E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i engine cooling problem?

06-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewKo View Post
P.S., here is a summary of what Steve Dinan said about the overheating issue at Bimmerfest taken from http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=775485

"I listened to Steve Dinan's lecture at Bimmerfest. He addressed the 335i. Says the hold up on many issues is related to the engine's sub par cooling on the 5&6 cylinders. The engine tends to overheat due to the turbo chargers and the narrow water pathways of the block's water jacket. It sounded like they were going to try improving the volume of the H2O pump to flow more coolant through the motor. I was kinda left with the impression that until they solve the heat issue, they are gonna delay release of anything to increase power since the engine is rather delicate from an overheating perspective."

This above sounds like what I am thinking is necessary to adequately address the issue.
I never digged into this issue. I would be very interesting how many cars really saw temp's of 280 degrees F or higher and if they all don't have the oil-cooler. I'm not sure whether the oil-cooler really fixes the problem. Most of the engines did not generate temps greater 250 degrees F, even running in hot climate environments and being driven hard. The posting I quoted sounds very comprehensible for me. There has never been a official fix from BMW.

Cheers
Eugen
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 10:22 AM   #24
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
This overheating of clylinder #5 and #6 is a quite old story and came up when Alpina developed the 360 bhp version of the N54 engine. I had a tel. discussion with a guy who has been involved in the development those times ( end of 2006 ). According to him it has been a design flaw on early engines and has been fixed ( retrofitted ). It would make no sense for BMW to produce still the old design, being aware about the issue, risking engine problems and having it to be retrofitted by Alpina. This would also be a perfect explanation why there are some engines out producing significant more heat than the majority of the N54's. All I can say is that my engine ( a pretty new one ) is running on the cooler side, with and without the PROcede.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Eugen
Man, that's a pretty bold claim. BMW has changed their water jacket (or water pump?) to account for overheating and has failed to let the early adopters know about it?

That would likely be easily verifiable by a part number check. Can someone check the part number for the old/new water pump and umm....engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:02 AM   #25
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugen.niederreiter View Post
This overheating of clylinder #5 and #6 is a quite old story and came up when Alpina developed the 360 bhp version of the N54 engine. I had a tel. discussion with a guy who has been involved in the development those times ( end of 2006 ). According to him it has been a design flaw on early engines and has been fixed ( retrofitted ). It would make no sense for BMW to produce still the old design, being aware about the issue, risking engine problems and having it to be retrofitted by Alpina. This would also be a perfect explanation why there are some engines out producing significant more heat than the majority of the N54's. All I can say is that my engine ( a pretty new one ) is running on the cooler side, with and without the PROcede.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Eugen
Fixing / retrofitting what exactly?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #26
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I read on roadfly that more guys are having their 335i's go into limp mode (BMW oil cooler et al) on track events. The thread even said BMW driving school in CA was having the issue too!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 01:47 PM   #27
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

I have a late August, 2006 sedan built. It has already been through a HPFP and a Power Steering pulley disintegration. Here is an experience I had last week. It was a blast by the way.

The ambient temperature was 110 degrees per car’s computer around 5:30 last
Wednesday. We were just clearing afternoon rush hour 40 miles north of Phoenix on I17 headed to Flagstaff for dinner (can you think of a better excuse to drive a 335i, 280 miles round trip when flagstaff is 25 degrees cooler than Phoenix and has great restaurants?). Just past Black Canyon City, the freeway climbs up a beautiful 7 mile stretch of canyon walls up to a mesa at better than 6% grade. The 18 wheelers with their flashers on in the slow lane and hulking SUV’s doing 70 mph in the fast lane create a nice coned course set up on top of the well engineered S curves. The canyon walls on one side and the guard rails on the other assure a cop free jaunt to the top.

I routinely drove 125 mph during European delivery on cruise control after the break in period back in October. Oil temp reading of 240 degrees was standard with 70 degree ambient temps. Last Wednesday, I had the presence of mind to reset the computer to record my average speed from bottom to top of the mesa, but I got too excited and the jaunt ended too soon to remember to turn off the climate control set at 72 degrees and didn’t look at the oil temp. Gage until cresting the mesa and coasting down to 85mph where cruise control took back control. The gauge was exactly halfway between 210 and 300 or around 255 degrees.

