Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tires rubbing on lowering springs and stock dampeners?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Tires rubbing on lowering springs and stock dampeners?

So in the rear Im running 18x9.5et35 with 12.5mm spacers on 245/40 sumitomos. Im lowered on H&R sport springs and i have pretty bad rubbing problems on turns and noticeable bumps in the road and my rear fenders have a slight roll already (not flush or even close to being flush). My question is, could my stock dampeners/struts be worn and be whats causing the rubbing on turns from body roll? If not, would a more aggressive fender roll do the trick? Excuse the filth, Ive been dealing with North Carolina weather. Heres some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

The offset seems pretty aggressive because with the spacer you're at ~22et. On a 9.5" wheel, you're probably just digging into the fender. The expensive solution would be to get a 5mm spacer to bring the wheel in towards center

Have you cut the fender liner/wheel well arch liner?
      04-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
The offset seems pretty aggressive because with the spacer you're at ~22et. On a 9.5" wheel, you're probably just digging into the fender. The expensive solution would be to get a 5mm spacer to bring the wheel in towards center

Have you cut the fender liner/wheel well arch liner?
No I havent, nothings been changed besides a slight roll on the fenders. I just put the 12.5mm spacers on yesterday and id like to keep them on because the fitment is alot closer to where I want it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

tisdrew is correct, your effective offset with the spacers installed is ET22.5 which is quite aggressive for the rear of an E9X non-M. The fact that you have slightly stretched tires does help with clearance (most run 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 on 9.5" rear wheels), so you can likely solve the rubbing issue by dialing in negative camber.

Are you running the factory rear camber specs out back?

- Ryan
      04-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
ducatiti
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Just for reference. When I had stock non sport struts and stock springs, I was rubbing with the following setup up front on sudden turns and/or bumps:

225/40 - 18 x 8 - ET34 - and with 15mm spacers... (I had to go with 10mm spacers to fix this.)

Recently installed a B12 kit with the same setup and 10mm spacers, no rubbing at all. I believe that I can use 15mm spacers with no rubbing at all now.

In my case, it was the worn shocks/struts which I didn't know till I replaced them.

No rubbing at all with 25mm spacers on the rear before and after the new suspension install even when the car is packed.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
tisdrew is correct, your effective offset with the spacers installed is ET22.5 which is quite aggressive for the rear of an E9X non-M. The fact that you have slightly stretched tires does help with clearance (most run 265/35-18 or 275/35-18 on 9.5" rear wheels), so you can likely solve the rubbing issue by dialing in negative camber.

Are you running the factory rear camber specs out back?

- Ryan
I believe they are close if not exact as when i got my car lowered they did a front and rear alignment. I would add camber but im afraid of expedited tire wear and also losing the small bit of poke i have now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiti View Post
Just for reference. When I had stock non sport struts and stock springs, I was rubbing with the following setup up front on sudden turns and/or bumps:

225/40 - 18 x 8 - ET34 - and with 15mm spacers... (I had to go with 10mm spacers to fix this.)

Recently installed a B12 kit with the same setup and 10mm spacers, no rubbing at all. I believe that I can use 15mm spacers with no rubbing at all now.

In my case, it was the worn shocks/struts which I didn't know till I replaced them.

No rubbing at all with 25mm spacers on the rear before and after the new suspension install even when the car is packed.
Interesting. Yeah, im on stock struts all the way around with the h&r springs so im thinking maybe that has something to do with it. What would be some good struts to replace the stock ones with? It doesnt have to be the best and most expensive as im a high school student and like to ball on a budget
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #8
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
Interesting. Yeah, im on stock struts all the way around with the h&r springs so im thinking maybe that has something to do with it. What would be some good struts to replace the stock ones with? It doesnt have to be the best and most expensive as im a high school student and like to ball on a budget
How many miles do you have on your struts/shocks? Two of mine stayed down when pushed all the way in @86k... It rode fine though but sat a little lower than when the car is new.

With your setup, I would go with the Bilstein B8. I believe they come with a lifetime replacement warranty from the manufacturer here in the US. May be a bit more firm initially but well worth it for the price.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #9
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Also based on your picture, the rears shouldn't be rubbing IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
ducatiti
Captain
Rep

Here is a picture with the 15mm spacer up front on stock suspension.

Looks like my tires are sticking out more than your current setup..

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #11
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ducatiti, yes your fronts do stick out more than my fronts but my fronts are fine. They are only 8.5 wide and et30 so they are not very aggressive. My car has 97k miles on it and everything is original on it besides the things that I've changed of course and the struts arent on that list. Ill look into the Bilsteins if you think my struts could really be a part of the issue. I think ive had lowering springs on my car for maybe 6000 miles now. Also, my tires are rubbing the inner fender so I guess it just needs a better fender roll but im open to all suggestions
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M3

Quote:
I believe they are close if not exact as when i got my car lowered they did a front and rear alignment. I would add camber but im afraid of expedited tire wear and also losing the small bit of poke i have now.
Adding a bit more negative camber is not going to cause significant inner camber wear as long as you have the proper toe settings. A touch more negative camber, a slightly more aggressive fender roll, and/or freshening up your tired suspension may all alleviate the issue.

- Ryan
      04-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexRaceParts View Post
Quote:
Adding a bit more negative camber is not going to cause significant inner camber wear as long as you have the proper toe settings. A touch more negative camber, a slightly more aggressive fender roll, and/or freshening up your tired suspension may all alleviate the issue.

- Ryan
Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!
Appreciate 0