E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

04-25-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Talking Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

So the last few days have been really hectic for me. I have managed to do a few major mods to my car.

Some bad news first. You will see some pictures below of a front splitter fitted to my car and some without. The reason why i took it off was that a piece of it just ripped off when i was doing 80mph on the M1 today. It was only on for about a week!!! I guess that shows you the quality of a certain shop’s products. I will be contacting them for a full or part refund. I will refrain from naming and shaming until they have had the opportunity to resolve this. It is a real shame as i really liked the splitter.

Anyways on to the good stuff. So i recently decided to change my wheels, i wanted more of a CSL type look. I browsed online and instantly fell in love with the Ispiri ISR10 wheels that CM Wheels offer. I wasn’t sure on the colour though. My car is SGM. I though black would look too aggressive, matt graphite would look the same as the car, which left silver. It looked a bit bright in the photos, but to be honest i was in love with the design to care that much. The concave is ridiculous on the rear. Might also try and get some BMW centre caps, the standard ones won't fit but Chris did say some people managed to do it.

Mind the dirty car pics, has been to Scotland and back and no time for a wash!

The silver probably won’t be to everyone’s taste, they definitely look a lot more shiny in the photos. In person the shine is a sort of dark shine if that makes sense. I absolutely love these wheels, but half of my mind says refurb in a year or two to a different colour perhaps... really 50/50 for me.

Chris at CM Wheels gave me a competitive price and service was excellent as usual! Highly recommended!

Before i got the wheels on i did another mod. Up to now handling wise i have put Ohlins coilovers on and non RFT PSS tyres. Power wise nothing, completely stock.

I wanted to start increasing the stock power of the 335D and really unleashing the monster within. To do that i had to achieve very high power gains but i was concerned/confused about the different ways to get there. I was also concerned about the transmission as it’s rated at 700NM. I knew i had to get a DPF delete and remap to achieve around 350-380bhp, and i would have probably been happy with that....and richer.

So early on i decided that whatever i do, i wanted to get a DPF replacement pipe, and the pipe that Stan from Ecotune has looked great. I am not too concerned about MOT time as i am reading about people with this pipe passing the MOT. Also on my last MOT the tester wrote an advisory stating that the DPF was covered by an engine cover, which is correct. All of this pipe is covered. I also thought a consistent diameter pipe would be a lot better for consistency in pressure, as i’m sure a big hollow box (when gutting the DPF) will cause some pressure variances.

But then something happened that has caused me to spend a lot of money. I saw the Ecotune Stage 3 package on their website, and the dyno graph on the highest power Ecotune has ever got was 416.9bhp and 602.5ft.lbs. The package includes 2 Turbo Dynamics hybrid turbos, DPF delete pipe with a Sports Cat (to help with smell and emissions), Wagner intercooler and a custom remap.

This immediately grabbed my attention and i spent the next few weeks reading up tons of threads. In the end i decided that i will take the risk of running this high power and put my trust in Stan, as he has designed this whole package together, i.e the remap has been designed, tested, retested on these hardware upgrades.

So i then booked myself in with Stan for the Stage 3 upgrade
I also had a few other bits and pieces done: PMW Swirl flap blanks, EGR delete and breather valve change. An oil/coolant change came with the package.

I decided quite early on that considering the level of investment, it would be worth travelling to Glasgow and staying a night up there while the people who designed the stuff can also fit it. So that’s what i did.

The journey up there was very nice, especially after Lockerbie. The scenery was beautiful.

Got there for 9.30am and met the staff. They were all very helpful and made me feel at home straight away. My check in was at 3pm so i waited until then and Stan very kindly offered to drop me off to my hotel, even though he was extremely busy with meetings. I found this very surprising and goes to show how Ecotune go the extra mile.

So the first pic here is Alfie. He kept me company whilst i was there and was a really friendly dog. I had first row seats and from the sofa i could see directly under the car!

The new hybrid turbos!!!

Old stock 335D intercooler:

Wagner Intercooler:

DPF and DPF delete pipe with sports cat:

I think the following pics are first the stock large turbo, and then the hybrid one:

The guys mentioned how clean my engine was, which was a nice suprise!

Small turbo area:

Taken off:

Hybrid one:

Stock swirl flaps, which btw Stan said some were leaking so good job!