There were three of us in the car and a fair amount of stuff in the trunk and a full tank of gas.

Shawn
Phoenix
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #28
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_speed View Post
...Last Wednesday, I had the presence of mind to reset the computer to record my average speed from bottom to top of the mesa, but I got too excited and the jaunt ended too soon to remember to turn off the climate control set at 72 degrees and didn’t look at the oil temp. Gage until cresting the mesa and coasting down to 85mph where cruise control took back control. The gauge was exactly halfway between 210 and 300 or around 255 degrees....

Shawn
Phoenix
Shawn:
I don't think I understand the paragraph I quoted above... your car went into Limp mode until you went over the mesa and temperatures came down? I noticed you have a manual tranny. From what I understand, cars with manual trannys are less prone to overheat.

There's a very long uphill climb on the way to Las Vegas from Southern California. I have a feeling many, of our 335i sedans/coupes with steptronic will go limp during this climb during the summer heat months with our AC's on full blast, loaded with luggage/passengers and a full tank of gas.

This long uphill climb has always been the achilles heel of cars with cooling problems. I used to have a Subaru SVX, known to have issues with transmissions overheating. This climb killed the SVX transmission and it required a complete rebuild.

I wonder if there is a high-performance water pump we can put in place of the factory unit?

Sam
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #29
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

6MT with oil cooler. On a hard hard track run, with temps in the 90's, it got up to 280-290 degrees.

It's disingenuous that BMW changed the new gauges to read to 340 considering power starts getting cut at 300.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 02:53 PM   #30
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastman View Post
6MT with oil cooler. On a hard hard track run, with temps in the 90's, it got up to 280-290 degrees.

It's disingenuous that BMW changed the new gauges to read to 340 considering power starts getting cut at 300.

Maybe BMW should drop a the V-8 from the upcoming M3 into our cars. Reduce it down to 3.0 liters.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 06-25-2007 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I have a 6mt with oil cooler, and even under hard driving in 95 degree south Florida weather, still have not seen the gauge go over 240
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:39 PM   #32
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Shawn:
I don't think I understand the paragraph I quoted above... your car went into Limp mode until you went over the mesa and temperatures came down? I noticed you have a manual tranny. From what I understand, cars with manual trannys are less prone to overheat.

There's a very long uphill climb on the way to Las Vegas from Southern California. I have a feeling many, of our 335i sedans/coupes with steptronic will go limp during this climb during the summer heat months with our AC's on full blast, loaded with luggage/passengers and a full tank of gas.

This long uphill climb has always been the achilles heel of cars with cooling problems. I used to have a Subaru SVX, known to have issues with transmissions overheating. This climb killed the SVX transmission and it required a complete rebuild.

I wonder if there is a high-performance water pump we can put in place of the factory unit?

Sam
I just did that trip this weekend, oil temp never got over 240 F anytime from here to Vegas and back, going back in a week and a half. Two people, luggage, full tank and a heavy right foot. No problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #33
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS335i View Post
I just did that trip this weekend, oil temp never got over 240 F anytime from here to Vegas and back, going back in a week and a half. Two people, luggage, full tank and a heavy right foot. No problem.
Do you have steptronic or 6sp manual?
Sam
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #34
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Sept '06 build, step/sport, no oil cooler. 6700 miles, no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #35
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
Shawn:

Sam
No, nothing bad happened. The point of my post is that you would be hard pressed to find a more stressful real life situation that what I went through in a very hot day. I had the climate control working very hard, a loaded car and I was in the 4000 to 6000 rpm range all the way up the Mesa. I had not seen temps higher than 240 before and this time I saw 255. The car did not have any problems whatsoever.

This is 6 speed MT car with 6500 miles on it.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #36
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

If there is no problem then why do post 3/07 Zsp/AT come with a secondary oil cooler?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #37
Gator335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E38 E39 E60 E70 E92

Does BMW make an oil cooler you can add-on that won't void the warranty? A la, a Performance Oil Cooler?
Appreciate 0