E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d PCV Catch Can Question

07-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

sent TXT to Turbo Eddie and waiting for his response will keep everyone posted ok
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Rotor nice find Id go with a more rugged type hose a la braided one to stand out, what u think about it?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #25
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIwyse View Post
Excellent. I'll search for your posts.

Also, how much "stuff" are you collecting in that catch can?
I found this: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769963

But I'm not having luck finding a thread/posting going over the details on your install. If you have a link to something like that I'd love to read it. If not, please post more details!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #26
acewiza
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

I think a better, easier, cheaper and more effective solution would be to remove the vent tube entirely, plug the intake opening for it and vent it to the atmosphere out the bottom of the car somewhere like a real "vent" is supposed to work.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #27
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by acewiza View Post
I think a better, easier, cheaper and more effective solution would be to remove the vent tube entirely, plug the intake opening for it and vent it to the atmosphere out the bottom of the car somewhere like a real "vent" is supposed to work.
often doesnt work well if the vent connection is after the MAF which in our case it is (usually is since oil on the MAF element is no good). The ECU expects air volume through the tube and plans for it. Not sure if it would throw a code on our cars but with the ridiculous # of codes that the ECU has I wouldnt be surprised. I wouldnt be opposed to someone else giving it a try though
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #28
acewiza
Banned
Rep

If as I suspect, it is simply the crankcase vent being routed back to the intake for cosmetic and environmental purposes, the MAF would never know the difference. It is downstream of the MAF and doesn't flow that much unless the engine is shot anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #29
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

didnt the older vehicles used to have something called PCV valve or crankcase ventilator
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #30
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If as I suspect, it is simply the crankcase vent being routed back to the intake for cosmetic and environmental purposes, the MAF would never know the difference. It is downstream of the MAF and doesn't flow that much unless the engine is shot anyway.
thats what I said, the vent comes in AFTER the MAF so the MAF readings stay the same but the ECU compensates for the vent air along with the MAF reading. Trust me, Ive seen this be an issue before and that was in an 8 year older car. Its entirely possible that it wouldnt make a difference, and also possible that it will throw a code and be a pain which is why I am not opposed to someone trying it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #31
acewiza
Banned
Rep

Crankcase vents on diesels and PCV systems on gassers are two completely different animals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Trust me, Ive seen this be an issue before and that was in an 8 year older car.
What make and model?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #32
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Ace I think he's mentioning cars of ealier models than 1999 if im not wrong on this
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
acewiza
Banned
Rep

I don't think he knows WTF he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #34
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

easy amigo Ace we dont denigrate people here, he might be wrong but you can easily be banned from this forum, just a word of advice amigo!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #35
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Another thing amigo Ace our ECU's are so much intertwined with the engine that in fact a code can come up but Im not the one to say but I can almost bet it would cause an error code , im kind of leaning towards what you said it might not even notice the change , if their is a vaccum sensor somwhere it will probably trigger it, so definetly we're screwed again!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Crankcase vents on diesels and PCV systems on gassers are two completely different animals.

What make and model?
2002 Nissan Maxima. Do explain the difference then. Both have crankcase vent on non-pressurized side of intake tract, both connect post MAF, one passes a hell of a lot more oil than the other though

Quote:
I don't think he knows WTF he's talking about.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #37
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Some of us would actually like to be corrected but with the right information and best with some references. What is nice about a forum is that we learn from everyone at least something.

PL
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Very true amigo Pierre but w/o bashing each other amigo Ace got out of line
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #39
acewiza
Banned
Rep

No, Hooper's out of line because he is feeding you bad information. You go right on with it if you like.

Nissan maxima != 335d in terms of crankcase ventilation.

Not even close.

Now I'm sure he knows not WTF he's talking about and I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #40
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No, Hooper's out of line because he is feeding you bad information. You go right on with it if you like.

Nissan maxima != 335d in terms of crankcase ventilation.

Not even close.

Now I'm sure he knows not WTF he's talking about and I'm done.
good explanation there. Even better would be if you would just test your theory and report back. Nobody would be disappointed to get some real-life data points here
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #41
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Amigo ace I'm not siding w one or the other I'm mew also to diesels
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #42
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Depending on how the engine crankcase system was designed, it's not a good idea to remove the "vacuum" assisted evacuation of the crank case system when boost is being applied. Also why it's important to properly size your catch can (and hoses, connectors, routing length, etc.) properly so the crankcase venting isn't choked. The Provent link I had shows specs on power output the unit was designed to work with.

Here's some good reading:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/e...ogging-TDI.htm

The main component of the CCV system is on top of the valve cover and looks like a black plastic hockey puck with a hose. Diesel cars naturally have more piston blowby than gasoline engines which pressurizes the engine crankcase. Since diesels don't have a strong vacuum in the intake system like gasoline engines, they use a vacuum pump to run the brake booster and other items. Gas engines are throttled by air - they use a throttle plate which creates a vacuum and pumping losses as a byproduct. The vacuum pump creates vacuum on one side and pressure on the other - this air pressure goes into the crankcase. Air pressure from these two sources must be vented or else it could blow out an oil seal. The CCV hose is attached to the intake piping before the turbocharger so that crankcase vapors and air pressure are drawn out of the engine crankcase. There may be a heating element on the hose to prevent it from icing up. (The oil in the crankcase vapors is why it's normal for a little bit of oil in the intercooler to be present. However, excess oil could indicate a problem.) The soot from the exhaust and oil mist combine to form the carbon buildup. Again, quality of fuel (biodiesel or ultra low sulfur diesel), engine oil, EGR system operation, and driving style all contribute to carbon buildup which must be cleaned. Since the introduction of ultra low sulfur diesel in the US, the likelihood of severe intake manifold buildup has reduced.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #43
acewiza
Banned
Rep

I will be having a look under the engine cover for the 1st time later today to install the JBD (yay!). One thing I will be looking for is where the vacuum lines lead. I'll go out on a limb now taking a WAG that black puck is a simple filter (performing a catch-can "type" function draining back into the valve cover) and there is no vacuum whatsoever involved with the 335D crankcase vent, except inasmuch as is drawn through the intake stream itself.

I may very well be wrong, but that's what WAG's are for!

Last edited by acewiza; 07-23-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #44
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'll go out on a limb now taking a WAG that black puck is a simple filter
sort of, its more of an air/oil separator than a filter but performs the same task

Quote:
there is no vacuum whatsoever involved with the 335D crankcase vent, except inasmuch as is drawn through the intake stream itself.
yes, there is not significant vacuum on it, more Bernoulli's principle pulling air out of the crankcase
Appreciate 0