E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Active Autowerke's Intercooler -**DETAILED REVIEW WITH AITs POSTED!**

03-23-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Active Autowerke's Intercooler -**DETAILED REVIEW WITH AITs POSTED!**

How we got here

Well, many of you have followed my "Stock Intercooler - AIT Analysis" thread. For me this began as a review of the BMS tuning tool which has become an incredible part of my car, then it turned into a "hey let me look at AITs on the stock intercooler", now it lead me to get a new intercooler. For those that didn't read my AIT analysis for the stock intercooler, here is the link:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242657

The bottom line is the stock intercooler gave AITs over 156 degrees F and performed horribly! It heat soaked almost instaneously and in my opinion absolutely must be changed on every 335 that is considering performance and longevity.

Well, I was faced with the same questions every one of you will be faced with. What is the best intercooler on the market? What else besides the intercooler needs to be replaced? Can I accept cutting? Is the cutting easy? How hard is the install? What is the best bang for buck? This is the situation I was facing.

I bounced around a lot, but decided on going with the Active Autowerke Intercooler. Why? Actually a lot of reasons:

- Active Autowerke has a stellar reputation in the BMW community.
- It is the largest intercooler on the market.
- The kit is very complete including a full replacement of the very poor pre-
and post-intercooler piping. The passenger intercooler piping is HORRIBLE!
- Comes with a shroud to funnel air to the intercooler on all sides. It actually
has a new shroud even to box off the bottom of the intercooler.
- I was willing to cut, if it mean the best intercooler for me. (I will let you
know whether the cutting was easy or hard.

Let me elaborate a bit on some more of the technical specs that people may be interested in:

1. Largest Intercooler on the Market.
2. Bar & Plate Design
3. 88% Increase in Volume Over Stock. If my calculations are correct that
means it is 32% larger than the closest choice.
4. Stock Intercooler - 9 Rows ... Active Autowerke Intercooler - 17 rows!
5. Pressure loss - less than 0.5 psi.
6. Approx 90+% efficiency. (Will give exact shortly)
7. Nearly 100% increase in facial area over stock. (Will give exact shortly)

So, let's look at the Active Autowerke Intercooler.

Packaging

Active Autowerke clearly takes pride in their products and that is obvious from their thorough packaging. Everything was very carefully packaged/protected and arrived in perfect condition to my door. Honestly, I was shocked at how big the intercooler was! The package includes:

1. Intercooler with Mounting Brackets
2. Top and Side Shroud with Seals (All Crinkle Coated Black)
3. Intercooler Underpanel (All Crinkle Coated Black)
4. Mandrel Bent and Polished Left and Right Intercooling Pipes
5. Three Silicone Hoses (2.5" x 3.0")
6. One 90 Degree Bend Silicone Hose
7. Eight #40 Hose Clamps
8. Four Hex Bolts
9. 8 Hex Nuts
10. Active Autowerke's Licence Plate Frame
11. Instruction guide on CD

Unpackaged Items

Again, I have to say the product is stellar. The intercooler is just huge! The welds on the end caps look incredible. The end caps, top, and bottom of the Intercooler are all polished to a high shine. The IC piping is mandrel bent and also polished and shined like a mirror! Finally all the shouds are black crinkle coated with a very nice Active Autowerke logo on the center. The pictures really show it all.

Installation

Normally I would do a very detailed install guide here, but the AA installation CD is extremely thorough. Actually, it is 35 pages long and the single most detailed instruction guide (with pictures) that I have ever seen. It even includes torque specs for stock parts that are loosened.

Here is a link to the guide:

http://www.activeautowerke.com/pdf/product07a.pdf

Since it is so detailed I will cover a few key points. You do have to remove the bumper. Is that hard? No, no, and no! Actually it takes 20 minutes. There is a pretty good DIY here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...y+front+bumper

Did I hit any snags? None. Just remember to unplug your fog lights.

Should you jack the car up? It is really optional. I just drove up on ramps just to get a little more room, but I don't think it is required to be honest.

