E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Sharkedit (Shark Injector) tuner from Jim C. ($299 and details)

Closed Thread

05-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #89
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
That is true. But for me personally, July 1 is fine. I'm going to be so damn busy for the next 3 weeks getting ready for my 24 day vacation (to Germany, no less) that I won't have time play around with the car much anyway. When I get back in late June, it will only be 2 more weeks.

During the vacation, I won't be reading the boards multiple times per day, so my sanity will remain intact. The rest of you poor slobs however, without such a distraction, are going to be going Nuckin' Futz between now and then....
Yah, just think what fun being in Germany with a Conforti editor system would be. Rent a 335 and BOOM! P-cars and AMGs would never know what hit them..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:07 PM   #90
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I'm glad I waited too.
      05-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #91
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I would normally agree with if it was pre a license agreement but in this case there is none or one implied so IP rights were lost as soon as it was sold. I am sure some will match it the hard way but it not something I am going to do.

Orb

Are you sure you didn't sign an end user license when you got your false? Check your documentation..... It would be dumb of Dinan not to recognize the value of software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Excellent, although if there are folks breaking 1024 bit encryption, it won't surprise me to see unscrupulous types trying to sell pirated copies. If you have a system to prevent this

We don't know how Jim is getting through, I would surmise he is NOT going through the encryption. Since the Land Shark can be used on many different types of BMW DMEs, he must be getting through in a way very similar to BMW dealers so he would have a dealer type of key.

Don't really care either (other than my own sense of curiousity).....as long as people like Jim are rewarded, people will not be stuck with stock cars.
      05-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #92
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I gotta say before I crash that this is the most amazing day since I first got wind that the 335 was in the works for the USA market.

Really interesting that we have people over here like Jim Conforti that not only have the remarkable brights to figure out a system like this, but the moxy to do it. I mean, WOW! And not for $1,000 or a price that at this point I think the market would bear (look at what piggys have been going for), but $299 + $ for a program. And the business model to run a fleet of tuners with edit pro. Incredible. I dare say there are very, very few people in Germany that would ever dream to take on BMW AG this way. WOW. WOW. WOW.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #93
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
Last post before sleep

I think (personal observation - not corporate observation) that it is BMW's
attempt to capture the market w/ "BMW Performance" that will be their
undoing.

In short - I think someone is eventually going to sue them to Christmas.

Some inventive or wealthy car owner - or one w/ a good litigator Brother-in-law.

How do they get off locking us OWNERS out of the cars we OWN?

But then say - "well, but you can buy it FROM US". (us = BMW Performance)

That entire thing smacks of a major violation of the Moss-Magnuson Warr. Act.

Not to mention anti-trust, competitive restriction, etc laws.

Jim

As soon as you buy a car you can set it on fire but if you want BMW to honor their warranty, you will need to comply with their rules, i.e. regular maintenance, no tuning etc.... BMW has us by the short and curlies by the warranty contract.

They can easily escape any anti-trust / warranty issues....

Just be happy you are one of the few innovators left....you are leading a new generation of tuners....
      05-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #94
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Are you sure you didn't sign an end user license when you got your false? Check your documentation..... It would be dumb of Dinan not to recognize the value of software.

We don't know how Jim is getting through, I would surmise he is NOT going through the encryption. Since the Land Shark can be used on many different types of BMW DMEs, he must be getting through in a way very similar to BMW dealers so he would have a dealer type of key.

Don't really care either (other than my own sense of curiousity).....as long as people like Jim are rewarded, people will not be stuck with stock cars.
I was shocked when I did not get a license agreement or requested to sign on to be honest. The only thing they said verbally that it couldn't be transferred to another car unless it was right off.

I am now expecting one in the mail soon.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #95
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

Right, I was not implying that Jim had broken that key. Just that there are some very clever programmers around these days, so it won't surprise me to see someone trying to slip around his piracy controls. What a world...

