E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Removing powdercoat??

09-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Removing powdercoat??

I bought a set of VS7s and I wasn't a fan of the color choice on them and I really liked the original finish of the wheel which was sparkling silver. I went to a powder coater and they said since they were aluminum if they blasted them it would pit the metal so they didn't want to do it. So I decided to go with a generic wheel silver and just powder over the older powder. Well the color didn't come out exactly how I pictured although it does look better than the previous color.

Now to the question, I am thinking of chemically stripping all the powder off and just brushing the aluminum and clear coating it. Anyone have experience with stripping powdercoat? I've done some research and people say either aircraft stripper or eastwood paint dissolver. The eastwood stuff has to submerge the whole wheel and at 75 bucks a gallon, I don't know if thats reasonable. Has anyone had any experience with these products on wheels or do they know of something better to use? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0