E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B4 (non sport) with SE springs and 19" Wheels (Non run-flats)?

11-28-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 PreLCI 330d SE Coupe B.Red

Bilstein B4 (non sport) with SE springs and 19" Wheels (Non run-flats)?

Hi All,

I know similar topics on B4s have been covered but I need info on my specific model so hoping you can help me out..

I've been doing a lot of research on Bilstein B4 for the E9x gen cars.

I have learnt that Bilstein made the shocks for the E9x LCI models and SACHS made the shocks for the E9x Pre-LCI models.

Now, I did a terrible mistake about 3 months back when I fitted x4 OEM Sachs standard suspension shocks to my Pre-LCI E92 330d SE. The reason being because apparently the Pre-LCI used shocks (ignoring the M3) from SACHS and they did a terrible job because the Pre-LCI E9x suspension is pretty bad in most senses: crashing over bumps, loud thuds in the cabin, harsh road feel and pothole explosions.

Now, the LCI models had their shocks from Bilstein, using B4s and I have learnt that most people say the LCI had a much much more compliant ride then the Pre-LCI bar the pothole explosions. I have also learnt that people who have fitted B4 to their Pre-LCI cars have improved their ride quality significantly.

Now, I am on 225/35 and 255/30 19" LA wheels with non run-flats. I am looking to significantly improve the comfort, crashing over bumps, thuds and harsh road feel.

I have been reading that B4 non-sport are the best for the comfiest ride however a lot of people install eibach pro springs with them etc...

I would like to know if the B4 non-sport with the standard SE springs is a good match in terms of spring size etc and whether this will improve my ride quality with the 19" wheels?

I sat in the back of my car today and noticed the ride is completely different - i.e no thuds, no harshness, no crashing over bumps, just a firm but cushy ride. So this can only result to one thing: the front shocks are causing the above symptoms.

And one more thing. If I do decide to go for the B4s, I might as well change the front springs... so can anyone let me know the Bilstein spring type for the OEM SE suspension? There are a couple of B3 spring types but not sure which is for the SE suspension. Please see link: https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore....F%7C08%2F08%2F

P.S. I installed new Lemforder 27001 01 shock mounts on the front when I got the shocks installed...Would these mounts work perfect with the B4s in terms of comfort?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:40 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

It is my understanding that the only difference between the B4 for standard or sport suspension is the length. The sport struts/shocks are slightly shorter to accommodate the shorter (lower) sport springs.

So if you have sport height stock or equivalent aftermarket springs you'll need the sport shocks/struts and sport bumpstops to match.

I am not familiar with the "SE" models and don't know what springs they come with.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      11-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
I can't offer you anything on springs. I have stuck to OEM even for replacements on an e46t I used to have. Not certain why you want to change springs unless you're going for a different ride height (sport versus non-sport?). It was common on some e46's that rear springs would break after many miles. I haven't heard of that issue on the e9x.

I have put B4's and B6's on our BMWs and even an Infiniti SUV. In every case after initial break in, they are noticeably better than stock in terms of compliance and capacity. They definitely ride better than OEM, and accommodate loads better, too.

Our e91 is LCI with sport and Pilot Sport 4S. Our e90 is LCI with m-sport and Pilot A/S 3+. Of the two, the e90 rides better than the e91 (long, irrelevant story why the e91 has PS4's on it). I have lots of experience with these Michelin models, and the A/S series have the best ride compared to PS 4S or Premier. Our e60 is an LCI sport with B4's and A/S 3's -- beautiful ride set up that way and wife loves driving it. Air pressures are as close to spec as I can get them. My opinion is you have to look at your tires, too, not just the springs and shocks.

Speaking of the Infiniti, it is mostly a tow vehicle for me. I only got about 40k miles out of the B6's before they needed to be replaced. No such longevity issues with Bilstein on our cars.

Hope that helps some with your decision process.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
It is my understanding that the only difference between the B4 for standard or sport suspension is the length. The sport struts/shocks are slightly shorter to accommodate the shorter (lower) sport springs.

So if you have sport height stock or equivalent aftermarket springs you'll need the sport shocks/struts and sport bumpstops to match.