PMW swirl blanks:

Fitted:

Hardware all done. Took about a day and a half of hard labour. I could see everything they were doing and even went out a couple of times to have a chat with the lads.

So now all the hardware and bits and bobs were done. I was buzzing and hoping that my car would make 400bhp, as after all of that investment it would be a shame if it didn’t! But Stan said he hasn’t done one that hasn’t so gave me some confidence!

Car ready and eagerly awaiting to go on the Dyno for the first stock run.

We didn’t do a run completely stock as it would have caused the job to take even longer, as a dyno run isn’t that quick and things need to be cooled down before stripping etc. So the stock result is basically completely stock software, but hardware all upgraded. Stan told me usually less than stock (286bhp), but it varies car by car. We were expecting 260-280bhp. First run done and it produced 316.4bhp 482.4ft.lbs!

At this time Stan came to me and said it was the highest ever he has had on a Stage 3, and the amount of low end torque was very high compared to other stage 3s he has done. I was buzzing again, and i could tell Stan was too, he mentioned it may break the record of 416.9bhp. This got me really nervous.

I then sat down and Stan spent a while doing runs and working on the calibration. Then he came in and handed me the print out. My car got 422.7bhp and 618.1ft.lbs!!!! He even said on one of the runs the low down torque was too high so that had to be turned down a touch. I couldn’t believe it, my car now has the record at Ecotune

But it gets even better than that. Not only my car achieved better peak power, the curve was also a lot more impressive. Below was the record previously:

This is mine:

A couple of points.

At 1.5k rpm the previous record got 355-360ft.lbs and about 100bhp. Mine is 500ft.lbs and about 140-145bhp at 1500rpm.

You can also see how the bhp of mine from 3.5k rpm stays above 400bhp even past 4.5k rpm, great for the track i suspect. The previous gets below 400bhp at around 4.3k. And it really does pull hard all the way to the end!

For an additional charge Stan provided me with a handheld touchscreen flash device called the iFlash:

It has been loaded with 3 maps. First is the max power map above. Then there’s an Eco map (roughly 350bhp), and then a “valet” mode which is stock power (290bhp). It is very easy to use and you can swap the maps whenever you want, just have to plug it into the OBD port. It also reads codes, and in a future update, will show engine parameters. Also the absolute original file before anything was done is on there as well. Plan is to use the Eco map for driving to work and the performance one all the rest of the time!

So, was it worth it?

Stan took it for a quick test drive after the run with me in the passenger seat. Even pulling out of the car park i could feel how much more grunt it had. Then he put his foot down. Fuck me!! My body immediately stiffened up and i was slammed against my seat. What the hell was happening?? I admit i was a bit scared at that point! This is probably going to sound over dramatic but it felt like i was flying, and when i got out of the car it was like coming back to Earth

It was pretty dry at the time, but you could feel the rear was much more lively in the first 3 gears. Then he stopped and said you drive by yourself, and obviously i took him up on that!

I drove around the local roads for a good 10 minutes, which are perfect for this. Long long straights and 90 degree bends. First time i put my foot down i was amazed. It just pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls all the way to the top of the rev range, which is to be expected looking at the dyno print out. I said to Stan it reminded me of someone taming a bull. You really do need to control the throttle to manage traction! I could also feel the rear really could do with stiffer subframe bushes, maybe solid aluminium, and definitely and LSD! But my god she is an absolute crazy monster! Feels like i’m in a plane and i am not exaggerating!

Stan was also impressed with how it felt and likened it to a Stage 3 Golf R.
I went sleep that night and woke up thinking did all of that really happen or was it a dream?

On the motorway it is a beast. It was raining hard when i left Glasgow so i didn’t want to risk anything seeing how different the car is, and i was nowhere near used to it. However i did manage to flash the DTC light at 90mph in 4th gear in the rain. Also, the acceleration from 70mph-100 (didn’t want to risk anything going past that) is brutal (running out of adjectives here).

The exhaust noise is much better at idle, and gets a bit louder when you give it some. Not very loud so it’s still civil. When i boot it, there are puffs of smoke that come out, but i was expecting that after seeing countless of youtube videos. There’s also a bit of turbo whistle, not a lot as i still have all the back boxes in place. Also, quite surprisingly, the engine sounds a lot deeper and louder when giving it some. Did not expect this!

