E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Tempted by an e91

01-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #67
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche959 View Post
Unless u are transporting a fridge, any large sedan will have similar overall trunk volume. Hence e55. But if you are really determined to get a clownshoe, e61 does everything better and also looks better imo. And before you say “handling dynamics” lol cmon we’re talking wagons here.

Also, I am not old, I am 18 and yes I’ve sat in multiple 959s. My dad only owns one 959 (which has been in the family since the 90s) but it never gets driven because the market is crazy right now. 944s are cool too but the S2 and turbos are overpriced Volkswagens.
LOL, no wonder you think a clapped out, 15 year old boosted V8 is analogous to a 3 series wagon. You're a fucking child. You even think the E61 looks good. I get why youre big on really old, expensive to maintain vehicles now, I was when I was in high school too because I didn't know any better (my dumbass was rocking a damned old 7 and building a racecar, what I wouldnt give to have that money back). Youre a kid, sit back and learn a bit.

As for dynamics, no. Honestly all BMWs for quite some time have been pigs. That is why Im rocking an N52k, auto, non-sport E91 on 16s, I got it CPO 3 years old and it was literally the cleanest example I could find within 300 miles. Being said I got into superbikes a while back and it takes about $400k for a car to begin to touch their effectiveness as adrenaline pumps, so I think almost all cars are appliances.

Congrats on riding on your dads accomplishments (which are likely as real as your claim that we should be tripping over 2011 E55s for $11k).
Appreciate 1
tlow982188.00
      01-09-2020, 11:27 AM   #68
slowcar
Banned
Rep
Drives: slow car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
"better" is subjective.

when you start replacing air ride components and rear electronics and it has water leaks everywhere you'll start to see how much "better" an e61 is.

again, personal experience.

I'd take my e91 any day over an e61, unless I was buying an n54 powered one because I wanted to spend money and go fast.
Take $ savings from over hyped e91 market prices and spend it on coils/Bilsein shocks and sorting out electronics. pretty sure e91 boot has rust issues as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #69
slowcar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
LOL, no wonder you think a clapped out, 15 year old boosted V8 is analogous to a 3 series wagon. You're a fucking child. You even think the E61 looks good. I get why youre big on really old, expensive to maintain vehicles now, I was when I was in high school too because I didn't know any better (my dumbass was rocking a damned old 7 and building a racecar, what I wouldnt give to have that money back). Youre a kid, sit back and learn a bit.

As for dynamics, no. Honestly all BMWs for quite some time have been pigs. That is why Im rocking an N52k, auto, non-sport E91 on 16s, I got it CPO 3 years old and it was literally the cleanest example I could find within 300 miles. Being said I got into superbikes a while back and it takes about $400k for a car to begin to touch their effectiveness as adrenaline pumps, so I think almost all cars are appliances.

Congrats on riding on your dads accomplishments (which are likely as real as your claim that we should be tripping over 2011 E55s for $11k).
you know we are talking about the e90 here right? a 10 year old platform?

why are all e55s "clapped out" (had to google that) and e91s...not clapped out?

sit back and learn what exactly? preference for vehicles that need to carry 150 lbs dogs?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #70
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcar View Post
Take $ savings from over hyped e91 market prices and spend it on coils/Bilsein shocks and sorting out electronics. pretty sure e91 boot has rust issues as well.
rust issues are not "leaks water into it's cargo area and kills everything"

and my e91 boot lid is still rust free.

and again, I paid less than 10K for my e91, with 100K miles on it, two years ago, when it was 9 years old. I then immediately drove it across country and put 30K miles on it in the first year I owned it. Hardly a clapped out unreliable pile of shit.

it's a sport package car with paddles and allllllll of the options because it was a BMW NA car for the first year of it's life.

I don't know what they did with it, but it's delivery dealer in ISTA is 001, and it was registered to BMW NA for the first year of it's life in NJ.

so you can indeed find a well optioned e91 for the same money as a e55 sedan with more miles.

every single time you say "wel you have to find the right deal"
and yet you can't see the same for an e91.

they exist.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #71
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
you know we are talking about the e90 here right? a 10 year old platform?

why are all e55s "clapped out" - had to google that and e91s...not clapped out?
Listen, I know youre another likely child so I will be slow about it....