I am not familiar with the "SE" models and don't know what springs they come with.
My car is a SE spec E92 so I really doubt it will have the M-Sport springs...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
I can't offer you anything on springs. I have stuck to OEM even for replacements on an e46t I used to have. Not certain why you want to change springs unless you're going for a different ride height (sport versus non-sport?). It was common on some e46's that rear springs would break after many miles. I haven't heard of that issue on the e9x.

I have put B4's and B6's on our BMWs and even an Infiniti SUV. In every case after initial break in, they are noticeably better than stock in terms of compliance and capacity. They definitely ride better than OEM, and accommodate loads better, too.

Our e91 is LCI with sport and Pilot Sport 4S. Our e90 is LCI with m-sport and Pilot A/S 3+. Of the two, the e90 rides better than the e91 (long, irrelevant story why the e91 has PS4's on it). I have lots of experience with these Michelin models, and the A/S series have the best ride compared to PS 4S or Premier. Our e60 is an LCI sport with B4's and A/S 3's -- beautiful ride set up that way and wife loves driving it. Air pressures are as close to spec as I can get them. My opinion is you have to look at your tires, too, not just the springs and shocks.

Speaking of the Infiniti, it is mostly a tow vehicle for me. I only got about 40k miles out of the B6's before they needed to be replaced. No such longevity issues with Bilstein on our cars.

Hope that helps some with your decision process.
The reason why I am considering changing the front springs as well is because I have already paid £150 labour to get the front shocks and mounts replaced back in the summer. Now, having realised that I should have used the B4s instead of Sachs, it will mean I will now have to pay £150 (or cheaper depending on which garage I use) again to get the B4s installed. So whilst I am at it, I might as well replace the springs because the last thing I want is to just change the shocks now, then a year later as luck plays, one of the front springs break, meaning I will have to pay labour again, but this time for 2x springs replacement.

You mention 'initial break-in', how long is this for new shocks typically speaking?

Yes, the tyres play a big part in the ride as well, however, I have already exceeded my budget for this car hence can't afford expensive tyres... On the contrary, as mentioned in my first post, the rear of the car is a different ride altogether - no thuds, no crashing over potholes, no harshness despite running 19" rims with budget tyres! As long as I can get the front to feel similar like the back, I would be very happy with that and I'm hoping the B4s are the answer to this. I know the ride can be further improved with good tyres but that won't be possible for me at this point...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Break in seems to be between 100 and 200 miles. Especially during the first 100 miles I think the shocks can be a bit stiff.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #7
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Break in seems to be between 100 and 200 miles. Especially during the first 100 miles I think the shocks can be a bit stiff.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #8
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Been doing some more research as the Bilstein wholesalers in the UK have various springs available for the E9x models.

Just for reference, the Bilstein OEM Equivalent springs for the E9x SE trim models is 37-161262 and it is their 'B3' spring.

So, I am inclined to get the front springs replaced with these at the same time as I don't want to be paying labour again and don't trust the original BMW springs as I take it they were made by Sachs for the Pre-LCI and they did a really bad job with the suspension back then, so I'd rather play safe and go for the Bilstein springs alongside the B4 non sport shocks as these 2 items were for the LCI models....hence meaning a better ride.

Any more thoughts / experiences on the B4 non-sport people?

P.S. I am not keen on installing eibach pro springs or stuff like that as I am keen on improving the ride comfort and don't know how the eibach pro springs mated with B4 non-sport shocks would feel..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
aphael
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_solid View Post
Been doing some more research as the Bilstein wholesalers in the UK have various springs available for the E9x models.

Just for reference, the Bilstein OEM Equivalent springs for the E9x SE trim models is 37-161262 and it is their 'B3' spring.

So, I am inclined to get the front springs replaced with these at the same time as I don't want to be paying labour again and don't trust the original BMW springs as I take it they were made by Sachs for the Pre-LCI and they did a really bad job with the suspension back then, so I'd rather play safe and go for the Bilstein springs alongside the B4 non sport shocks as these 2 items were for the LCI models....hence meaning a better ride.

