E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Halfords Clear Lacquer bad quality?

06-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320D ES

Halfords Clear Lacquer bad quality?

I just noticed that the lacquer I recently used on my car is going to sh1t.

This picture is the roof of my car. It was a stone-chip that I fixed. I didn't bother blending in because it was hardly noticeable but now (a few months later) it looks horrible. It was done with a three piece Halfords touch up kit.
But that lacquer looks like it's all dried out.

This one is the rear bumper near the edge of the boot lid. I sanded down and resprayed due to cracks in the paint from being pushed in. All done with rattle cans. It looked okay even though the paint colour didn't really match. I just washed it and where you see a spot there was something that looked like a small drop of seagull shit (I get seagull shit on my car every day living on the coast). I washed it off but the clear coat looks absolutely messed up. Could't have been there longer than a few days. And if you look around that mark the clearcoat looks like it's bubbling up. It's only been just over a month since I painted it. And it looked nice and shiny when it was just done. Now it looks horrible. But you can see the original clearcoat along the edge there looks fine.

What is going on? I'll have to redo it all but I need some good advice on this. I was about to clearcoat the rust blisters I'm repairing around the wheel arches but will have to delay it until I figure out what is wrong with my clearcoats.

Any ideas? Something I'm doing wrong or just bad quality lacquer?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

ive had a touch up kit from halfords for my focus st,,the one with paint/lacquer and primer..also the little rubbing stone/stickk..never had a problem with mine,,did you use primera nd paint? also did you flat the primer for the lacquer or did you just use lacquer?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
ive had a touch up kit from halfords for my focus st,,the one with paint/lacquer and primer..also the little rubbing stone/stickk..never had a problem with mine,,did you use primera nd paint? also did you flat the primer for the lacquer or did you just use lacquer?
That's what I used for my roof stone-chip. Used the stick to remove the paint (bad idea, you can see the scratches around the chip, best to use a Stanley knife, peel the paint with the tip), then cleaned out the rust and filled the area with primer. The next day filled it with paint and after another 24 applied a generous amount of lacquer (don't know what "flat the primer for the lacquer" means, I just squeezed the lacquer from the bottle onto the patch). I was going to blend it in but since it was hardly noticeable I just left it as it was.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadaska View Post
That's what I used for my roof stone-chip. Used the stick to remove the paint (bad idea, you can see the scratches around the chip, best to use a Stanley knife, peel the paint with the tip), then cleaned out the rust and filled the area with primer. The next day filled it with paint and after another 24 applied a generous amount of lacquer (don't know what "flat the primer for the lacquer" means, I just squeezed the lacquer from the bottle onto the patch). I was going to blend it in but since it was hardly noticeable I just left it as it was.
means rubbing the primer down so it can hold the paint..i put 3 coats on of each,,
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
tadaska
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
means rubbing the primer down so it can hold the paint..i put 3 coats on of each,,
I did that with the bumper, multiple coats, lots of sanding, took me weeks to finish it.

But not with the stone chip. I just filled a generous amount of each. But paint isn't peeling, it looks okay. Just the lacquer is gone all funny.
Appreciate 0