E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Review: Supercharger for N52 *updated with custom map

05-18-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 130i M/T

Review: Supercharger for N52 *updated with custom map

As the title suggested, I have installed the ESS supercharge Gen2 on my 130i (N52B30, 265hp, 6 speed manual) a week ago. Since N52 S/C review seems very rare in the forum, I would like to share my experience simply for the benefit of others. After all, I have done a lot of online research prior my purchase and nothing solid ever come up to aid my decision; It really is a leap of faith for me to have such an expensive upgrade.

Since I am not that good in English, I will keep the post simple, informative and in point form. I will try to answer questions if I have the time to or if I have any knowledge of it. Do bear in mind I am not a mechanic or tuner, I just an enthusiast and love driving the little bimmer.

Before writing more about the S/C, I must explain why I purchase a supercharger for an N52 instead of going 135i N54/55… everyone ask this question right?
Well, my 130i was bought almost 8 years ago, back then the N52 with 265ps was considered quite fast, not anymore I must say. In my country a 2nd hand 130i only worth about USD 9,000 tops while a good 2nd hand 135i in manual trim is asking at USD 23,000, so trading in make no sense. I also love the hatchback and absolutely NEED the 4drs, I use the car for practically everything.
Some might ask: Why not 335i? or F20 M135i? For me E90 3-series is already too big, F20 M135i I don’t like the electric steering, the feel of turbo and expensive to fit an aftermarket LSD. So that’s that.

So now to the actual review;

1. The hardware purchase, installation and arrangement
This turn out to be pretty simple, the parts are well made and fits perfectly with no trimming or custom fabrication required. Everything just fit straight in according to the installation manual. I do have concern over the new location of the air filter, due to the lack of available space perhaps the K&N filter is relocated at fog light level, this is too exposed and the last thing I wanted is to have water splash into the filter. A K&N filter wrap is purchased for this issue.
https://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=1235

2. Software installation
Again the installation is pretty simple, just follow the flash instruction manual. No explanation required. It runs on Alpha-N map meaning MAF is signal is cut. MAF tune is not stable according to ESS themselves so I don’t even want to try.

3. Starting the car
The car starts with no trouble and the idling is remarkably stable! This may sound redundant but having a stable idling is very important for a daily driven car! Check out the video below;

Everything seems fine until I notice I can no longer apply throttle while braking! This might be fine for an Automatic but on a manual transmission car this is a deal breaker. This mean I can no longer blip the throttle in braking zone or heal-n-toe, which renders my car almost useless in a sense. Numerous attempts were made to solve the problem via software but to no avail. My garage ended up cutting the brake signal to the ECU which solves the problem temporarily. I won’t share more here as my garage truly spent a lot of effort on this and should be credited. What I will say is that for individual facing similar issue, go look at the circuit diagram and trace the brake signal to the ECU.

4. The test drive
The car drives like N/A on anything below 4000rpm, it felt very stable at all times so no problem on daily drives. You can feel there is a small drag to the engine, I guess this is what the S/C does with its pulley constantly engaged to the crank.

Above 4000rpm to 7000rpm there are noticeable extra pull compared to stock N/A. Quite how much is there would be very difficult to quantify, I’d say an extra 40hp or so. It’s not a day and night difference but power is definitely there, just not as much as I expected. I will not consider a smaller pulley to increase hp at the moment, it’s fine as it is right now.

People might probably want to see a dyno sheet by now but in all honestly…. I do not care about the hp number so it not available atm. I will still do a dyno in a month’s time just to check the AFR and whether the tune is stable for my daily “abuse”, so a number might pop up for your reference by then.

For the interest of science, I took the car to one of my favorite mountain pass and did a spin. Over a stretch of relative steep uphill (with 14 corner in total) I marked a 1.5s “improvement” in a 45s section (at 30 degree celcius just for the record). I have no doubt there will be more improvement in straight line and in cooler environment, which I shall see later next week when I have time to truly test it out.
(I could post a video of it just to give a better perspective but I am not sure if it violates forum rules. it's a public road but I was aware of the traffic and well within my limits... oh well.)

Last edited by Kubricks; 06-13-2017 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 6
      05-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Great review, thanks for taking the time to put this together. The throttle + braking strange bug would be a game breaker for me. I'd be curious to know what possible issues could come of cutting the braking signal to the ECU. Would that kill stability control?

Also your English is better than 50% of the forum members here!

