E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Thermostat location help

01-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by b21playa View Post
There's a guide recenlty been posted on here on how to change the thermostat.

Im hoping to do mine tomorrow morning.
Remember you'll need a Torx T45 for the exhaust manifold to EGR HX flange bolts. Don't think that is mentioned in the guide you reference. Both Torx are male, T20 & T45.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #24
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Did you supply the part? just wondering why it cost so much if that doesnt include price of the part?

I thought i would update this thread as for the past 2 days I have been trying to get my part back and did not want to write on here before a final outcome.

On Monday I went straight over after work and I spoke to the owner (whom I thought carried out the work on the Saturday). I explained as above that temp was still showing 79 degs and I had a look under the engine bay and the same part etc

His reaction was a shock when I showed him the pics of the old thermostat on the car and the "old" one he had given back to me on Saturday, which I pointed out the cobwebs/grit. He said he was very busy on the Saturday (I do back him up on this as I saw it cars were coming in left, right and centre) and he got someone in to help him to do the work and obviously "they" did not do the work. IMO I booked my car in a week ago for a Sat job and if he was going to be shorthanded, he should no have taken on more jobs on the day.

Anyway to give him his dues his immedieatly offered me the labour charge back but he said he doesnt know where my new part was and blaming the other "guy" who was meant to have worked on my car. So he said to ring back following day and if it cant be found he would get me a replacement.

Rang back the next morning, and was told he had found it, went again straight after work (20 mile trip from my work btw) and got there 4.40pm and only to see he had shut (even thought I told his receptionist that I would be there on the day to collect it)

So today I decided to go in my lunchtime today and pop in unannounced, and picked up my stat that was supposed to have been fitted on.

I am really dissapoimted with this gargae as he has a large customer base and do not understand why this has happened. was this done intentiinally or a simple mistake (I hope to think latter because he has worked well on my car before) but one thing for sure he has lost my custom as I cannot trust the garage.

Anyway thank you to everyone who advised it is much appreciated
and I will probably attempt to change the stat myself now at least I know it has been done correctly
Glad you got your money back....but very poor on the garage. a mistake or trying it on....guess we will never know.

Good luck on fitting it yourself!
      01-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

UPDATE

I managed to change the main thermostat on my car today with the help of my friend. total time it took was 5 hours (that included taking car out for a drive after and waiting 10 mins for it to cool down to re check the coolant levels.

Thanks to everyone who advised and I followed that guide through. As above you will need a T20 and T45 torx male bits, dont need a female torx bit. IMO I like to say I am fairly mechanically minded but this was a very fiddly job, especially trying to undo and do up the T45 torx bolts on the egr exhaust because you cant see what you are doing and once you drop the bolt it is lost and the under tray has to come off. So we spent more time here trying to be carefull not to sdop anything (but I did drop 2 torx bits which I will fish out tommorow)

In the end i lost most of the coolant but I bought new coolant. 2 litres neat coolant and 1 litre of water to top it back up.

Now the car runs bang on 90 degrees, it took 4-5 miles of driving (outside temp of 1 degree) for it to reach 90 degrees and it stayed 90 degrees when going down a NSL carriageway. only couple of times it reached 92 degrees when going up a steep hill.

So big thanks to everyone who helped and advised
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Well done, it's certainly a fiddly job, but if you are used to working blind on machinery and cars, the EGR bit isn't so difficult. Although my fingers aren't as nimble as when I was in the trade years ago.

I remember years back when still courting, I took the cylinder head off my wife's Mini, as it had a burned out valve. She reported to the British Leyland Dealer where she was a receptionist, that I was using two hands and two spanners at the same time, and had the whole thing stripped off in less than half an hour from starting the job. The garage offered me a job... never took it as I had moved on to other things.

I digress... Good to hear of another engine running proper coolant temperatures.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #27
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Pete for the advice, I ended up losing most of my coolant only that I could siphon out of the expansion tank (about 1.5/2 litres)

I too admit my fingers are not nimble as they use to be but working in 1 degree temps is not ideal but had imo had to be done. I dont know how long my stat hasnt been working since I have only in the past few weeks come to know about the hidden menu.

I will be taking it for a motorway run next week so will report back if i have any issues but I dont think there will be
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
shane55
First Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
UPDATE

I managed to change the main thermostat on my car today with the help of my friend. total time it took was 5 hours (that included taking car out for a drive after and waiting 10 mins for it to cool down to re check the coolant levels.