Lets stick to one main point, it all revolves (that means goes in a circle) around that: $11,000.

At $11k that small, inline 6, 2011 wagon is, as you two idiots put it "overpriced." If OP is willing to spend that and it is "overpriced" then he has market power. He can take his $11k and do what is, in effect, an auction. But instead of price he evaluates the supply. So for $11k he can sit back and choose WHICH E91 he wants. The pick of the litter, the cream of the crop. Although we have established that its not quite the case since it seems $10-11k is about the going rate for really clean examples.

Its something you'll likely learn in both of your first economics classes if you end up going to college: The market dictates the price. Something is "worth" what people will pay for it.

Now, take that same $11k and try and buy an E55. A car that is undeniably "cooler" and was considerably more expensive to begin with. $11k aint shit for those (which was all of our original arguments). So your buddy had to find an auction for a car that is almost double the age, with 50% more miles, with a sketchy title (likely salvage that was "washed" of its history by moving through a state like Oklahoma).

He thinks its a good deal, which also tells you the type of person who owns that kind of car. Some dumb ass 18 year old who wont be able to properly maintain it. Aka, CLAPPED THE FUCK OUT.

Not all E55s are clapped out, but all $11k ones are. Just like how all $3000 E90s are.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:43 AM   #72
slowcar
Banned
Rep

Quote:

and again, I paid less than 10K for my e91, with 100K miles on it, two years ago, when it was 9 years old. I then immediately drove it across country and put 30K miles on it in the first year I owned it. Hardly a clapped out unreliable pile of shit.

it's a sport package car with paddles and allllllll of the options because it was a BMW NA car for the first year of it's life.

I don't know what they did with it, but it's delivery dealer in ISTA is 001, and it was registered to BMW NA for the first year of it's life in NJ.

so you can indeed find a well optioned e91 for the same money as a e55 sedan with more miles.

every single time you say "wel you have to find the right deal"
and yet you can't see the same for an e91.

they exist.
right deal for OPs car would be $7k
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #73
slowcar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Listen, I know youre another likely child so I will be slow about it....

Lets stick to one main point, it all revolves (that means goes in a circle) around that: $11,000.

At $11k that small, inline 6, 2011 wagon is, as you two idiots put it "overpriced." If OP is willing to spend that and it is "overpriced" then he has market power. He can take his $11k and do what is, in effect, an auction. But instead of price he evaluates the supply. So for $11k he can sit back and choose WHICH E91 he wants. The pick of the litter, the cream of the crop. Although we have established that its not quite the case since it seems $10-11k is about the going rate for really clean examples.

Its something you'll likely learn in both of your first economics classes if you end up going to college: The market dictates the price. Something is "worth" what people will pay for it.

Now, take that same $11k and try and buy an E55. A car that is undeniably "cooler" and was considerably more expensive to begin with. $11k aint shit for those (which was all of our original arguments). So your buddy had to find an auction for a car that is almost double the age, with 50% more miles, with a sketchy title (likely salvage that was "washed" of its history by moving through a state like Oklahoma).

He thinks its a good deal, which also tells you the type of person who owns that kind of car. Some dumb ass 18 year old who wont be able to properly maintain it. Aka, CLAPPED THE FUCK OUT.

Not all E55s are clapped out, but all $11k ones are. Just like how all $3000 E90s are.
i dont think you know the actual market price of e55s, only asking price
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #74
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:

So is mine, as are my door sills, hood sills, wheel wells, in the battery tray, behind the radio, etc. That's at 131k. Being said its in Atlanta and is almost never stored outside (including work and girlfriends house).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #75
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
i dont think you know the actual market price of e55s, only asking price
Then Ill go back to my first response to your buddy: Prove it.

Show me clean 2011 E55s with mileage in the 70s sold for $11k. Im even willing to ignore the maintenance costs that would come with that car.

So far we have gotten from you two kids is "I met her at camp, she is from Canada."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #76
slowcar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Then Ill go back to my first response to your buddy: Prove it.

Show me clean 2011 E55s with mileage in the 70s sold for $11k. Im even willing to ignore the maintenance costs that would come with that car.

