when I bought the car new, over the past decade I've lost my username and password a couple times, so I had to get a new one. Second, you're totally in left field when you mention noise suppression ground strap. I sent a link of the part I'm interested in. Battery ground and starter ground straps in general can be used interchangeably. But noise suppression ground, that shows me you have no clue, that never entered into my mind that's how off base that is. There is nothing BMW specific about a starter ground strap. It simply gives the current from the starter a path back to the negative post of the battery via a copper braided wire via the metal frame.
As long as a ground strap does what the OEM does, why spend 4x as much for it? If I'm going to piss away money it's going to be on something I enjoy. I have an electrical back ground, so I know a thing or two about wires. To each their own, if you feel good about paying more for a copper wire because it has a BMW part # wonderful, I feel good knowing my copper wire is 4x cheaper and does what the OEM does. Years down the road, due to location, it's going to turn green, create a resistance load causing the starter to work harder, which will degrade it, which will draw more current out of the battery, which will cause the alternator to work harder to replenish battery, which will degrade the alternator etc. etc. The point I'm making is you need to replace the grounding strap before it disintegrates, even though it's grounding, in a deteriorated state it causes problems for other components of the electrical systems. No matter what you pay for it, every X number of years it needs to be replaced. I'm not on here to argue, I have better things to do. I do appreciate you guys for easing on the profanity.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #27
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thirty three posts in ten years, why such the attitude for not contributing much to the forum? If you are quite the electrical expert why not craft your own instead of creating such a disturbance? Everyone is welcome up to the point that they contribute nothing.
      12-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #28
ricx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Thirty three posts in ten years, why such the attitude for not contributing much to the forum? If you are quite the electrical expert why not craft your own instead of creating such a disturbance? Everyone is welcome up to the point that they contribute nothing.
I see reading comprehension nor thinking is your thing. When you lose your username and password, see, you have to get a new one. In doing so, all your old post don't magically appear under your new username. It's like grounding straps, because it has a BMW part# it doesn't magically mean it's better than a ground strap that doesn't have a BMW part#. 9.5X out of 10 I buy OEM parts. Then there are some parts that are generic. A grounding strap is generic. A perceive I've made my point clear, you just want to argue. I have better things to do. Why don't I make my own, I could. But for 10 bucks it's for more economical if I bought one as I can't make one for 10 bucks! I have contributed and I do contribute, and if I didn't who are you to judge me. Nobody put you in charge of nothing. With all do respect, get a life.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #29
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
I see reading comprehension nor thinking is your thing. When you lose your username and password, see, you have to get a new one.
How do you lose usernames and passwords for the same website multiple times
when password managers have existed for over a decade? And there's a forgot password button that will reset your password?

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 12-07-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17139.00
      12-07-2019, 02:27 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
He might get embarrassed when he goes to a Tint shop to get the wire he makes "tinted".
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First, I've been a member since 2009 when I bought the car new, over the past decade I've lost my username and password a couple times, so I had to get a new one. Second, you're totally in left field when you mention noise suppression ground strap. I sent a link of the part I'm interested in. Battery ground and starter ground straps in general can be used interchangeably. But noise suppression ground, that shows me you have no clue, that never entered into my mind that's how off base that is. There is nothing BMW specific about a starter ground strap. It simply gives the current from the starter a path back to the negative post of the battery via a copper braided wire via the metal frame.
As long as a ground strap does what the OEM does, why spend 4x as much for it? If I'm going to piss away money it's going to be on something I enjoy. I have an electrical back ground, so I know a thing or two about wires. To each their own, if you feel good about paying more for a copper wire because it has a BMW part # wonderful, I feel good knowing my copper wire is 4x cheaper and does what the OEM does. Years down the road, due to location, it's going to turn green, create a resistance load causing the starter to work harder, which will degrade it, which will draw more current out of the battery, which will cause the alternator to work harder to replenish battery, which will degrade the alternator etc. etc. The point I'm making is you need to replace the grounding strap before it disintegrates, even though it's grounding, in a deteriorated state it causes problems for other components of the electrical systems. No matter what you pay for it, every X number of years it needs to be replaced. I'm not on here to argue, I have better things to do. I do appreciate you guys for easing on the profanity.
Well there's still some confusion between realoem schematics and what Tischer provides for P/N XXX49393. Granted BMW nomenclature is a bit screwy in some cases so there could be some issue between calling it a cable vs. a strap. So maybe your not sure what part you actually need. If you had gone under the car to validate what part you need since yours must be green and not passing current as well as a new part, why didn't you just measure the length while you were under the car, or better, find the part info tag and get the P/N to be certain? That would have prevented wasting everyone's time.