Thanks to everyone who advised and I followed that guide through. As above you will need a T20 and T45 torx male bits, dont need a female torx bit. IMO I like to say I am fairly mechanically minded but this was a very fiddly job, especially trying to undo and do up the T45 torx bolts on the egr exhaust because you cant see what you are doing and once you drop the bolt it is lost and the under tray has to come off. So we spent more time here trying to be carefull not to sdop anything (but I did drop 2 torx bits which I will fish out tommorow)

In the end i lost most of the coolant but I bought new coolant. 2 litres neat coolant and 1 litre of water to top it back up.

Now the car runs bang on 90 degrees, it took 4-5 miles of driving (outside temp of 1 degree) for it to reach 90 degrees and it stayed 90 degrees when going down a NSL carriageway. only couple of times it reached 92 degrees when going up a steep hill.

So big thanks to everyone who helped and advised
Great to hear you have completed the job with good results!...My mpg is up from 30mpg to 35mpg around city runs this week but have not been on any long trips to get the mpg in the 40's...
      01-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #29
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post
Great to hear you have completed the job with good results!...My mpg is up from 30mpg to 35mpg around city runs this week but have not been on any long trips to get the mpg in the 40's...
So far driving around town I have been getting 32.7mpg, whereas before it was 29.7mpg. The most I have ever seen on a motorway journey (constant 70mph crusie) was 37.4mpg so will be interesting to see what the figures are this time around.

Next on my list is to change the rear brake pads and the red boost pipe.
BTW has anyone changed the red turbo boost pipe themselves?

I tried once to remove it but could not undo the clip where it was attached onto the turbo so gave up and got the very same garage above to look at it (again I supplied the seals) but its already started leaking/misting oil (I am thinking again my parts/seals I supplied were not used)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #30
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI e60 535d msport

Changed mine yesterday as well, took me 2hour. Killed my back

All went well until right at the end, when I broke the bleed screw off the expansion tank and all the coolant pissed right out. I've had to seal the hole with jb weld until I manage to replace the tank
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Ive been in bed most of today because my back has absolutly killed lol (have had back probs in the past) and working in cold conditions dont think it did my back any good.

Just a thought, if you broke the bleed screw off the expansion tank, isnt that the same screw that is found on the bleed screw on egr thermostat? If you have replaced the EGR thermostat maybe you can take it off your old one?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #32
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn
Ive been in bed most of today because my back has absolutly killed lol (have had back probs in the past) and working in cold conditions dont think it did my back any good.

Just a thought, if you broke the bleed screw off the expansion tank, isnt that the same screw that is found on the bleed screw on egr thermostat? If you have replaced the EGR thermostat maybe you can take it off your old one?
I should have thought about that, ended up jb welding the hole as I need car for Monday.

Will have to replace the tank now
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #33
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Give Anneka a pm off here to see what sort of price they are?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Still loosing coolant, so will need to take apart to check hoses are clipped in correctly
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #35
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Still loosing coolant, so will need to take apart to check hoses are clipped in correctly
Check the hose that connects directly under the EGR exhaust, the first time I re connected the hose and jubilee clip (was working blind as its difficult to see without gaining acess under neath). I did up the clip and it was no where near on the connector and hose was lose
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #36
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Check the hose that connects directly under the EGR exhaust, the first time I re connected the hose and jubilee clip (was working blind as its difficult to see without gaining acess under neath). I did up the clip and it was no where near on the connector and hose was lose
Thanks

May get a chance in Sunday to undo a few bits to check where the leak is
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #37
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

also check (I know its a pain) but when i put the thermostat on I checked to make sure the rubber gasket was perfectly seated, might be an idea to check around the thermostat for leaks
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #38
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
also check (I know its a pain) but when i put the thermostat on I checked to make sure the rubber gasket was perfectly seated, might be an idea to check around the thermostat for leaks
Will do

Need to go and get some more coolant as well
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #39
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

I've ordered a new tank and when replacing (most likely Saturday), I'll take the egr cooler off again and check all connections etc

My interior fans have now packed up as well. Need to get it all sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #40
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Had a look today and it seems that water is leaking from the pipe that goes from the thermostat to the radiator

I think the push connector may not be in correctly
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #41
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Had a look today and it seems that water is leaking from the pipe that goes from the thermostat to the radiator

iirc thats the one i also had issue with pushing it back in because it would not go in all the way so had to twist and push it in
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

iirc thats the one i also had issue with pushing it back in because it would not go in all the way so had to twist and push it in
Just dropped the car into BMW for new front bumper after someone kindly reversed into it. They said they would have a look at it for me. Hopefully they fix it
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #43
mistryn
Colonel
Rep

Which dealer are you using just out if interest?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #44
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Which dealer are you using just out if interest?
Sytner solihull
Appreciate 0