I would love to race an M3 now. The guys at Ecotune said i would blow them out of the water, but i will have to see that with my own eyes.

Will definitely need to take it to a track now. It has become a truly dangerous machine on roads now. Insurance has also gone up, but i expected that. BMW warranty will be cancelled soon! I have probably taken a calculated risk with this mod. It gives me a bit of peace and mind that all the ones he has done are still up and running, so fingers crossed!

I also achieved 48.7mpg from Sheffield to Northampton. From Northampton to Sheffield on the way there i got 42mpg. Both times i was cruising at 70mph or 50mph. And that's on the Power map, will be interesting to see what it's like on the Eco map. I will also do some 0-60, 50-100 times using the torque app. Stock power really feels slow now.

Just want to say the service i received at Ecotune was second to none. Everyone made me feel at home and catered for all my needs, and took their time when i asked anything i wasn’t sure on. I am really happy with what they have done to my car. I just hope i don't lose my license.

Last edited by mob17; 09-07-2016 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 6
rk70.00
      04-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

That's a lot of power(and money)

It will be interesting to see how it really goes, but that is a lot of power and torque.

Hopefully it works out well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr
That's a lot of power(and money)

It will be interesting to see how it really goes, but that is a lot of power and torque.

Hopefully it works out well.
Thanks Kerr.

It is a lot of money no doubt. But for me it is worth every penny for the feeling i get. Got tons of low down and high up torque, and the way the bhp stays above 400 pretty flat is very nice. I think i'll be pretty good versus a lot of cars, but next step has to be to improve traction!

I will keep this updated with any niggles i may have. I expect wear and tear items to finish quicker, but hopefully the big bits stay intact!

Forgot to mention rears are 10j now so may try upping tyre size to 285 or 295.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
Rudz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335D xDrive Shadow Edition

Oh my word, u've taken the car to a whole new level mate, that is a staggering amount of power ur car is putting out, considering the quality of the hardware that has been put in, the cost of the package with install included seems really reasonable? Are u planning on tracking it now? An LSD is a must now 😀😀better stopping power needed too, perhaps a big brake kit? Lol u can't stop now that u've started
      04-26-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

That's fucking mad.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:13 AM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Stabs the man he's good the stuff I git from him many moons ago was good transformed my old 330d, but Christ yours is in a different leaguethat cars gonna feel epic out on the road re M3's yer right you'll murder them in std spec the torque you've got is as you've stated by using the letters e.m.k.u.f and c to describe the arse dyno reaction is off the scale. Good preventive stuff done by removing the swirls it's a wise choice and also helps aswell as the car will be even if unfettled be a wise move for longevity and also throttle response all of which help

Bloody epic this for a diesel, wheels look sweet bad news re the splitter though
      04-26-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

Wow that's one hell of a machine! I wish I bought Ashleys one.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #8
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Mo
We were chatting throughout ..... This is purely insane!!! I love it. What a beast mode this car is now. remind me to move to the hard shoulder if I ever see you on the motorway lolll.

'Maaauve bitch get out the way'

It'll be v interesting to have a 3 month review and see how you and the car is getting on. How it's handling itself etc.

you'll be saying bye byes to a lot of other cars on the road not just M3s. ... take your pick now

Wheels looks dope as and u definitely need to call that company up and get a refund. I never liked them what with all the bad reviews people gave them.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:07 AM   #9
tomwh85
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 335d

you'll definitely blow an m3 mate, I had a play with a C63 coupe and was glued to his bumper and you have 50bhp/40lbt more than me.

You'll definitely need to get a lsd now. That's my next mod, I'd like to compare mine with yours just to see the difference between the power.

