E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Chicagoland Alignment

03-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Chicagoland Alignment

Spring is almost here and I've got new tires mounted on my 18's, so I'm looking to have the car aligned. I searched the forum for suggestions, and saw a few recommendations such as Thalmann's, Magic Auto, or dealership.

Dealership is pretty much out of the question due to unreasonable pricing and (at least in my experience) poor workmanship. I'm thinking of making an appointment at Thalmann's but I'm open to other ideas... Does anyone have updated suggestions about where to get a proper BMW alignment (with the corner balancing and all that)?

My car is stock sport package ride height and I'm looking for factory alignment settings, with the small exception of zero toe up front. Thanks in advance everybody
      03-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by max_330i View Post
Spring is almost here and I've got new tires mounted on my 18's, so I'm looking to have the car aligned. I searched the forum for suggestions, and saw a few recommendations such as Thalmann's, Magic Auto, or dealership.

Dealership is pretty much out of the question due to unreasonable pricing and (at least in my experience) poor workmanship. I'm thinking of making an appointment at Thalmann's but I'm open to other ideas... Does anyone have updated suggestions about where to get a proper BMW alignment (with the corner balancing and all that)?

My car is stock sport package ride height and I'm looking for factory alignment settings, with the small exception of zero toe up front. Thanks in advance everybody
You can't corner balance a car without coilovers.

I used Advanced Auto Repair in Palatine after reading A&L uses them.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
You can't corner balance a car without coilovers.

I used Advanced Auto Repair in Palatine after reading A&L uses them.
Sorry for asking a silly question then. I have had numerous cars and had them all aligned, but somebody told me there was a special procedure for BMW... although that may have been false information.

Palatine is a bit of a drive away from me. No issues since your alignment there? I guess I don't care where I have to go as long as I don't have to make any return trips
      03-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

What is your location?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
What is your location?
North Suburbs-- Thalmann's is around the corner from me
      03-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
GATORB8
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Sorry for asking a silly question then. I have had numerous cars and had them all aligned, but somebody told me there was a special procedure for BMW... although that may have been false information.

Palatine is a bit of a drive away from me. No issues since your alignment there? I guess I don't care where I have to go as long as I don't have to make any return trips
Not a silly question, alignment is one of those procedures that is thought to be complicated because of the equipment and mystery. If you look at a video or walk through of the process, there's really not all that much going on.

Realistically, either the shop does it right and gets it in spec, or they don't. They should give you a printout sheet confirming the final measurements are all green. If you were looking for corner balancing or a track alignment, the shop experience would be more important.
Appreciate 1
max_330i340.00
      03-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Well, I am planning to give this shop a try later this month for a full alignment and corner balance once the turbo project is finished by next week (stay tuned on that btw)

https://www.apmtuned.com/

Will report back
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50
max_330i340.00
      03-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
North Suburbs-- Thalmann's is around the corner from me
No idea why this shop is so highly recommended here. They can't even do corner balance...

Last time I was there, they couldn't even get my car to track straight on the highway. Guys at the Firestone can do a better job than them...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
No idea why this shop is so highly recommended here. They can't even do corner balance...

Last time I was there, they couldn't even get my car to track straight on the highway. Guys at the Firestone can do a better job than them...
It's because back when e90post started few people were very vocal about A-Spec for repairs and upgrades, A&L for body work and Thalmann for alignment. Probably you have heard me say that these guys had their umbilical cords cut at these shops. Either that or were getting kick backs. Those that have been on this forum for a while know exactly who these forum members are. Most have moved on to other platforms but the old threads shows in search and a lot of people were easily influenced by them. Sorry for your poor experience at Thalmann's. I can see you going there because you live on the north side. But someone coming from let say Bolingbrook? It's 1h away on a good day with out traffic. That is silly because like said, the job is mediocre at best and in metropolitan area of Chicago with 9.5 million people chances are that they are hundreds of shop that can do the same job, probably better and quiet possibly cheaper too. Our friend Vasil Lalov went to Zima for aliment and I think is very good since he shaved 3-4 seconds on average. Since the owner races too, I assume that they know what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
It's because back when e90post started few people were very vocal about A-Spec for repairs and upgrades, A&L for body work and Thalmann for alignment. Probably you have heard me say that these guys had their umbilical cords cut at these shops. Either that or were getting kick backs. Those that have been on this forum for a while know exactly who these forum members are. Most have moved on to other platforms but the old threads shows in search and a lot of people were easily influenced by them. Sorry for your poor experience at Thalmann's. I can see you going there because you live on the north side. But someone coming from let say Bolingbrook? It's 1h away on a good day with out traffic. That is silly because like said, the job is mediocre at best and in metropolitan area of Chicago with 9.5 million people chances are that they are hundreds of shop that can do the same job, probably better and quiet possibly cheaper too. Our friend Vasil Lalov went to Zima for aliment and I think is very good since he shaved 3-4 seconds on average. Since the owner races too, I assume that they know what they are doing.
did I mention Thalmann only takes cash? seriously, it is 2018 and they run a "race" shop, not a food truck...
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      03-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #11
gulshan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92-n54

Over the years I have got mine done at
http://schaumburgautomedics.com/

and the Firestone in Lemont. (not any other firestone..just this one)

Both are good but I finally just took the firestone lifetime alignment deal last year
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50