E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2007 e92 N51 Cylinder 6 Misfire Code (P0306)

06-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 Sprt; 2019 X5 MSprt

2007 e92 N51 Cylinder 6 Misfire Code (P0306)

Hoping someone might be able to help me out here... I'm getting a cylinder 6 misfire error code on my 07 e92 N51 with 155k miles. It's a SULEV car in a SULEV state but unfortunately it's over the 150k warranty. The error code only occurs when I initially start the car in the morning or with very spirited driving. I erase the code each day after initial start and then it always reappears the next day (or again, after spiriting driving). It's also the only code I get. I swapped coils and changed the spark plugs and the error stayed with cylinder six. So I took the car to the stealership (in hopes of getting any repairs through the SULEV warranty somehow) - after digging around they believe it to be the exhaust lifters that are sticking at cold start - a very expensive (most of it labor) job for a car with 155k miles. So I put in some Marvel Mystery oil without any luck. I then tried the Liqui Moly products - engine flush, lifter stuff and Ceratec. No change (figure all worth a try considering the cost vs. the alternative).

So then I went to a reputable BMW specific independent shop for another opinion. They did the usual tests just like the stealership - started with swapping coils, then plugs, then compression test but were ultimately perplexed by the issue. Though they didn't believe it to be a lifter issue and suspected that its more of a fuel delivery issue. However, they didn't know definitively (after visually looking at the fuel pump) either way and figured the only way to solve the issue was to start throwing parts at it, which they didn't want to do given the uncertainty of the fix. Of note, the car also had a fuel pump replacement done about four years ago under the previous owner at some mom and pop shop.

I planned on keeping the car (as I do most of my own maintenance and take care of it) but this problem is getting quite annoying. I can still drive it but the CEL comes up with spirited driving, so if that's gonna be the case I'd rather dump it. Unfortunately I can only trade it in to a dealer at this point at a deep discount. Any thoughts on what could be causing the misfire code? Any help is much appreciated. I guess I could tackle the lifter replacement on my own but its quite a job (requiring specific tools) and not guaranteed to fix the issue.

Last edited by TW516; 06-27-2019 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #2
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

What were the results of the compression test? This does sound annoying, hope you figure it out...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep

compression was 210 psi in cylinder 6. They also swapped injectors and obviously no notable change/issue. Thanks, yeah, pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
mastarron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive M Sport e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW516 View Post
compression was 210 psi in cylinder 6. They also swapped injectors and obviously no notable change/issue. Thanks, yeah, pretty annoying.
Can you post the part numbers for the coils and plugs that were used?

What software are you using to run the codes?

Im asking because there are a number of documented cases for bad plugs/coils even when new.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #6
Valley1fe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i

Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm experiencing somewhat the same issue. My 2007 E90 328i is now around 230K miles and I recently got new coil packs and spark plugs for the car. Everything was running fine until a few days ago. The issue came out of nowhere, I merely started the car after picking up food and the misfire was present. Since then, I've swapped coilpacks, sparkplugs and even injectors but the misfire is still present on cylinder 6. I reset adaptations, cleared the codes, and still the same issue. My battery was also going out so we replaced that, and registered it and still the same issue. Has anyone experienced this same issue? I'm worried it could be a failty DME. I even purchased a spark plug tester and verified coilpack 6 is functioning correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley1fe View Post
Sorry to bring this thread back to life but I'm experiencing somewhat the same issue. My 2007 E90 328i is now around 230K miles and I recently got new coil packs and spark plugs for the car. Everything was running fine until a few days ago. The issue came out of nowhere, I merely started the car after picking up food and the misfire was present. Since then, I've swapped coilpacks, sparkplugs and even injectors but the misfire is still present on cylinder 6. I reset adaptations, cleared the codes, and still the same issue. My battery was also going out so we replaced that, and registered it and still the same issue. Has anyone experienced this same issue? I'm worried it could be a failty DME. I even purchased a spark plug tester and verified coilpack 6 is functioning correctly.
So everything was fine before you replaced the coil packs and plugs? If you put the old ones back in does the issue return?

I haven't been able to resolve the issue on my car. I even tried this:

Though different injectors on my N51, but tried it anyway - no luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 03:15 AM   #8
Valley1fe
Registered
Rep

I had the new coil packs and plugs in for about 4 months now with no issues up until a week ago. I’m going to do a compression test next to see if the valves may be the issue. Hoping it’s a short in the harness or a vacuum leak possibly rather than it being the motor...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
Valley1fe
Registered
Rep

Did a compression test today and verified we had compression in the cylinder. When I plugged the plug though, I saw the spark plug bent. We decided to then check the DISA sensor and sure enough, the flap was broken. We ended up taking off the intake manifold and found the flap lodged in the intake manifold port for cylinder 6! We were able to take some of the pieces out holding the flap as well. Going to order both DISA sensors, (there is also a smaller secondary one on the manifold as well, since you’re in there go ahead and change it) and replace the intake manifold gaskets as well. The crank case ventilation hose did break but that usually is something that needs to be replaced per TSB. Going to order the parts and go from there. Hope this helps you man!
Appreciate 1
TW51619.00
      11-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #10
TW516
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley1fe View Post
Did a compression test today and verified we had compression in the cylinder. When I plugged the plug though, I saw the spark plug bent. We decided to then check the DISA sensor and sure enough, the flap was broken. We ended up taking off the intake manifold and found the flap lodged in the intake manifold port for cylinder 6! We were able to take some of the pieces out holding the flap as well. Going to order both DISA sensors, (there is also a smaller secondary one on the manifold as well, since you're in there go ahead and change it) and replace the intake manifold gaskets as well. The crank case ventilation hose did break but that usually is something that needs to be replaced per TSB. Going to order the parts and go from there. Hope this helps you man!
Wow, so do you have the N51 (three stage DISA) as well? That's pretty impressive that you were able to figure it out. I'm certainly going to explore this as the cause to my misfire. Was gonna start throwing more SeaFoam at it this week to try and clear out any gunk that's potentially causing the issue but SeaFoam can only do so much. Hahaha. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #11
Valley1fe
Registered
Rep

Exclamation

Replacing both DISA sensors and cleaned the intake manifold did the trick. Car runs perfect now. Since I was in there, I ended up replacing all the gaskets for the IM as well. At 155K, there could be a high probability that the plastic has fatigued. My larger DISA flap must have broken sometime ago and it finally got lodged into cylinder 6 causing uneven air fuel ratio to cause the misfire. This is exactly what happened to me. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
TW51619.00