Next, the install is clearly covered well in the DIY, but I do want to touch on the parts that people I know will ask. Cutting? Hard?

Cutting

Yes, you have to cut. This will cause you to jump, but please read on. You have to cut two things and that is it. You cut off the the stock hoses that feed the intercooler and the plastic shroud in front of the intercooler. First let me cover the stock hoses that need to be removed. In case you are thinking of re-using them on your new intercooler, here is the passenger side hose that connects to the intercooler!

Hmm, I wonder if that is going to cause air flow issues? I am shocked BMW uses that hose to connect the intercooler to the plumbing! Here is what you need to use to cut the clamp off and trust me it is simple even for a novice. Remember it is only the clamp that needs to be cut, so it can easily be reinstalled with a new clamp you can buy at any auto parts store

Now on to the shroud. The plastic shroud has to be cut, but before you jump let me explain. The plastic shroud is the piece that funnels the air into the stock intercooler. It is simple plastic and you can see it if you look where the "plastic bars" are behind the lower center grill. I was worried about this, but it really is simple. Active Autowerke is very detailed in what needs to be cut, but here is a picture

Cut it with this:

Again, this is simple to do and any novice can do it. Can the shroud be returned to stock? No, but the piping can be reinstalled and the stock intercooler can be reinstalled. The cutting is simple and the benefits are enormous.

Since the Active Autowerke intercooler has a shroud on the top, sides, and bottom it seals and funnels the air into the intercooler just like that stock shroud did. Active Autowerke did a phenomenal job with a very snug and sealed fit.

I wanted the largest intercooler after what my AIT testing showed, so some easy cutting was definitely acceptable to me. I sincerely think there is no way a dealer could void a warranty because you put a more efficient unit in your car. This does nothing other than run your car cooler and work the turbos less to produce the same boost.

Time to install is about 3-4 hours depending on how fast you want to work.

One thing of note, cutting that shroud gets rid of those rediculously ugly plastic bars that intersect the middle of the intercooler. Many have cut those plastic bars just to get rid of their ugly look. The are of no importance whatsoever to the stability of your bumper as they are not even connected to it. Well, here are the after installation pictures.

Comparison of Stock Intercooler to Active Autowerke Intercooler

Actually this is kind of telling. The stock intercooler is tiny, with [u]plastic end caps[/b] and simply flimsy. I was actually shocked to see cheap plastic end caps on it! The Active Autowerke is larger, taller, and about the same width. The end caps are polished aluminum versus cheap plastic. I think the pictures tell the story.

Performance

One thing that is important in the design in an intercooler is to get the maximum size without increasing lag. I feel no noticeable lag difference between the stock intercooler and the Active Autowerke intercooler. To me this means the size is correct and I know it will be perfect for those that upgrade their turbos down the line.

The car pulls so much stronger in long gear pulls. 4th gear is night and day different from when I had the stock intercooler in place. So many report a car flopping at high rpms and this is where you will feel a whole different car. The difference is really dramatic to me and you will see why when I show you the AITs. I have not dyno tested it, but if an intercooler's job is to decrease the temperature of the air entering the engine (AITs), then this intercooler gets an A+++. Wait until you see the difference!

Conclusion

Active Autowerke created a top notch product and addressed every single issue with the stock intercooler. It address the efficiency problems, pressure loss, it is a bar & plate design, 88% increase in volume over stock, replaces horrible stock intercooler piping with mandrel bend pipes, shroud, and all hardware necessary. The instructions are top notch. Finally, the truth is the look of the intercooler is unsurpassed. I cannot imagine a better product.

If anyone is interested, Active Autowerke does have special spring pricing in the Group Buy Section.

Of course, you probably want to know the results to my AIT testing now with the AA intercooler? I will post the AIT analysis soon, but it is nothing less than incredible.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Awesome review. I plan on getting one of these eventually so it's nice to see someone with a favorable write up. I'm looking forward to your analysis.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

AIT Analysis

Conditions

Ambient Temperature: 68 Degrees F
Relative Humidity: ~ 30%
Barometric Pressure ~ 1025 mb / 30.30"
Wind: 5 MPH

Testing Procedure

The car was driven very lightly until it reached operating oil temperature. At this point, the AIT was noted. As you can see below the AIT was 73 degrees F at a stand still as testing began or 14 degrees F below initial testing. Everything was done identical to the last testing with identical mods other than the new Active Autowerke Intercooler. These were all long gear pulls like the last time.

Results

Run 1 maxed at an AIT of 102 degrees F or 38 degrees F colder than the stock intercooler.

Run 2 maxed at an AIT of 104 degres F or 37 degrees F colder than the stock intercooler.

Run 3 maxed at an AIT of 112 degrees F or 39 degrees F colder than the stock intercooler.

Run 4 maxed at an AIT of 116 degrees F or 40 degrees F colder than the stock intercooler.

Conclusion

I ran identical conditions and procedure to last time and the Active Autowerke Intercooler produced an average of 38 degrees colder AITs. I simply could not heat soak it. After driving like this within 30 seconds to a minute my AITs dropped to 80 degrees F.

The stock intercooler is serious weak link on the 335i and I think any serious modder absolutely must replace it! It should be the second or third thing to replace in my opinion after your tune and downpipes.

Second, throw the hot intake out the window because DCI's do not produce hot AITs, but the stock intercooler produces hot AITs.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 03-23-2009 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

very thorough. thanks much. anxiously awaiting the AIT comparison vs. stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Mote
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 - 1991 E30

Great review! And thank you! I didn't go with the AA Intercooler but rather the Helix and I hope to achieve similar performance.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Holy shit Active's is sooo much bigger than the rest of the others available! Side by side comparison of the OEM one is a joke...that thing is huge...Only thing is the modifications required and cutting involved that I don't like...Can't wait for your testing to be concluded.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mote View Post
Great review! And thank you! I didn't go with the AA Intercooler but rather the Helix and I hope to achieve similar performance.
I wonder how the Helix and AA compare with similar test cases and conditions?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Holy shit Active's is sooo much bigger than the rest of the others available! Side by side comparison of the OEM one is a joke...that thing is huge...Only thing is the modifications required and cutting involved that I don't like...Can't wait for your testing to be concluded.
it's tall but not very thick, all the others are shorter but much thicker
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Isn't it though? It is huge! Trust me the cutting should not stop you from getting this. You are cutting a piece of plastic and that is it.

The testing is done. I just need some time to organize it so I can post it. I will do it today in that spot I save on reply #2 in here.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

Great review!
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
ThorsHammer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 335i Coupe

I have this Intercooler and love it.

One thing on the installation, on my '09 335i E92, the external temperature sensor is mounted on that part you cut off. You will have to move it and find another place to mount it.

I disconnected mine, and forgot about it. After completing the install, my external temp showed MINUS 40 degrees F and I had a check engine light. It took me forever to figure out what happened. I'm glad I hadn't thrown the cut parts away, or else I would have had to buy a new sensor.

Otherwise, this review is spot on!
"SYONRA" is for sale! http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366678 BSM '09 e92 335i | Performance: JB3, RR Catted DP's, INJEN DCI, Britalman Exhst, AA FMIC, FORGE DVs | Suspension: ST-V1 Coils, Hotchkis Chassis Brace & F/R Sways | Wheels: Bremmer Kraft BR03s, Brake Performance Rotors, Cool Carbon Pads, ECS Lines | Exterior: OEM Aero Lip/Rear, ****** CF Trunk Lid, BLUX5 Angels, M-Force M3 Sides | Interior: Passport 9500ci, Black Trim, M3 Wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #12
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
it's tall but not very thick at all
It is as thick as stock JP. Surface area is enormous too and that is critical to intercooler efficiency. Look at all the intercoolers for things like the supra. Look at radiators. The surface area allows much ambient air to reach the inlet temperature and maximizing its ability to cool.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #13
lamia2super
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
i agree i have a active autowerke intercooler and i couldnt be happier my car run great
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
It is as thick as stock JP. Surface area is enormous too and that is critical to intercooler efficiency. Look at all the intercoolers for things like the supra. Look at radiators. The surface area allows much ambient air to reach the inlet temperature and maximizing its ability to cool.
I'm not bashing it in any way, just saying it looks "so much bigger than others" because instead of making the core thick, they made it tall.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=ThorsHammer;4759554]I have this Intercooler and love it.