So far we have gotten from you two kids is "I met her at camp, she is from Canada."
e55 with less than 100k miles. not 70k. U high man? e55s were the 4th fastest car in the world when it came out. get the fuck outa here 70k mile e55 for 11k.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:58 AM   #77
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
^^ wagon life is misunderstood by most people.

Most people see wagon like hearse. But what they don't know, those are 10x better than they base grey hyundai tucson with a ''sport'' sticker on it.
Dont want to make frenemies but I dont get wagon life either, or van life, or anything life. I think my E91 is boring. Ive come across nicer wheels, sport front clips, etc for it and always passed on them. Spend $1600 redoing the entire suspension with bone stock components, the only "mods" were crystalline tint to keep it cooler in the summer and the bluetooth module.

I think of it more like one of those Gerber multi-tools, but the minimalist ones not the douchebag ones you have to wear on your belt. Its simple and is useful in 90% of the situations you normally encounter. I can fit 4 big ass roller bags in it when picking people up from the airport, I can take surfboards, friends and their gear to the coast, I can carry my paddock and tow my motorcycle to the track, and I can go camping with 4 friends.

But its also in great shape so once I get back I get it detailed and I can carry doctors to lunch or my girlfriend to dinner in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #78
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
e55 with less than 100k miles. not 70k. U high man? e55s were the 4th fastest car in the world when it came out. get the fuck outa here 70k mile e55 for 11k.
So you're saying you CANT get a clean 2011 E55 with 70k miles for $11,000? Aka the thing we have ALL been saying from the beginning?

Are you ESL by chance?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #79
slowcar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying you CANT get a clean 2011 E55 with 70k miles for $11,000? Aka the thing we have ALL been saying from the beginning?

Are you ESL by chance?
No one said that. You said that and ran with it. We were talking about 100k mile e55s.

and wtf is a 2011 e55.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #80
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Dont want to make frenemies but I dont get wagon life either, or van life, or anything life. I think my E91 is boring. Ive come across nicer wheels, sport front clips, etc for it and always passed on them. Spend $1600 redoing the entire suspension with bone stock components, the only "mods" were crystalline tint to keep it cooler in the summer and the bluetooth module.

I think of it more like one of those Gerber multi-tools, but the minimalist ones not the douchebag ones you have to wear on your belt. Its simple and is useful in 90% of the situations you normally encounter. I can fit 4 big ass roller bags in it when picking people up from the airport, I can take surfboards, friends and their gear to the coast, I can carry my paddock and tow my motorcycle to the track, and I can go camping with 4 friends.

But its also in great shape so once I get back I get it detailed and I can carry doctors to lunch or my girlfriend to dinner in it.

like I said, most people dont get it.

its simple. You don't need to consume ton of metal, big engine and weight to get your 2 kids in a x5 . Its heavier, boring to drive , lower mpg and more expensive.
So you think all the SUV you see on the street people are using it at full potential? think again.... Like the rich blonde alone in a GTS bi-turbo V8 that never hit 3500rpm+

European get it. If you dont tow a 32' boat, a wagon is a car, but with SUV practicality.

I'm a manual guy, do house flips, and all my car/house maintenance. 2 kids. Wagon is a need. I never drove automatic , and I will never do, unless I'm disable.

No SUV in the price range of my A4 is faster and got the fun factor on the track.

If my E91 was the dd, be sure she get a N54 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 12:44 PM   #81
neilvan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Canada did get a N52 (530) e61 in the pre-N54 years. Of course low volume high mileage examples only exist because Canada. Also all our wagons are AWD, non-sport and 99% are auto, thanks people who buy those things.

Personally I'm not a wagon person but would prefer one if given the option for a similar price. Unfortunately I wont find a similar trimmed car to the one I own now without a ton of mods.

Theres also those R class mercs with 5L engines (more suv/minivan than wagon IMO) if that floats your boat, but I'm sure they're cheap nowadays.
Canada got 36 N52 manual E61 wagons and 38 N54 manual wagons(u.s got 10x more roughly). All were x-drive and we did have sport and M-sport versions too.

They only weight a bit more than the E90(~70lbs) but are a bigger vehicle (good or bad depending on your preference)

20191130_112818
Appreciate 2
slupie101.00
CSBM52721.00
      01-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #82
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Totally confused as to why people who have never owned an e91 are chiming in here...it's just not constructive.