P.S. I am not keen on installing eibach pro springs or stuff like that as I am keen on improving the ride comfort and don't know how the eibach pro springs mated with B4 non-sport shocks would feel..
I had eibach prokit springs with b4 sport shocks and it was meh, the ride quality definitely got worse, and the handling was worse. I would avoid lowering springs like the plague if you get stock shocks, atleast b8 or koni yellows
213e90n51366.50
      12-01-2020, 04:15 AM   #10
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphael View Post
Quote:

I had eibach prokit springs with b4 sport shocks and it was meh, the ride quality definitely got worse, and the handling was worse. I would avoid lowering springs like the plague if you get stock shocks, atleast b8 or koni yellows
I had Eibach Prokits with B4 and it was horrible. Ride height looked great but one bad bump here or there and I'd hear my tire on the fender.

Changed the shocks out to B8 (basically creating B12s) and everything is exactly how I want it. A little firmer, so you got to like a drivers car vs the float.

I've been told by many that Koni's have a better ride than B8s plus the adjustability.

B4s are fine, but I'd stick with OEM springs. I originally had B4s with sports springs, and other than ride height look, had no real complaints.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 06:15 AM   #11
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphael View Post
I agree, especially on my model being a SE spec, it wouldn't make any sense! I will stick to the B3 SE springs and B4 non-sport shocks and play it safe this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I had Eibach Prokits with B4 and it was horrible. Ride height looked great but one bad bump here or there and I'd hear my tire on the fender.

Changed the shocks out to B8 (basically creating B12s) and everything is exactly how I want it. A little firmer, so you got to like a drivers car vs the float.

I've been told by many that Koni's have a better ride than B8s plus the adjustability.

B4s are fine, but I'd stick with OEM springs. I originally had B4s with sports springs, and other than ride height look, had no real complaints.
Yes I agree. I will be sticking to the B3 OEM SE springs and B4 non-sport dampers. Did you have the B4s on e Pre-LCI or LCI model? How was the ride? I take it no crashing/excessively stupid thuds over bumps? What about pothole explosions?

The Konis, B8s etc is a far from real possibility for me given how expensive these kits can get... I am keen on the factory ride tbh...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes I agree. I will be sticking to the B3 OEM SE springs and B4 non-sport dampers. Did you have the B4s on e Pre-LCI or LCI model? How was the ride? I take it no crashing/excessively stupid thuds over bumps? What about pothole explosions?

The Konis, B8s etc is a far from real possibility for me given how expensive these kits can get... I am keen on the factory ride tbh...
Ride on B4s was basically like a stock option so it was fine. This was on an LCI E90.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      12-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #14
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Ride on B4s was basically like a stock option so it was fine. This was on an LCI E90.
Thanks. I have never driven or experienced an LCI E9x so just hoping the B4s will solve these symptoms...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 03:36 PM   #15
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have currently got the Lemforder 27001 01 shock mounts installed on my car, and I understand these mounts were OEM on the LCI, so I don't need to re-replace these, which is a good thing.

The only thing I am slightly concerned about is the bump stops for the fronts. When I got the front shocks replaced back in the summer, I also replaced the bump stops and covers with OEM spec Febi 109326 - for standard suspension SE models.
Are the original BMW SE bump stops good for their purpose on the E9x pre-lci? Do they affect the ride in a bad way? Should I consider replacing them as well with Bilstein bump stops? Or are they ok and I shouldn't worry about them?

The reason I ask is because I have come across a couple of members on here who criticise the original BMW bump stops for both the SE and M-Sport models... Can someone shine some light on this topic?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #16
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Let us know how this goes. Hoping to hear you're happy with your choices. Also, what tires do you have?
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      12-01-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how this goes. Hoping to hear you're happy with your choices. Also, what tires do you have?
Will be keeping this thread updated for sure, I'm hoping I bite the bullet soon as I do need to splash out around £200 for new shocks and springs all in and another £100-130 for labour all in. I can sell my nearly new shocks for some decent money as I even have receipts.

I am keen on doing the front shocks my self however bit skeptical about the spring compressors for 9.99 on eBay and the thought of it popping out as I have never worked with a spring before. Plus I need to purchase a car jack and a decent torque wrench so might be easier to just get it done.

Tyres are budget unfortunately. I can't really afford decent make tyres especially R19s...these are really expensive for a decent make.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #18
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I can tell you that SE springs usually are "barely compressed" by the standard widow-makers (see attached pics). I've found luck with using a combination of the very specific McPhersons strut compressors with the angled forks that follow the contour of the springs + the black standard ones. It just barely came off the top mount.