Last edited by Volasko; 05-19-2017 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 4
      05-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #3
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Awesome review!
As noted above, your english was no barrier. Very concise.
Thank you for taking the time to write this up..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

The throttle+brake issue is because of how the alpha-N tune was done. Basically, they have it running in a sort of limp mode (just clip the MAF wires, delete the error codes, and make some minor fuel adjustments). It runs OK but it comes with these side effects. However, there is another way to do it that doesn't result in that issue. I'd love to help you with a fix, but I don't have a viable way to flash your car remotely at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2017, 02:11 PM   #5
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

OP thanks for the review. As others have said, your English is great! Certainly much better than many native English speakers I've met!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
InControl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 328i coupe

Great review! Are you going to keep the s/c? Sounds like you are disapointed about the kit overall.
Appreciate 1
aphael91.00
      05-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Do you have a boost gauge on it?
I am sure that the boost curve is very linear. What is the boost at different rpm?
I mean, on a WOT pull, is it like 2000rpm-0boost, 2500rpm-1psi, 3000rpm-2psi, ...
What is the maximum boost at maximum rpm, ?6500rpm?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #8
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post
As the title suggested, I have installed the ESS supercharge Gen2 on my 130i (N52B30, 265hp, 6 speed manual) a week ago. Since N52 S/C review seems very rare in the forum, I would like to share my experience simply for the benefit of others. After all, I have done a lot of online research prior my purchase and nothing solid ever come up to aid my decision; It really is a leap of faith for me to have such an expensive upgrade.

Since I am not that good in English, I will keep the post simple, informative and in point form. I will try to answer questions if I have the time to or if I have any knowledge of it. Do bear in mind I am not a mechanic or tuner, I just an enthusiast and love driving the little bimmer.

Before writing more about the S/C, I must explain why I purchase a supercharger for an N52 instead of going 135i N54/55… everyone ask this question right?
Well, my 130i was bought almost 8 years ago, back then the N52 with 265ps was considered quite fast, not anymore I must say. In my country a 2nd hand 130i only worth about USD 9,000 tops while a good 2nd hand 135i in manual trim is asking at USD 23,000, so trading in make no sense. I also love the hatchback and absolutely NEED the 4drs, I use the car for practically everything.
Some might ask: Why not 335i? or F20 M135i? For me E90 3-series is already too big, F20 M135i I don’t like the electric steering, the feel of turbo and expensive to fit an aftermarket LSD. So that’s that.

This turn out to be pretty simple, the parts are well made and fits perfectly with no trimming or custom fabrication required. Everything just fit straight in according to the installation manual. I do have concern over the new location of the air filter, due to the lack of available space perhaps the K&N filter is relocated at fog light level, this is too exposed and the last thing I wanted is to have water splash into the filter. A K&N filter wrap is purchased for this issue.

2. Software installation
Again the installation is pretty simple, just follow the flash instruction manual. No explanation required. It runs on Alpha-N map meaning MAF is signal is cut. MAF tune is not stable according to ESS themselves so I don’t even want to try.

3. Starting the car
The car starts with no trouble and the idling is remarkably stable! This may sound redundant but having a stable idling is very important for a daily driven car! Check out the video below;

Everything seems fine until I notice I can no longer apply throttle while braking! This might be fine for an Automatic but on a manual transmission car this is a deal breaker. This mean I can no longer blip the throttle in braking zone or heal-n-toe, which renders my car almost useless in a sense. Numerous attempts were made to solve the problem via software but to no avail. My garage ended up cutting the brake signal to the ECU which solves the problem temporarily. I won’t share more here as my garage truly spent a lot of effort on this and should be credited. What I will say is that for individual facing similar issue, go look at the circuit diagram and trace the brake signal to the ECU.

4. The test drive
The car drives like N/A on anything below 4000rpm, it felt very stable at all times so no problem on daily drives. You can feel there is a small drag to the engine, I guess this is what the S/C does with its pulley constantly engaged to the crank.

Above 4000rpm to 7000rpm there are noticeable extra pull compared to stock N/A. Quite how much is there would be very difficult to quantify, I’d say an extra 40hp or so. It’s not a day and night difference but power is definitely there, just not as much as I expected. I will not consider a smaller pulley to increase hp at the moment, it’s fine as it is right now.

People might probably want to see a dyno sheet by now but in all honestly…. I do not care about the hp number so it not available atm. I will still do a dyno in a month’s time just to check the AFR and whether the tune is stable for my daily “abuse”, so a number might pop up for your reference by then.

For the interest of science, I took the car to one of my favorite mountain pass and did a spin. Over a stretch of relative steep uphill (with 14 corner in total) I marked a 1.5s “improvement” in a 45s section (at 30 degree celcius just for the record). I have no doubt there will be more improvement in straight line and in cooler environment, which I shall see later next week when I have time to truly test it out.
(I could post a video of it just to give a better perspective but I am not sure if it violates forum rules. it's a public road but I was aware of the traffic and well within my limits... oh well.)

fear not we have people blowing stop signs in school zones in their rare N52 528

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #9
stevenzx
Private
China
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 130i

bro, i had very similar experience with my 130i 6at. i am from qingdao_china and add my instagram(steve.e87) and we talk some more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubricks View Post