Nice work pal.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Sounds incredible Mo, you really treated yourself! Shame about the splitter, but to be honest by the time I was reading the Ecotune bit I had completely forgotten about it! Great write up, I was gripped. Would love a ride in your car to see how it compares to a simple remap...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #11
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Dammnnnn what a beast! Go on Mo! Enjoy my friend!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #12
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
Oh my word, u've taken the car to a whole new level mate, that is a staggering amount of power ur car is putting out, considering the quality of the hardware that has been put in, the cost of the package with install included seems really reasonable? Are u planning on tracking it now? An LSD is a must now 😀😀better stopping power needed too, perhaps a big brake kit? Lol u can't stop now that u've started
Yes Rudz, when i worked it out the package price is quite reasonable. If you calculate the costs of the parts separately (and assume the custom remap is £450), then the labour (inc oil change) and dyno time worked out to approx £300, which for all that work is an excellent price.

Definitely want to track it, but I was thinking i may take it to Santa Pod just to see what happens. I don't live to far from there, but Bedford Autodrome is close too

LSD is needed even more now. I haven't started to push the car anywhere near 60% in the corners yet. I expect when i start getting used to the power and using more of it in the corners, i will start slipping away

Brakes wise i am happy with the way the EBC Ultimax discs and yellowstuff pads performed. I also have SS brake lines and ATE Super Blue fluid. I did some very hard braking (bedding in stage) yesterday and the brakes were brutal Even after 10 stops (60mph-10mph) i did not feel any fade, which i'm suprised about. Perhaps once i start tracking it i will get a better idea of how this set up performs.

Rudz this was supposed to be my last mod before the baby arrives! So i don't think i will do any more for a while now. But the first things i want to do are rear aluminium bushes and an LSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
That's fucking mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Stabs the man he's good the stuff I git from him many moons ago was good transformed my old 330d, but Christ yours is in a different leaguethat cars gonna feel epic out on the road re M3's yer right you'll murder them in std spec the torque you've got is as you've stated by using the letters e.m.k.u.f and c to describe the arse dyno reaction is off the scale. Good preventive stuff done by removing the swirls it's a wise choice and also helps aswell as the car will be even if unfettled be a wise move for longevity and also throttle response all of which help

Bloody epic this for a diesel, wheels look sweet bad news re the splitter though
Yeah Stan does some amazing work and like yourself is very knowledgeable in his field. The team spirit is also very high there, everyone has that passion to finish and complete the job at the highest standard. Even if this means working late just to make the job 100%.

Throttle response is completely different to before. I was considering one of those throttle boxes, but would be silly to put that on now as there is no need. Whatever gear or engine speed you have, you will be pushed back hard!

My worry now is my license.

Yes the splitter was very annoying but at least the "bad" side to counter the
good wasn't any worse than that! i am a firm believer in when something really good happens and you are extremely happy, something bad happens as well. I was actually saying this to some of the guys at Ecotune (and Awbimmer) before i left. I knew something was coming, but i thought it may be a speeding ticket so i did 70mph all the way (apart from a few seconds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
Wow that's one hell of a machine! I wish I bought Ashleys one.
Which one was Ashley's? Was it the one recently advertised on here? If so i think it may be the previous record car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Mo
We were chatting throughout ..... This is purely insane!!! I love it. What a beast mode this car is now. remind me to move to the hard shoulder if I ever see you on the motorway lolll.

'Maaauve bitch get out the way'

It'll be v interesting to have a 3 month review and see how you and the car is getting on. How it's handling itself etc.

you'll be saying bye byes to a lot of other cars on the road not just M3s. ... take your pick now

Wheels looks dope as and u definitely need to call that company up and get a refund. I never liked them what with all the bad reviews people gave them.
Haha Sam, yes thanks for your assistance throughout! Very much appreciated mate.

I will keep this thread updated with anything that happens, hopefully it will be nothing.

Re the wheels, i am happier with them than the G Powers. This morning went out to have a look and i was like

Re the splitter, i will post pics and name and shame the retailer if they don't do anything for me. I had it fitted for about a week and it looks like it's been through hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwh85 View Post
you'll definitely blow an m3 mate, I had a play with a C63 coupe and was glued to his bumper and you have 50bhp/40lbt more than me.

You'll definitely need to get a lsd now. That's my next mod, I'd like to compare mine with yours just to see the difference between the power.

Nice work pal.
Thanks mate. Can't wait to try and see how other high performance cars match up!

Would be good to compare! I think peak figures are a bit useless, as you can have 600bhp for like 500 rpm and the rest could be really low. You should look at the whole rev range from 1k to 4.5k and look at the power and torque at different points, in effect the area under the curve (windymissile where are you!) Saying that i think i have more than 50bhp and 40ft.lbs than you peak wise, have a closer look at both dyno print outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Sounds incredible Mo, you really treated yourself! Shame about the splitter, but to be honest by the time I was reading the Ecotune bit I had completely forgotten about it! Great write up, I was gripped. Would love a ride in your car to see how it compares to a simple remap...
Yes was a very nice treat for myself It's truly transformed the car in ways i would have never dreamed of.

The splitter was a downer, but like you, i'm so happy about the Ecotune work that it's not bothered me too much! Maybe if it happened on it's own i would be very pissed off. But i will still chase the supplier up and try and get a refund.

If you are ever in the Northampton area it would be a pleasure to take you out for a spin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
Dammnnnn what a beast! Go on Mo! Enjoy my friend!!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #13
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Nice write up and what a beast.
Sounds like you were well looked after by Ecotune too.
Curious as to how much that little lot has set you back!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #14
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

I must say that I enjoyed reading this thread so well done on writing something interesting

All I can say it that you have modified the car tastefully. Nothing chavy!

And in terms of Power / performance, your D is winner.

Hope you keep your driving license clean after this and with the little one coming soon you may have to adapt your driving. I remember hooning my 330d and my daughter told me to behave!
      04-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #15
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
+1
      04-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Martin32
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Suzuki Swift Sport

Excellent write-up Mo.

From our previous chat is looks like the performance figures you achieved are beyond what you expected, in a good way.
Just shows these engines are very capable.

Think I might need to get myself back through to Stan for run on his new dyno - would only be fair for comparison reasons
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #17
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
+1
+2
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #18
AndyN
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i & E93 335i DCT

Garage List
2010 E93 335i DCT  [0.00]
2006 E92 335i  [0.00]
Looks great Mo, definitely get that LSD on your shopping list mate!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 11:11 AM   #19
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Wow..... this is a beast!

fantastic work!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

He did advertise it on here but he sold it to someone guy in Wales.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Well it wasn't cheap! The parts of the package come to roughly £2.6k. Thats the two hybrid turbos, intercooler and DPF delete pipe with a sports cat. Then £700 is the labour, custome remap and dyno time. You save £100 if you don't go for a sports cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
I must say that I enjoyed reading this thread so well done on writing something interesting

All I can say it that you have modified the car tastefully. Nothing chavy!

And in terms of Power / performance, your D is winner.

Hope you keep your driving license clean after this and with the little one coming soon you may have to adapt your driving. I remember hooning my 330d and my daughter told me to behave!
Thanks for your kind words Sam. I'm glad you like the modding on my car! Need to cone see you and the family sometime.

Yeah when my one comes i will have to change definitley. Would feel wrong to push the car with a baby in the back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin32 View Post
Excellent write-up Mo.

From our previous chat is looks like the performance figures you achieved are beyond what you expected, in a good way.
Just shows these engines are very capable.

Think I might need to get myself back through to Stan for run on his new dyno - would only be fair for comparison reasons
Forgot to say thanks to this man! Helped a lot in my choice making!

He has a new dyno? As far as i'm aware it's the same one just been moved a bit underground. Anyways i discussed the difference between our cars and it was definitely not the dyno. Stan seems to think the small turbo may be a bit different on mine, which would explain why my car has a lot more on the low end.

But would be great to see on yours how much power it has held over a year or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
Looks great Mo, definitely get that LSD on your shopping list mate!
Stop it! Need to stop spending on this car now. Spent £5k on suspension and this mod, god knows how much more on other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post
Wow..... this is a beast!

fantastic work!
Thanks. It is a beast! Feels a bit like a petrol the way the power is at the high end, really doesn't drop off.

I did some quick 0-60 runs using the torque app. Struggled with traction in 2nd gear, was weaving away. Best i got was 4.9s. I'm sure this could be improved upon by more practice, an LSD and wider tyres. But for the first time i'm happy i got less than 5s.

Also getting a lot of looks when i boot it from passers by. I think it's the sound
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #22
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Your car has more power below 2k than mine does at peak....

Seriously impressive! Be interested as to how drivable it is on the performance map.
Appreciate 0