E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked BMW Alloy Wheels --- Taking legal action

10-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #639
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Would it be pointless to do the run out test if there was evidence of kerbing? The previous owner of my car wasn't exactly careful when it came to kerbs. Despite me having non RFT and avoiding pot holes I have now have a cracked wheel. They offered to do the test but if they turn around and say 'well, it's been kerbed, not eligible', that's £30 down the drain.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #640
ErdoDog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 318i SE

Garage List
I've got a E90 on standard 16" wheels which I want to change for bigger ones. I've been looking at used OEM wheels, but this thread makes me think I may be better looking at aftermarket wheels over OEM ones that will most likely get me free membership to the cracked wheel club.

I'm thinking it would give the dealers more reason to refuse a claim for a cracked wheel if the wheels weren't on the car when it was purchased?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #641
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

AUC doesn't cover alloys according to my local dealer and the AUC website. I just got mine welded for £60 (including fitting a new tyre) as the original runflat was shredded due to happening on the motorway.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #642
Precision Engineered
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M sport

A few weeks later and mine appears to have cracked again. Got the offending pothole on dashcam this time so will see how I get on with local council / highways agency paying for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #643
Tobyclassic
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 325i e92

Just wanted to give you my perspective as I'm a council highways inspector and I have dealt with many claims for potholes over the years.

If you hit a pothole and it pops your tyre or cracks a wheel make sure you get proper photos of it with a measurement clearly shown as soon as possible (as some councils are quick to fill them) and please bare in mind that if its not at least 40mm deep then your claim is unlikely to be paid out.
You will most likely need to fill out a claim form and being as clear as possible is always best.

The problem you might find is that if your council has an inspector like me visiting the road and inspecting it every year, 3 months or monthly, depending on the traffic flow, they can then say that "at the time of the inspection there were no actionable defects" and most courts will see this as doing enough to minimise danger to the public and will probably not pay out.

If anyone has any questions then drop me a pm, always happy to help.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #644
CTSuperfly335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by contractor View Post
I thought the cracking was due to the stiff sidewalls of the RFT transferring the energy of the car hitting bumps straight through to the alloy wheels? With that in mind, putting non RFT on the car would mean that the tyre dissipates the energy better, protecting the wheels.

Has anyone heard of people with non RFTs having cracked alloys? I haven't but am interested to find out.
Yes, 2010 335i W/pilot SS (Non-RF), only 34000 miles, just found I have a crack on rear wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #645
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

But of course the wheels aren't poorly designed. It must all be the drivers fault...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #646
recci
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I have a 07 330i m-sport saloon with the common MV3 wheels. One of them cracked so I had it repaired but it looks like its gone again. The other rear wheel might also be cracked as it doesn’t hold air for more than a few days. I know most of the BMW wheels from this era had a reputation for cracking but did they ever solve the problem a release decent rims for these cars?

If so which are they?

If not can anybody recommend decent alloys that don’t cost the earth and look good on an e90 330i 4 door? I’m sick of these alloys!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #647
Smasher
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 330d Msport Highline auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by recci View Post
I have a 07 330i m-sport saloon with the common MV3 wheels. One of them cracked so I had it repaired but it looks like its gone again. The other rear wheel might also be cracked as it doesn’t hold air for more than a few days. I know most of the BMW wheels from this era had a reputation for cracking but did they ever solve the problem a release decent rims for these cars?

If so which are they?

If not can anybody recommend decent alloys that don’t cost the earth and look good on an e90 330i 4 door? I’m sick of these alloys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by recci View Post
I have a 07 330i m-sport saloon with the common MV3 wheels. One of them cracked so I had it repaired but it looks like its gone again. The other rear wheel might also be cracked as it doesn't hold air for more than a few days. I know most of the BMW wheels from this era had a reputation for cracking but did they ever solve the problem a release decent rims for these cars?

If so which are they?

If not can anybody recommend decent alloys that don't cost the earth and look good on an e90 330i 4 door? I'm sick of these alloys!
I'm in the same boat I have a 2009 e93 330d m sport 3rd time It's cracked I want to get some new rims I've seen a set of refurbished m3 rims could I put the same tyres on them even though the rears are smaller ? It's there going to be a problem with offset and being staggered?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #648
mazen1
Registered
Rep
Drives: e93

Nice work, I have two rear cracked wheels one has 4 cracks and the other 3 cracks. had to replace all wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #649
smuudge2020
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M convertible

I’m now on my 5th weld on a 19” 313 rear alloy. Absolute joke, wouldn’t have bought the car if knew how problematic these wheels are. Can anyone confirm if 400m style 4 series M sport wheels fair any better and if they will fit a 2011 325 M sport?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #650
Smasher
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 330d Msport Highline auto

I had the 19" MV3 alloys after buying replacement 2nd hand ones twice and welding them 4 times (always the rear) i ended up buying aftermarket ones, i was told by this guys that owned a tire shop near me for 30 years that BMW outsourced these to India, apparently as Magnesium is expensive the Indian company put in less magnesium than the German spec and hence the issues. dont know how true this is,.

the run flats defiantly affect it i have removed my run flats now and have a space saver spare in the boot
Appreciate 0