2. Software installation

3. Starting the car

4. The test drive

05-19-2017, 03:11 AM   #10
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
he throttle + braking strange bug would be a game breaker for me. I'd be curious to know what possible issues could come of cutting the braking signal to the ECU. Would that kill stability control?
I have no idea. All I know is that if you unplug the MAF sensor to an otherwise standard BMW, it will go into limp mode and cut the throttle + brake function. I guess this shows how Alpha-N mode works; It is essentially a revised map limp mode?
Oh, ABS, traction control and hill start function are still working as intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
The throttle+brake issue is because of how the alpha-N tune was done. Basically, they have it running in a sort of limp mode (just clip the MAF wires, delete the error codes, and make some minor fuel adjustments). It runs OK but it comes with these side effects. However, there is another way to do it that doesn't result in that issue. I'd love to help you with a fix, but I don't have a viable way to flash your car remotely at the moment.
That’s what I have guessed, and I am sure there is a software solution. I solved it by the most primitive way and it works, so I will leave it at that. Thank you for your offer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Great review! Are you going to keep the s/c? Sounds like you are disapointed about the kit overall.
I may not sound very excited about the SC kit but I am satisfied with it overall. it just didn’t exceed my expectation in any way. The car still pulls hard on 5th and 6th which it couldn’t do in stock config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Do you have a boost gauge on it?
I am sure that the boost curve is very linear. What is the boost at different rpm?
I mean, on a WOT pull, is it like 2000rpm-0boost, 2500rpm-1psi, 3000rpm-2psi, ...
What is the maximum boost at maximum rpm, ?6500rpm?
It felt very linear, max boost at 6psi so pretty low. Unfortunately I do not have a boost gauge or a dyno graph; I guess you have to rely on the graph provided on the ESS website.
I might do a dyno later next month to check out the AFR and stuff, will definitely post any findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. View Post
[/B]

fear not we have people blowing stop signs in school zones in their rare N52 528
LOL. The video is just me blasting on an uphill mountain pass, driving within my line but in an aggressive way. Not sure if this is socially acceptable here and I don’t want to derail the thread…. So.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenzx View Post
bro, i had very similar experience with my 130i 6at. i am from qingdao_china and add my instagram(steve.e87) and we talk some more details.
Hey there!
Yeah I will check the Instagram out. I don’t speak Mandarin though so perhaps we can stick with English for discussion.
      05-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Just done the first fill up since I installed the supercharger, turns out to be running 10.24L/ 100km (38.411L for 375km). This is amazing! I thought the S/C will have a big impact on fuel consumption due to having the pulley constantly engaged, but evidently the answer is no.

I am impressed!
(I am providing answer for question nobody ask right? lol)

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
rick100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328

0 to 60 video pls or any type of aCceleration video
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i N52 RWD

excellent review, thanks for putting this together.

you cannot rev match while braking? yikes, that is a big issue! your idle is very smooth though. the last person to SC an N52 had idle issues.

I see you have about 180,000KM. I assume the engine was in good shape before installing the supercharger? how long would you expect the n52 to last if it is superchargered? with the extra friction from the supercharger I would expect a shorter engine lifespan.

so below 4000rpm, the engine feels the same? how is throttle response? I assume power build more strong then before to redline after 4000rpm?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #14
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
[/B]

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated F10 View Post
Quote:
[/B]

They let you out of purgatory huh?

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 1
tetsuo1111227.00
      05-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #16
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Rep

Quote:
They let you out of purgatory huh?
Yes. I am now pure.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #17
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Molestor View Post
Yes. I am now pure.
lucky us..

Appreciate 2
tetsuo1111227.00
whyzee1251678.50
      05-25-2017, 07:36 PM   #18
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Yes. I am now pure.

You should change your name to stop sign runner.

Sorry OP no more OT from me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #19
Kubricks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
excellent review, thanks for putting this together.

you cannot rev match while braking? yikes, that is a big issue! your idle is very smooth though. the last person to SC an N52 had idle issues.

I see you have about 180,000KM. I assume the engine was in good shape before installing the supercharger? how long would you expect the n52 to last if it is superchargered? with the extra friction from the supercharger I would expect a shorter engine lifespan.

so below 4000rpm, the engine feels the same? how is throttle response? I assume power build more strong then before to redline after 4000rpm?
I cannot rev-match at all with ess's original installation instruction, their follow up ecu map attemping to fix it didn't work either. I manage to locate the brake signal to ECU and cut that wire, which then restore throttle during braking. Everything works now.

And yes, my engie is pretty high mileage, I have no doubt the additional of a supercharger will shorten the lifespan of it. If something break I will post up here so everybody can know the weak point of the engine.

Regarding the power, it felt pretty stock from 0 ~ 3000rpm. 3000 ~ 4000rpm there is some extra pull as it felt easier when accelerate at 6th on the highway. The power build up from 4000rpm to redline with a linear fashion.

Throttle response is surprisingly good actually. I thought the low rpm respond would be bad due to Alpha-N but this is not the case; it juts felt stock.

This is the video I am talking about, the car became quite a bit more oversteery due to the added power. I might need some wider tyre.

*For those who can work out where I am located, please don't spell it out, thanks all.
      05-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #20
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Sweet road.

Before the SC were you fighting the steering/oversteer as much? Do you think that is all from the extra power?

You need Xdrive. Ha.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
Mike.
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
the right hand drive is messing me up!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Beautiful road... jeez louise.
Appreciate 0