At some point I think the E90post/Bimmerpost group needs to make a clear stand against piracy, at least on the list.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #96
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Without sifting thru 5 pages what's the story for the 03/08 and up cars guys?? Looking to order soon and concerned... TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #97
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
Without sifting thru 5 pages what's the story for the 03/08 and up cars guys?? Looking to order soon and concerned... TIA

Not yet. Its next on the list after the m3. ALL the 135s are v81, not to mention the new adopters of the 335, 535, and X6 35. Give it 3-6 months at most.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #98
07-335XI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
That is true. But for me personally, July 1 is fine. I'm going to be so damn busy for the next 3 weeks getting ready for my 24 day vacation (to Germany, no less) that I won't have time play around with the car much anyway. When I get back in late June, it will only be 2 more weeks.

During the vacation, I won't be reading the boards multiple times per day, so my sanity will remain intact. The rest of you poor slobs however, without such a distraction, are going to be going Nuckin' Futz between now and then....
im already going "nuckin' futz" !!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #99
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Jim said he would be picking up his M3, and working on that first. Im excited to drive it...
      05-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #100
drphil71
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Not yet. Its next on the list after the m3. ALL the 135s are v81, not to mention the new adopters of the 335, 535, and X6 35. Give it 3-6 months at most.
I think thats pretty optimistic. So if the Shark Editor is available with a base map, is that pretty much what the Shark Injector will end up being, maybe with a more aggressive base map.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #101
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil71 View Post
I think thats pretty optimistic. So if the Shark Editor is available with a base map, is that pretty much what the Shark Injector will end up being, maybe with a more aggressive base map.

I think sometime between October and January is realistic. I doubt v81 will be that much more difficult to break into, after he's already done v80. I think what you'll end up seeing is vendors like BMS, AA, Vishnu, and Helix selling their own maps for this, because its head and shoulders above anything else on the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:09 AM   #102
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
What I'm scared of is, the flash leaving traces in the v80 DME. I had my warranty voided on my STi because they found out I had a COBB flash even when I had flashed it back to stock maps.

So is this any better at invisibility then piggys?

Why shouldn't we worry about a flash counter?
      05-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #103
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Thanx bro and from what I see Jim's saying there's a hidden code tracked by the DME so the SSTT is now affected by this new DME as well??
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #104
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanx bro and from what I see Jim's saying there's a hidden code tracked by the DME so the SSTT is now affected by this new DME as well??
That seems to be the implication. The "Warranty Gone" code. Jim tends to do his homework BIG TIME when it comes to this stuff, so I'd take his word for it.

EDIT: Seems the V81 will be a nut that needs cracking, but I'm not concerned. Worst case scenario is 6-9 months from today, IMHO.

Regardless, this is the most exciting developement yet in N54 tuning.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #105
uhcoug2011
Uhcoug2011
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

So does anyone know what we are looking at for the price of these "maps" tuners release could be?

Or could we even get them for free?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #106
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
scribed!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:40 AM   #107
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
since the V81 ecu will be with all new n54 and bmw putting them in everything with 4 wheels now, Jim and others will want to crack the V81 to continue to grow market share. It will take time but now with jim on the case i will wait.
      05-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #108
Jeff@Eurobahn.us
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: European

Wink

Quote:

I can't speak for other products but ours has been tested and we do not leave codes. What is really scarry is releasing a DME editor that anyone can start messing around with code.

Since this DME counts updates this is going to be interesting. And the idea that Magnusson Moss protects this is rediculous. The minute you touch the code in this car you are in violation of proprietory licenses.

Bimmerfest was a blast this year and hello to everyone who stopped by A big thank you to our Turbo Tuner installer Danny who spent the whole day doing installs!

Jeff
Eurobahn
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #109
aaronb
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
No. The "hidden code" is only tripped when an output torque threshold is met, from what I gather.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 02:31 AM   #110
aaronb
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
That is the ONE thing you cannot do w/ my tool - it is not a tool for software
or IP theft.

Jim
Does this imply Sharkedit won't allow saving of my current dinan map before changes?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread