E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Mob17's E92 335d - 422bhp - 1M BUMPER

04-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize
Your car has more power below 2k than mine does at peak....

Seriously impressive! Be interested as to how drivable it is on the performance map.
Thanks mate.

I have been driving it on the performance map since leaving ecotune So from Glasgow to Northampton and a bit of town driving.

It is truly a jekyl and hyde car. I can be driving around town very gingerly and the low end torque will subtly keep me going. Just as easy to drive slow as stock 335d. But putting your foot down just unleashes the loud angry monster!

I work monday-friday so will try the Eco map and see how it compares to my usual mpg.

It was a total shock to me, and Stan, of how much power it made throughout the range. I said to Stan you sure the dyno is right?

It may be because Turbo Dynamics may have altered the design of the small turbo recently, and sent Stan this batch, but I will get confirmation from him this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:21 AM   #24
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Damn Mo. Excellently done and a good route to have taken.

That's a good hardware upgrade and you've got a true solid base. I'll be interested to know the MOT side of it goes through ok with the removal of the dpf (even though you have a sports cat added in place).

Look forward to the review on track too and Pod. All that torque will equate to a huge amount of wheel spin lol. An LSD will help for the corners and bends but I recon better tyres will help with straight line traction.
      04-27-2015, 04:01 AM   #25
IceMan007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow, Mo! Car must be an animal.

Quick query though; You said you were concerned if the transmission would handle just a remap and dpf delete which would take you to approx 370bhp....

How the hell is the transmission going to cope (and last) with the torque you're now running??
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 04:11 AM   #26
dy63
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30

very very good write up. takes a lot to get me hooked and wanting to read more!

i bet it is an absolute weapon. I drove a friends 335d running around 340bhp on normal map and i thought it was deadly so yours must be something else.

wheels look good aswell. is the splitter off ebay? i was looking at one on there from a seller with not much feedback and didnt look great.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:13 AM   #27
IceMan007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Must be awesome to experience, but can't see how the transmission will last more than a week!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #28
Martin32
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Suzuki Swift Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
He has a new dyno? As far as i'm aware it's the same one just been moved a bit underground. Anyways i discussed the difference between our cars and it was definitely not the dyno. Stan seems to think the small turbo may be a bit different on mine, which would explain why my car has a lot more on the low end.

But would be great to see on yours how much power it has held over a year or two!
I thought they got a new 4wd dyno installed last year - maybe that was inaccurate information.
Your low down torque is massively impressive.

Yeah it would be interesting to see how the engine is doing now that it's about to hit 90k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan007 View Post
Must be awesome to experience, but can't see how the transmission will last more than a week!
I had the stage 3 kit installed in Nov 2013 and car achieved 602 lb-ft. ~23k miles later and no ill effects.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #29
AzRiz
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 LE500

The turbos upgrade was a great read, the new figures are amazing! I can only imagine how much of an animal your engine now is. Well done for doing it, you're clearly super happy with it so it was money well spent - no matter how much it was.

Enjoy it man

Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #30
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

COTM?
      04-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #31
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

Absolutely Bloody Amazing! Good on you to take a massive leap! This must be rapid rapid rapid!!!!

Considering the pricing… I think £700 on the labour is BLOODY CHEAP! Im tempted to take my car up there if they are already experienced with installing TD turbos!

Keep us posted on how it is running over the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #32
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Damn Mo. Excellently done and a good route to have taken.

That's a good hardware upgrade and you've got a true solid base. I'll be interested to know the MOT side of it goes through ok with the removal of the dpf (even though you have a sports cat added in place).

Look forward to the review on track too and Pod. All that torque will equate to a huge amount of wheel spin lol. An LSD will help for the corners and bends but I recon better tyres will help with straight line traction.
Thanks Raj. Your comments are appreciated!

I will too be interested at MOT time (Jan 2016). Last time i just had an advisory saying that a cover was blocking his view. If for some reason they see that it is removed (which they can't), then i will just have to find a friendly MOT guy, and i think i know one.

A lot of wheel spin Raj, i am finding it difficult at the moment to modulate the throttle to get the best traction. Sometime's i'm not pushing hard enough, and sometimes the rear weaves left and right when accelerating straight! I think an LSD should help with straight line traction as well as the bends.

Tire wise i have the best IMO, 275 Michelin PSS. I do have 10J rears now so next time i need them (which probably won't be too long) i will try 285 or even 295.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan007 View Post
Wow, Mo! Car must be an animal.

Quick query though; You said you were concerned if the transmission would handle just a remap and dpf delete which would take you to approx 370bhp....

How the hell is the transmission going to cope (and last) with the torque you're now running??
I didn't say i was concerned about if i got just a remap and dpf delete, i said i was concerned if i went over 700nm. But then i went for 835nm To be honest as i said, it's a calculated risk. I look after my car extremely well and i had some feedback from people that got this upgrade. I think martin32 has done quite a few miles since he had his done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupraraj View Post
very very good write up. takes a lot to get me hooked and wanting to read more!

i bet it is an absolute weapon. I drove a friends 335d running around 340bhp on normal map and i thought it was deadly so yours must be something else.

wheels look good aswell. is the splitter off ebay? i was looking at one on there from a seller with not much feedback and didnt look great.
Definitely feels like a weapon!

I think i'm growing to like these wheels a lot you know. I have had a lot of compliments from friends/colleagues.

Nope, splitter wasn't off eBay. I will phone the retailer tomorrow (no time today) and try and get a refund! If not then pics galore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin32 View Post
I thought they got a new 4wd dyno installed last year - maybe that was inaccurate information.

Yeah it would be interesting to see how the engine is doing now that it's about to hit 90k.
Apologies Martin, you are correct. They do have the 4wd dyno now, i assumed they had the 4wd dyno for a while, but now i remember they said it was quite recent.

I would love to see how yours performs on the dyno. Stan said today he is waiting to hear back from TD re the small turbo. But i wouldn't have thought the change in dyno would account for 150ft.lbs @ 1500 rpm? P.S don't take my record back

Have you done any extra preventative maintenance? ATF change? I did mine 10k ago, so may do another one after 40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
The turbos upgrade was a great read, the new figures are amazing! I can only imagine how much of an animal your engine now is. Well done for doing it, you're clearly super happy with it so it was money well spent - no matter how much it was.

Enjoy it man
Thanks Azriz. I was pushing it a bit harder today, and i'm pleased to report the Ohlins are performing just as well with the upgrade, but i will probably need to stiffen up the arms and bushes, and lsd. But too much money and i have none left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
COTM?
Car of the month? That's a big compliment mate. But i've always thought COTM were for car's that have been modded more to cosmetics and audio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndre335i View Post
Absolutely Bloody Amazing! Good on you to take a massive leap! This must be rapid rapid rapid!!!!

Considering the pricing… I think £700 on the labour is BLOODY CHEAP! Im tempted to take my car up there if they are already experienced with installing TD turbos!

Keep us posted on how it is running over the next few months.
Haha yeah its rapid rapid rapid!

Mate they are very experienced with TD turbos. IIRC they work with Turbo Dynamics as a partnership to develop turbos. They do have options for a 335i for 500bhp+

To be honest £700 wasn't just the labour, it's the labour, dyno time and the custom remap. There are places that charge over £700 for just a remap. So to me it was good value for money considering the prices of the parts. Might as well do it once!

Guys i have posted a new dyno run on the first page, may be a bit clearer now:

Also as i said earlier, i achieved a 0-60 of 4.9s:

I am sure the car has a lot more in it. Main issue for 0-60 is traction up to 30mph. I should really do 30-80mph or something, but i'm not sure if the torque app has that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #33
Martin32
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Suzuki Swift Sport

Quote:
I will too be interested at MOT time (Jan 2016).

Apologies Martin, you are correct. They do have the 4wd dyno now, i assumed they had the 4wd dyno for a while, but now i remember they said it was quite recent.

I would love to see how yours performs on the dyno. Stan said today he is waiting to hear back from TD re the small turbo. But i wouldn't have thought the change in dyno would account for 150ft.lbs @ 1500 rpm? P.S don't take my record back

Have you done any extra preventative maintenance? ATF change? I did mine 10k ago, so may do another one after 40k.
There should be no problems come MOT time - DPF is hidden; and the smoke test is conducted at low revs.

Yes the gulf in torque figures could be down to a hardware redesign, but also that no two engines are alike therefore you are always going to get differing results.

Preventative maintenace wise I have EGR delete and swirl flap blank (like yourself) and 10k engine oil changes. On the gearbox side I done a complete service (oil, sump pan and filter, mechatronic sleeve) at 57k which was just before my trip to Ecotune and for good measure did the same again at 80k. From now on I will revert to a 60k interval i.e. 120k, 180k...