I ended up using a wall-mount to make sure it was safer. Be careful, and if it doesnt look like the spring is compressed enough to relieve the tension on the perch, don't take a chance. With my current setup of B8 and Eibachs, the compressors work much more effectively.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ppointer743.00
      12-02-2020, 05:15 AM   #19
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can tell you that SE springs usually are "barely compressed" by the standard widow-makers (see attached pics). I've found luck with using a combination of the very specific McPhersons strut compressors with the angled forks that follow the contour of the springs + the black standard ones. It just barely came off the top mount.

I ended up using a wall-mount to make sure it was safer. Be careful, and if it doesnt look like the spring is compressed enough to relieve the tension on the perch, don't take a chance. With my current setup of B8 and Eibachs, the compressors work much more effectively.
Thanks for the advice. Tbh I am inclined to just get it done by the garage...But not fully decided yet.
Appreciate 1
213e90n51366.50
      12-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #20
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
BRO BRO. I had the EXACT SAME setup as you. B4 with 19 inch wheels 235 35 265 30. I am nonsport suspension also and it was hella harsh. I would feel a crash and sometimes it be so bumpy that driving anything else would be comfy LOL. It is planted on corners and my heavy 19 inches helped out with that. I had 110,000 miles on the springs at that point. Then replaced my 19s with OEM 18s BBS. WOrlds different. I was also tracking and Autox the car by now. B4s with nonsport springs M3 control arms. 225 40 r19 255 35 r18. But THEN I went even LOWER. A 17 inch wheel LOL. Apex Arc 8. They are like 18 pounds I think. 17 inch wheels with 255 40 r17 square all around. Same suspension still BTW and it is comfy asfk even with 200 trdwear tires! OH and original shock mounts 140,000 miles. Come by and test drive it if u want.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #21
bmw_solid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
BRO BRO. I had the EXACT SAME setup as you. B4 with 19 inch wheels 235 35 265 30. I am nonsport suspension also and it was hella harsh. I would feel a crash and sometimes it be so bumpy that driving anything else would be comfy LOL. It is planted on corners and my heavy 19 inches helped out with that. I had 110,000 miles on the springs at that point. Then replaced my 19s with OEM 18s BBS. WOrlds different. I was also tracking and Autox the car by now. B4s with nonsport springs M3 control arms. 225 40 r19 255 35 r18. But THEN I went even LOWER. A 17 inch wheel LOL. Apex Arc 8. They are like 18 pounds I think. 17 inch wheels with 255 40 r17 square all around. Same suspension still BTW and it is comfy asfk even with 200 trdwear tires! OH and original shock mounts 140,000 miles. Come by and test drive it if u want.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are the first member I have come across who feels the B4 non sport is not good enough and doesn't stop the crashing over bumps!!

May be you had some bad shock mounts or your shocks were worn out or you had bad suspensions arms (which can also cause thuds etc)...

The B4s were manufactured for the LCI E9x and the LCI model had a much much more improved ride...significantly reduced silly thuds and crashing over bumps... So the B4 has to improve my ride, in all honestly LOL.

The SACHS shocks on my car at the moment were designed for pre-LCI and they did a bad job. There are many owners like me and you who complain about the crashy ride and thuds, however LCI owners don't experience these symptoms from what I have seen on here and other forums..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:32 PM   #22
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are the first member I have come across who feels the B4 non sport is not good enough and doesn't stop the crashing over bumps!!

May be you had some bad shock mounts or your shocks were worn out or you had bad suspensions arms (which can also cause thuds etc)...

The B4s were manufactured for the LCI E9x and the LCI model had a much much more improved ride...significantly reduced silly thuds and crashing over bumps... So the B4 has to improve my ride, in all honestly LOL.

The SACHS on my car at the moment were designed for pre-LCI and they did a bad job. There are many owners like me and you who complain about the crashy ride and thuds, however LCI owners don't experience these symptoms from what I have seen on here and other forums..
Well the ride was bad cuz of the 19 inches. It has gotten much better with 17 inch wheels. It is very comfy on the highway tho. Still its a bit stiff but its fine for me. I feel everything on the road and handling is superb. Even my driving instructor praised how a sedan like this can handle and feel great. My B4 shocks are 20,000 miles old now and my mounts and springs are 140,000 now
Appreciate 0