E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Aquamist HFS4-3 questions

03-24-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
Canadiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 1999 BMW M3

Aquamist HFS4-3 questions

I recently purchased a 2011 335D and plan to modify it for max reliability/efficiency. As part of this plan I want to install an aquamist controller injecting a 70/30 W/M mixture (Washer fluid). This will be installed immediately after CBU cleaning and EGR block off plate install. I will be retaining the stock Downpipe and SCR until they fail on their own.

My questions are...

1.) What set-up are you using for a water/meth tank in the trunk? And how is it mounted/secured? Aquamist sells a 10L tank with mounting bracket, has anyone fitted this on the driver side above the amp?

2.) Is the aquamist (aquatec) pump included with the kit loud or even noticeable when running? I am looking for a quiet application. Is there a way to isolate the noise from the rest of the cabin? This car is dead silent and I plan to keep it that way... for now.

3.) How do you tap into the signal wires from the ECU harness? I have heard bad things about using Posi-tap or Scotchlok connectors. Is stripping/soldering the best approach? Is there a way to modify the actual pins and run 2 signal wires from one pin in the harness plug?

4.) Have you seen an appreciable difference in EGTs running low ratio Methanol/Water? This is the primary goal as I do several long trips through the mountains where EGTs get very high on long up-hill accents. I want to keep my Turbos healthy and Oil temps in a reasonable range. With EGR deleted to combat CBU my concern is EGTs will be even higher than it is now.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
Yanchii
Second Lieutenant
Moldova
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiesel View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 335D and plan to modify it for max reliability/efficiency. As part of this plan I want to install an aquamist controller injecting a 70/30 W/M mixture (Washer fluid). This will be installed immediately after CBU cleaning and EGR block off plate install. I will be retaining the stock Downpipe and SCR until they fail on their own.

My questions are...

1.) What set-up are you using for a water/meth tank in the trunk? And how is it mounted/secured? Aquamist sells a 10L tank with mounting bracket, has anyone fitted this on the driver side above the amp?

2.) Is the aquamist (aquatec) pump included with the kit loud or even noticeable when running? I am looking for a quiet application. Is there a way to isolate the noise from the rest of the cabin? This car is dead silent and I plan to keep it that way... for now.

3.) How do you tap into the signal wires from the ECU harness? I have heard bad things about using Posi-tap or Scotchlok connectors. Is stripping/soldering the best approach? Is there a way to modify the actual pins and run 2 signal wires from one pin in the harness plug?

4.) Have you seen an appreciable difference in EGTs running low ratio Methanol/Water? This is the primary goal as I do several long trips through the mountains where EGTs get very high on long up-hill accents. I want to keep my Turbos healthy and Oil temps in a reasonable range. With EGR deleted to combat CBU my concern is EGTs will be even higher than it is now.

Thanks!
Very interested! Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
I can't hear my AM pump in my e92, I would not worry about it.

Never solder any connections in cars. Tap or crimp only in a vibration environment.

If you don't know how to tap watch a YouTube video, very easy.

The aquamist tanks are nice and are baffled.

Honestly meth is the last thing I would add and only if you want max performance. It only sprays when you want it to, usually under heavy acceleration not at 1k or part throttle. So I do not know how it will help you on long hauls.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
Canadiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D, 1999 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
I can't hear my AM pump in my e92, I would not worry about it.

Never solder any connections in cars. Tap or crimp only in a vibration environment.

If you don't know how to tap watch a YouTube video, very easy.

The aquamist tanks are nice and are baffled.

Honestly meth is the last thing I would add and only if you want max performance. It only sprays when you want it to, usually under heavy acceleration not at 1k or part throttle. So I do not know how it will help you on long hauls.
Thanks for the follow up. I live on the west coast and drive through the interior of BC often. It's about 4000' + elevation gain, so lot's up uphill for long periods. If It helps keep things a bit cooler, and helps with a bit of power while keeping the intake clean then it's worth the cost for me. And gives a bit of insurance for when I get a tune later on.

Glad to hear the pump is quiet, I'm amazed at the quality of product Aquamist is putting out so i'm not surprised.

Will go with a tap method as it seems the most "proper" just need to do some more research on which taps to use. I believe scotchlok (3M) make a water/corrosion resistant option that is self sealing.
Appreciate 0