E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > '11 335d w/ Profi Exhaust and

08-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Smile

Apologies for posting so late and the lack of better photos etc. I had just a few hours to finish before leaving for a trip so was in a hurry.

Background:

'11 M-Sport
~96,000 mi. at time of delete
EGR block off plates installed
Access to regular basic tools and a friend with welding experience.
Bought Stainless Steel Gas and Wire in case any welding was necessary.
Spare DDE for clone and tune.

Parts & Rough Price:
Jerek 2.5 Tune via AARodriguez (tune & DDE clone ~$1000)
Profi Exhaust via Facebook then email (~$1180)
Final exhaust tips via exhaust shop locally (~$100-120?)

Install:

There are plenty of instructions floating around on the forums. Only memorable difficult parts were as follows:

Recessed bolts within motor mount if I’m not mistaken;
Alignment of DP;
Alignment of exhaust tips (so it looked centered etc.);
Removal of EGT bung and replaced with stock EGT bung.
I removed most all unused parts. If there were small brackets/ empty bolt areas, I placed the brackets/ bolts back in case I ever need to put it back and I wont have parts laying around the garage to lose.

Final Thoughts:

Looks to me were not important as most is covered and under the car out of sight anyways. As long as it did the job it was supposed to, and what is visible looks fairly stock, I would be happy. Although I am not a fan of the "slip on" exhaust with clamps, this setup surpassed my expectations. For most DP coasting near the amount I paid for the full exhaust, I still wouldn’t be able to justify spending a greater amount of money for a non "slip on" type design even it may fit "more perfectly". I was extremely nervous doing business with a company out of the states, via email and PayPal, however they were very responsive via email typically replying within hours. Would I recommend this to someone with like expectations as I had, YES! The only issue design wise was the bung, which may be fixed by now, IDK. Any questions please feel free to ask!

Hopefully I don't jinx it but I'm at 1023xx mi. without issues...

Here are some photos and videos of everything...

Photos:

PASSWORD: e90post

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Hock...Tune%20Install

Videos:

1: Rear View of Smoke and Sound -

2: Sound Within Car -

3: Sound Outside Car -

4: Full Car View From Beneath -
Appreciate 3
chau27.50
robnitro160.00
      08-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #2
ChiDiddy
Rep
Drives: pop smoke

Awesome thorough post with vids!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #3
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Alpine white 335d MSport... perfect. You have a good point regarding the pricing of the turbo back exhaust considering the downpipes alone are half that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #4
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chau
Alpine white 335d MSport... perfect.
depending on how I drive and how long between washes, it's more like 3/4 Alpine white 1/4 grey. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #5
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chau
Alpine white 335d MSport... perfect. You have a good point regarding the pricing of the turbo back exhaust considering the downpipes alone are half that.
Yes, pay more for looks that aren't seen... as I say for anything in life, if you have the money for it, why not!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
chau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
depending on how I drive and how long between washes, it's more like 3/4 Alpine white 1/4 grey. lol
Very true, ever since the SCR delete, my bumper is more black than silver.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

That is a REALLY nice exhaust! But it sounds virtually the same as a dpf/scr delete stock exhaust. I cannot tell the difference in sound. But it saves weight and is certainly a beautiful part.thanks for the video!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

what did you do about the exhaust tips? The clamps on mine loosened up ridiculously quickly so I just tacked the end of the set screw to the exhaust. Seems to be working.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper
what did you do about the exhaust tips? The clamps on mine loosened up ridiculously quickly so I just tacked the end of the set screw to the exhaust. Seems to be working.
I don't like being able to see the pipe in the tips so I went and bought new tips and had the shop weld them on. I wanted the tip to stick out past bumper so it wouldn't get as dirty. this was accomplished but not as far out as I would have liked (the shop cut the pipe too short by accident).

here's photos of them right now all dirty....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Hockey, you are a nut! That last video of car backing up over camera was a riot. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
That's why I preferred the Cyba CF tips for my car. Firstly, I've never been a chrome guy but the main thing I like is that the darker shade hides any dirty pipes:

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #12
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Nice brother! He are the few pics I have in my end from the install.

Trying to get him to do a hood stack!

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #13
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

What about drone with this exhaust? I like the noise outside of the car, but I don't want much change on the inside.

Also, does this exhaust hang lower down than the stock exhaust. It kind of looks that way in the drive by video.