All I can see is e91 owners saying how happy they are with their cars (way more space in the back than a sedan, but all of the other good points of the e90 at the same time). It's just a practical car that's really nice to drive. It's not a supercar, or a race car. But if you need a small(ish) car that's nice to drive and still fit a good amount of people and/or stuff in the back, the e91 is hard to beat. Yes, that's a niche, but it's exactly what I needed. Some people would (and do!) pay good $ for a car that exactly meets their needs, and end up with no regrets!

So, for the benefit of constructive discussion, what do the current (or past) e91 owners most dislike about their cars? For me right now, it's the wiring at the tailgate hinge, and a few annoying trim squeaks that I need to spend a little time silencing.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:31 PM   #83
Thorin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 6MT ZSP

I love my e91; it's a great do-it-all car.

I can haul all sorts of stuff for family trips, it has an amazing greenhouse with excellent views.

Last summer I strapped three bikes to the roof, put the bike wagon in the boot, and hauled them and my family for a nice ride through a local park. Still had room to spare.

Prior to that my son and I brought home an (artificial) 9' pre-lit Christmas tree. Managed to fit it all inside, with him in the car seat surrounded by a sea of fake forest green.

It is also a tight enough car on the backroads that it can hang with cars it has no real business it should be doing, but does (provided you are willing to put in a little extra to make it that way).

I've done the performance sedan, the "warm" hatch, the luxury compact, the big SUV. The e91 combines all of these (minus the power of the perf.sedan). It is unpretentious, yet stylish. It is utilitarian, yet can carve a mean corner. It is modern, but with still-accessible technology. It really merges practicality and fun at a reasonable price point.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #84
sleepydinosaur
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Totally confused as to why people who have never owned an e91 are chiming in here...it's just not constructive.
+1
It's like the general public complaining how sports cars have tiny or no back seats, but at a different end of the spectrum.
      01-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #85
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
So, for the benefit of constructive discussion, what do the current (or past) e91 owners most dislike about their cars? For me right now, it's the wiring at the tailgate hinge, and a few annoying trim squeaks that I need to spend a little time silencing.
There are only 4 things that I can complain about my car that wouldn't also impact the regular sedan (not sure about the last one, might still impact sedans):

1. a little extra wind noise from the combo of the MASSIVE sunroof and roof rails (but the trade off is I have a MASSIVE sunroof and roof rails
2. Extra rattles from the rear seat assembly since it doesn't have a bulkhead to support it.
3. Hearing stuff in the trunk. Since there isn't anything blocking you from the trunk anything rattling/squeaking/crinkling in the trunk will sound the same as if it was in the back seat
4. the rear seat-belt receiver dents the seat when you fold it down. I fold a towel and put it over in the hopes its less likely to damage the seat

Any other little complaints are still going to stand for any E9# car.

On another note, they are a bit pricey but I cannot recommend this rack system enough:
http://www.whispbar.com/

Its yakima and the line is discontinued for some reason (probably was too expensive) but its the easiest on/off bike rack Ive ever seen. Its literally 30 seconds to lock in or remove a bike rack, and its all a single-key system. If you find one discounted or used snatch it up.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #86
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

#4 bugs me too... I'm sure that's just an e9x with folding rear seats problem though. There's no visible damage to my rear seats from it though!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #87
Schmitz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
#4 bugs me too... I'm sure that's just an e9x with folding rear seats problem though. There's no visible damage to my rear seats from it though!
I don't think so. My e90 has folding seats and they don't make a peep.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #88
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Yeah its been fine for a decade I guess, it just feels like its putting pressure and that is where the leather could be damaged. Annoying because even my old ass E30 had recessed pockets for them, its like BMW forgot briefly how to do it.

Since I brought up racks and a few others have them, anyone tried this on their E90?
https://www.yakima.com/slimshady#rvwdtl1535

I usually take one or two 10x10 pop-ups to the track depending on the weather (one for us, one for the bike) but if this was any good I could use this for shading the cooler, table and chairs and just use one pop-up for the bike, saving space in the car. And when the weather is cool/dry I could probably get away with this and leave the bike out for those last minute track days where Im not in a caravan of friends.
Appreciate 0