E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Valved Exhaust or nah?

03-24-2020, 07:38 AM   #1
jackalope719
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Valved Exhaust or nah?

2 things on my mind at the moment...

1. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust on my 08 335xi.
The valvetronic exhaust that switches from stock to straight pipe sounds pretty cool, so do the dual valve setups from ECS and Turner. Is there benefit to having both sides of exhaust valved? As opposed to 1 side with the valvetronic?
I've been set on a catback setup but the valve setup looks fun too..

2. I have vrsf catless DPs with secondary cats and resonators still in place.

If i'm looking to get more burbles going, would resonator delete with X-Pipe accomplish this? or would secondary cat delete, replaced with vibrant resonators be the way to go?
both?

Currently on MHD stage 2+ with FBO setup

I appreciate any relevant advice!

Last edited by jackalope719; 03-24-2020 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
fortywater
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

Are you not hearing burbles currently with your catless DP and burbles turned on in MHD?

Also, I have always been a huge fan of valved exhausts. They are usually a bit more pricey, but the convenience of being able to go from loud to quiet is awesome. This way you don't have to be obnoxious everywhere you go or when you cold start in your neighborhood.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
jackalope719
Rep

Eh, the burbles with MHD are pretty minimal when its turned on, and i don't think there's any noticeable burble if I don't have burble turned on. Car rips otherwise.

Definitely leaning towards valved exhaust now, but still trying to figure out the exhaust science here.. is the muffler the thing preventing the exhaust sound I want? Or is it the resonators / secondaries I should focus on?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope719 View Post
Eh, the burbles with MHD are pretty minimal when its turned on, and i don't think there's any noticeable burble if I don't have burble turned on. Car rips otherwise.

Definitely leaning towards valved exhaust now, but still trying to figure out the exhaust science here.. is the muffler the thing preventing the exhaust sound I want? Or is it the resonators / secondaries I should focus on?
The mufflers do exactly what it sounds like, they muffle the noise that comes out of the exhaust. They accomplish this by passing it through a series of perforated pipes. Deleting this will make your exhaust overall louder.

The resonator changes tone of the exhaust. With a resonator delete you will likely hear more rasp. The resonator acts as an echo chamber and helps mitigate which frequencies of sound are traveling out of the unit and into the muffler.

It all depends what you want. Do you just want overall louder? Try and youtube some videos of exhaust setups. Straight pipes from the resonator back is what a valved muffler set-up would sound like with valves open.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #5
jackalope719
Rep

thanks, I just want burbles. thats it.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #6
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

I think you have your MHD settings wrong. It happened to me. If your car is an automatic make sure you set burble settings for the 'base' mode which will be your sport / manual mode. The 'sport' setting is for dct vehicles. I had mine set to medium and I was catless. Straight up sounded like gunshots lol... I had to lower it to soft because it was too much.

Last edited by uber; 03-25-2020 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
fortywater
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope719 View Post
thanks, I just want burbles. thats it.
You should have plenty of burbles with a catless DP. I'd play around with your MHD more. Check out uber's advice above.
Appreciate 0