I've only just discovered that BMW do a genuine fuel additive which I might try a couple bottles of. However with it being a direct injection engine and always run on vpower and good quality oil I doubt there will be any benefit.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #34
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

No words for this Mo!
How much torque???
i drove Sam's after his tune and that was quick. I really can't imagine what yours would be like.
Truely impressive!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 02:25 AM   #35
AirAndre335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Pre Lci

on your 0-60 run. Are you launching in 1st or 2nd?

You will get a better acceleration launching in second and just brake boost at around 2500rpm and GO GO GO
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #36
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There should be no problems come MOT time - DPF is hidden; and the smoke test is conducted at low revs.

Yes the gulf in torque figures could be down to a hardware redesign, but also that no two engines are alike therefore you are always going to get differing results.

Preventative maintenace wise I have EGR delete and swirl flap blank (like yourself) and 10k engine oil changes. On the gearbox side I done a complete service (oil, sump pan and filter, mechatronic sleeve) at 57k which was just before my trip to Ecotune and for good measure did the same again at 80k. From now on I will revert to a 60k interval i.e. 120k, 180k...

I've only just discovered that BMW do a genuine fuel additive which I might try a couple bottles of. However with it being a direct injection engine and always run on vpower and good quality oil I doubt there will be any benefit.
Same here, only V Power diesel. Think as long as oil changes are done under 10k and gearbox is serviced every 50-60k it should be ok!

Yeah i am not too sure about that fuel additive. The fuel and oil are good quality so i don't think it will add much. Only BMW can offer a fuel additive when it says no fuel additives in the fuel cap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
No words for this Mo!
How much torque???
i drove Sam's after his tune and that was quick. I really can't imagine what yours would be like.
Truely impressive!!
It is very quick, i can feel the torque in my whole body and just grip the wheel as tight as i can. It is also hard to judge the best launch as traction is a real issue. Around bends it also is very easy to slip the rear out. Desperately needs aluminium subframe bushes and an LSD but thats ££££ and i have none left

But once it is over 30mph it becomes very easy to launch very quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirAndre335i View Post
on your 0-60 run. Are you launching in 1st or 2nd?

You will get a better acceleration launching in second and just brake boost at around 2500rpm and GO GO GO
I launched in 2nd gear, 1st gear takes up too much time! Also brake boosting would probably not be a good idea as it would put a huge strain on my gearbox. Even at stock torque levels it's not the best!

if i did brake boost and i'm sure i would get a better time, but i want to look after the tranny! All i can do is more practice, more mods!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #37
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone going Santa Pod this Sunday?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #38
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Wow that's just sick! You must be well chuffed! Wish I chipped in that bit more and bought myself a 335

The guys at Ecotune are top notch, had my remap done by them earlier this year!

Enjoy it mate!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:57 PM   #39
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

wow, well done for spending all that money, must be hurting real bad now right!!

Me and you need to do a 1/4 mile run to see the difference between dieseal and petrol, i ran 415 last time with cosevative map on my FBO n54.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #40
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Quote:
cant do this sunday, car needs a full service and i still not have time to get it done yet
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:38 AM   #41
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
Wow that's just sick! You must be well chuffed! Wish I chipped in that bit more and bought myself a 335

The guys at Ecotune are top notch, had my remap done by them earlier this year!

Enjoy it mate!
Yeah the guys at Ecotune are great.

Very chuffed mate really enjoying it. Haven't taken it off the performance map yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
wow, well done for spending all that money, must be hurting real bad now right!!

Me and you need to do a 1/4 mile run to see the difference between dieseal and petrol, i ran 415 last time with cosevative map on my FBO n54.
Yeah would be great to go together and compare! But to be honest my launches are probably shite right now, need some practice under my belt.

You ran 415? What do you mean, bhp? Do you have an LSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
cant do this sunday, car needs a full service and i still not have time to get it done yet
I probably won't go either, rain is scheduled. I live only 10 miles from Santa Pod so will try and go in the coming weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #42
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Yeah it would be interesting to see how the engine is doing now that it's about to hit 90k
Hey Martin,

Apparantly Turbo Dynamics had a new supplier for the small turbo compresser wheel. Thats all they can think of as to why the low down torque is much higher.

Anyways would be interesting to see another dyno run of your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:33 PM   #43
Dan-danGT
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

Quote:
I could be interested in going to pod, obviously I don't know you but have the same interest and a bmw of course. Would love to take a look at this car up the strip if that's your plan. Also talk about it some more!

I am seriously considering trading my 330d for a 335d. That power and torque is absolutely savage!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #44
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

I'll race ya!