You seem to believe you are some sort of electrical technical expert and somewhat of Bimmer aficionado, yet you make a noob post asking what length the ground strap is. If I were trying to buy a generic ground strap, I would have just pulled the part out, measured it, taken it to a local parts store and matched it up to something similar. Or once the I measured the strap length and measured hole size of the lugs, I'd have then done an internet search for a similar part.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #32
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well there's still some confusion between realoem schematics and what Tischer provides for P/N XXX49393. Granted BMW nomenclature is a bit screwy in some cases so there could be some issue between calling it a cable vs. a strap. So maybe your not sure what part you actually need. If you had gone under the car to validate what part you need since yours must be green and not passing current as well as a new part, why didn't you just measure the length while you were under the car, or better, find the part info tag and get the P/N to be certain? That would have prevented wasting everyone's time.

You seem to believe you are some sort of electrical technical expert and somewhat of Bimmer aficionado, yet you make a noob post asking what length the ground strap is. If I were trying to buy a generic ground strap, I would have just pulled the part out, measured it, taken it to a local parts store and matched it up to something similar. Or once the I measured the strap length and measured hole size of the lugs, I'd have then done an internet search for a similar part.
honestly walmart shitty strap would have worked
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:57 PM   #33
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Honestly tho, those ground straps are prone to corrision and should be designed better. They become brittle and crumble at the slightest touch eventually.

An insulated heavy gauge copper wire with appropriate i ends would likely work and last a lot longer but I'm not an electrician. It is a ground strap after all, not exactly a complex part.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:30 PM   #34
Hybridz0rz
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 Pre LCI 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
That looks like a piece of shit.

I’d rather buy a Walmart battery cable and put that on.
Obviously you havent seen the stock grounding straps.... They dont need to be fancy
      12-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #35
ricx
Private First Class
Rep

The grounding strap came in today. I'm proud to say it's Made in the USA. It's good quality everything is in order. As compared to the OEM, its thinner and the bolt holes are bigger. Both where .3 ohms. The OEM had a green tint(if I use that word) not too bad. Matter of fact the OEM strap wasn't bad at all. After 10 years and 107k miles it was in good condition. After talking to my neighbor, he's sort of a technical expert, he suggested that I reuse it. I sprayed it with battery cleaner and cleaned it up. So I said, well I got a brand new ground strap what do I do with it, he said use it too. So the car is Uber grounded. FYI the starter ground wire and the ground in question don't actually touch. 'It's an engine ground. I mistakenly called it a starter ground. This strap however allows the starter to be grounded. At any rate this ground strap is an alternative.
Attached Images

Last edited by ricx; 12-11-2019 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      12-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #36
ricx
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
How do you lose usernames and passwords for the same website multiple times
when password managers have existed for over a decade? And there's a forgot password button that will reset your password?
never heard of a password manager. sounds like a great target for a hacker. but to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:36 PM   #37
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Quote:
never heard of a password manager. sounds like a great target for a hacker. but to each their own.
Maybe for boomers who don't understand how modern tech works. But I get it, keeping up with the times is hard. Local encryption is just so hard to understand

Hey did you know you can post on here with touchscreen phones?? From a PHONE! WITH NO BUTTONS!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #38
ricx
Private First Class
Rep

I'm not a boomer, but if I were there would be nothing wrong with it. I'm tolerant of others, I chose not to denigrate others based on who they are. To any members of that generation that were offended by his comments, I do apologizes. Some of us do have common courtesy and decency. Were all not jerks.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:48 PM   #39
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep

Hey remember that one time when you were like

Quote:
I'm not on here to argue, I have better things to do
But then you kept doing it because you don't have anything better to do

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 12-07-2019 at 11:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #40
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
The grounding strap came in today. I'm proud to say it's Made in the USA. It's good quality everything is in order. As compared to the OEM, its thinner and the bolt holes are bigger. Both where .3 ohms. The OEM had a green tint(if I use that word) not too bad. Matter of fact the OEM strap wasn't bad at all. After 10 years and 107k miles it was in good condition. After talking to my neighbor, he's sort of a technical expert, he suggested that I reuse it. I sprayed it with battery cleaner and cleaned it up. So I said, well I got a brand new ground strap what do I do with it, he said use it too. So the car is Uber grounded. FYI the starter ground wire and the ground in question don't actually touch. 'It's an engine ground. I mistakenly called it a starter ground. This strap however allows the starter to be grounded. At any rate this ground strap is an alternative.

Thanks for the update. Great to know that if needed there are alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #41
ricx
Private First Class
Rep

Sure thing Wolf, I attached a pic that shows both. I assume the mod has to approve it before it shows. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #42
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
you realize that the noise suppression comes from being the appropriate width/length and that's why OEMs use flat braided ground straps and not just round copper cables?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #43
Boosted12a
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i x

Get some 4ga wire and connectors from a stero shop. Make you own.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 03:58 PM   #44
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

This thread is fucked but the length is 12" roughly. Might be some slop leftover but who gives a crap.

I have this installed on my car

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

\end of thread honestly...
Appreciate 0