E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Sirius Activation Question

04-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Sirius Activation Question

I installed the Sirius retrofit and had it coded today. It should give a promo code for me to activate it for a year, right? How does that normally work? I did not receive a code when I bought it from Tischer and I called Sirius and gave them the Radio EIN, but they said they need a promo code.

Thanks!

Last edited by nogard13; 04-23-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
nycport
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335xi

If I remember correctly only Sat. Radios that are FACTORY INSTALLED come with a free year.
I would give Sirius a call and play dumb. Call them and tell them you just had Sat. installed and you want to sign up for your free year of service. See what they say.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycport View Post
If I remember correctly only Sat. Radios that are FACTORY INSTALLED come with a free year.
I would give Sirius a call and play dumb. Call them and tell them you just had Sat. installed and you want to sign up for your free year of service. See what they say.
I did that. They say that their system only shows 1 month free, not 12. The only reason I purchased this from Tischer was because it included a 12-month subscription (clearly stated on their website when I looked up the part).

I called them and they said they have to wait until MONDAY for BMW Parts Supplier to open (guess they close at 4pm on Fridays) and that they will call me back and let me know what BMW says.

There have been others here who have retrofit their Sirius themselves, but none of the threads talk about how they got their 1 year free.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What a PITA!

So, after calling the Sirius number that shows on the radio for activation 3 times (and getting two reps to say that I had no free service on the radio and one saying I had only one month), I finally got it to work. After I got tired of my calls going overseas (the first call was from India, the second from Russia, and I couldn't make out the third guy's accent, but he could've been Indian), I decided that I wanted to speak to someone in their native language (since I'm Hispanic and Spanish is actually my first/primary language, I hit 2 for the Spanish option). The nice Dominican man that I spoke to said that he could only see the 1 month free but that I should call the DEALERSHIP SUPPORT number (866-345-7474) and they might be able to assist me. He also said that in 5 years of working there he had never heard of a radio coming with 12 months of service included (weird, huh?).

As instructed, I dialed the number and got connected to an American (who's first language is English and I could actually understand her). After explaining everything I've already posted, plus telling her that three dealerships I have called all confirmed the 12-month subscription included with the part number, she asked me for my SID. As soon as she entered it, it showed the 12-month free plan and I was able to activate it. When I asked why it worked for her and not the other four times I had called, she said that they had entered the wrong "promo code" (I didn't get a chance to ask what promo code she entered). I set up my account and before I could get her name (and the promo code she used so I could post it here), my cell phone dropped the call (Damn you AT&T service on my iPhone!). It did activate, tho, and I'm up and running with my new Sirius service.

Hope this bit of info will stick around and help any other E90 retrofitter if they encounter the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
rmklaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW i4 eDrive 40 M Sport

I just had the Sirius retrofit done by the dealer in my 2010 E93. Sirius did not ask me for any codes. They activated the radio and in my account it shows one year service.

2022 i4 eDrive40 M Sport Package, Tanzanite Blue II Metallic with Tacora Red Vernasca Leather, Premium, Parking Assistant Plus, Dynamic Handling, Shadowline, packages, HUD, Ion Adaptive LED w/Laserlight, Iconic Sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #6
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmklaw View Post
I just had the Sirius retrofit done by the dealer in my 2010 E93. Sirius did not ask me for any codes. They activated the radio and in my account it shows one year service.
Did you activate it or did the dealership do it? What number did you call? Did you call the number that is displayed on the screen?

I got an email from Tischer this morning telling me that the instructions on how the DEALER is to activate the Sirius service is "in parts bulletin number 65 02 05." I guess the dealership was supposed to activate it before they gave the car back to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
rmklaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW i4 eDrive 40 M Sport

I activated it myself calling the number displayed on the screen. After it was activated, I went to my online account and it showed a one year subscription.

2022 i4 eDrive40 M Sport Package, Tanzanite Blue II Metallic with Tacora Red Vernasca Leather, Premium, Parking Assistant Plus, Dynamic Handling, Shadowline, packages, HUD, Ion Adaptive LED w/Laserlight, Iconic Sounds.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
SAMIAM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive

Sirius Activation Question - Solved

I experienced the same problem as others here. I bought the Sirius module for my E46 and when I called to activate, they plugged in the ESN and said there was no such free year, and forced me to fork over a credit card.

A second call, the woman insisted if I had no promo code there was nothing she could do.

Finally, two weeks later I got someone in Customer Care (1-888-539-7474) who put me on hold for a good while and came back to say they had found the offer. They activated it and refunded the unused portion of my paid year.

Essentially, they said that the offer does not appear for the "front line" phone people, and that they have to consult a supervisor with better privileges to locate it.

So, be nice, patient and persistent, ask to talk to a supervisor who should be able to locate the right code.
Appreciate 0