Lastly, what was wrong with the egt bung? Wrong size? Does it have two bungs ready for sensor install?
      06-02-2017, 03:34 AM   #14
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs
What about drone with this exhaust? I like the noise outside of the car, but I don't want much change on the inside.

Also, does this exhaust hang lower down than the stock exhaust. It kind of looks that way in the drive by video.

Lastly, what was wrong with the egt bung? Wrong size? Does it have two bungs ready for sensor install?
drone: Slight muffler sound inside of the car. not annoying or pound so don't be concerned. I'd take a video but o doubt you'll be able to hear anything other than usual road noise.

clearance: iirc profi makes the exhaust by hand at the time of order. With that in mind, yes, the downpipe (first pipe off turbo) did seem to hang maybe 1/2"MAX lower. maybe I didn't get it adjusted just right, idk, but I had a deadline and did it on stands.

bung: it has 1 egt and 1 o2 bung welded and in the correct place. the issue was the egt bung. imaging looming through a bolt. pretend it's 1/2" opening through the bolt. that's what they have. now, imagine the same bolt and you looking through but put a washer on the end furthest from you where the washer now has an opening of 1/4" that would allow a bolt to screw all of the way down and get stopped by the washer. our egt has that bolt but a probe that is loose and slides in and out of the bolt. there needs to be a base of smaller diameter than the bolt allowing the probe to pass through, but stop the bolt. that's it explained simply. anyways, I just cut out that egt bung and cut off one from the stock exhaust. then welded the one from the stock onto the profi. apparently if you let profi know they will put the correct one or leave it off so you could put the correct one. someone on here said they used a.dodge ram.bung. you may be able to find it also, I have a video showing what I mean on YouTube.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 03:37 AM   #15
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs

heres the video with explanation

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #16
Hockey13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

also, I've yet to scrape the exhaust on anything, the front bumper lip is a other story.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #17
Lexustbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13 View Post
drone: Slight muffler sound inside of the car. not annoying or pound so don't be concerned. I'd take a video but o doubt you'll be able to hear anything other than usual road noise.

clearance: iirc profi makes the exhaust by hand at the time of order. With that in mind, yes, the downpipe (first pipe off turbo) did seem to hang maybe 1/2"MAX lower. maybe I didn't get it adjusted just right, idk, but I had a deadline and did it on stands.

bung: it has 1 egt and 1 o2 bung welded and in the correct place. the issue was the egt bung. imaging looming through a bolt. pretend it's 1/2" opening through the bolt. that's what they have. now, imagine the same bolt and you looking through but put a washer on the end furthest from you where the washer now has an opening of 1/4" that would allow a bolt to screw all of the way down and get stopped by the washer. our egt has that bolt but a probe that is loose and slides in and out of the bolt. there needs to be a base of smaller diameter than the bolt allowing the probe to pass through, but stop the bolt. that's it explained simply. anyways, I just cut out that egt bung and cut off one from the stock exhaust. then welded the one from the stock onto the profi. apparently if you let profi know they will put the correct one or leave it off so you could put the correct one. someone on here said they used a.dodge ram.bung. you may be able to find it also, I have a video showing what I mean on YouTube.

Thanks for the reply. Excellent info. i just ordered mine yesterday. I'm glad to know you were able to do the DPF removal on jack stands. Any good tool tips for removing the motor mount or DPF?
      06-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #18
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexustbs View Post
Thanks for the reply. Excellent info. i just ordered mine yesterday. I'm glad to know you were able to do the DPF removal on jack stands. Any good tool tips for removing the motor mount or DPF?
Check out the DPF delete sticky in the forum
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #19
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
I hate using e90post, so if you would, just join the North American 335d and X5d Owners Group on Facebook, and ask for me, I'll help you out as well. Did the work on jack stands not too long ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #20
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b
Quote:
Check out the DPF delete sticky in the forum
download the .PDF instructions
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #21
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quote:
I got my profi about 2 1/2 years ago and i had no egt bung, so I used a dodge ram bung. worked great. Mine doesn't sit much lower then stock. I even used the stock center brace to hold the PROFI in case I got a speed bump. But all has been great.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

I ordered my profi and its finay shipped but i havnt got it yet. I spoke to Ivo and he assured me he fixed the egt bung issue and also he was kind enough to let me pay a little extra for v-band fittings instead of slip...just for ease of assembly or disassembly.
Appreciate 0