One thing on the installation, on my '09 335i E92, the external temperature sensor is mounted on that part you cut off. You will have to move it and find another place to mount it.

I disconnected mine, and forgot about it. After completing the install, my external temp showed MINUS 40 degrees F and I had a check engine light. It took me forever to figure out what happened. I'm glad I hadn't thrown the cut parts away, or else I would have had to buy a new sensor.

Otherwise, this review is spot on!QUOTE]

Thors, you are correct. I forgot to show that. I relocated it on the inside of the side vent on the bumper, i.e. the passenger side grill. I forgot to post the pictures, but here it is:

I simply drilled two tiny holes and mounted it using zip ties.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 03-23-2009 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #16
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm not bashing it in any way, just saying it looks "so much bigger than others" because instead of making the core thick, they made it tall.
The surface area is largest and the core volume largest. Not trying to start a flame war in any way, just stating the facts.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The surface area is largest and the core volume largest. Not trying to start a flame war in any way, just stating the facts.
get to the dyno! i forgot, which tune do you run?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #18
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
get to the dyno! i forgot, which tune do you run?
JP, I have the AIT numbers so you will know what the intercooler is doing. Intercoolers do not add power, they cool AITs which allow your car or tune to create more power. More oxygen for the combustion equals more power. The AIT numbers will tell the story.

You have seen my reviews in the past. I am doing nothing more than providing facts to the community. Nothing more, nothing less. You can do what you want with the information I provide.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

i think you're taking my posts the wrong way. I'm not in any way shape or form saying this AA FMIC doesn't perform, you've already shown it performs with the AIT comparisons.

Quote:
JP, I have the AIT numbers so you will know what the intercooler is doing. Intercoolers do not add power, they cool AITs which allow your car or tune to create more power. More oxygen for the combustion equals more power. The AIT numbers will tell the story.
There is a pressure drop, so you can then run more boost (essentially back to what you had been running) but you will make more power. I'll be posting before/after dyno runs hopefully on friday.

If you have a map specifically for a car with a FMIC, there is a nice measurable difference to go along with AIT comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #20
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
i think you're taking my posts the wrong way. I'm not in any way saying this FMIC doesn't perform, you've already shown it performs with the AIT comparisons.

There is a pressure drop, so you can then run more boost (essentially back to what you had been running) but you will make more power. I'll be posting the before/after dyno runs hopefully on friday.

If you have a map specifically for a car with a FMIC, there is a nice measurable difference to go along with AIT comparisons.
FMIC's do not make power JP, it is a fact. The pressure drop across this IC is less than 0.5 psi as measure by Active Autowerke. Yes that means at the same compressor speed you can run about 1 psi more because it losing less across the inlet versus outlet. If your tune runs more boost then that is about the tune, not the intercooler. Intercooler performance is through AIT reduction and correct sizing to your turbo.

We can start a new thread to discuss this, but lets try to focus on this review and AIT analysis to be posted tonight.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #21
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Great great review and extremely thorough. I was hesitant to cut and was drawn more to the step design of Helix but I think it would be fair to conduct a AIT analysis similar to your and that should be a good measuring stick for intercooler comparison.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep

Yes but you can't efficiently/effectively run ~1psi more without the upgraded FMIC if we're talking about a fully modded car that is.

The AA is a nice unit, thanks for the review!

Quote:
FMIC's do not make power JP, it is a fact. The pressure drop across this IC is less than 0.5 psi as measure by Active Autowerke. Yes that means at the same compressor speed you can run about 1 psi more because it losing less across the inlet versus outlet. If your tune runs more boost then that is about the tune, not the intercooler. Intercooler performance is through AIT reduction and correct sizing to your turbo.
Appreciate 0