E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why do a MHD backend flash on Jb4?

09-01-2019, 07:21 PM   #45
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Is there any benefit to doing the backend flash if you're just running straight MHD Stage 2+e85 or a custom MHD tune? I understand the benefits of if you are just running JB4 and need MHD for the DME, fuel trims etc.
The JB4 can be used with whatever flash you want. It's a tuning tool.

Wireless logging to your phone, in dash gauges, on the fly boost changes, advanced safety systems, E85 auto tuning, 2STEP/NLS, WMI control, etc, are among the many features.
Is there any other performance advantages if I'm not running meth as a controller, need gauges on my phone (with the MHD WiFi dongle coming out), or doing 2 stepping?

What are examples of the safety features?

I'm assuming for the E85 auto tune you need all the flex sensors and hoses?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #46
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Is there any other performance advantages if I'm not running meth as a controller, need gauges on my phone (with the MHD WiFi dongle coming out), or doing 2 stepping?

The JB4 monitors fuel trims in both banks and if the variance is too large will lower boost, if boost goes over a preset limit will lower boost, if air/fuel ratio in either bank goes lean will lower boost, etc. Same for fuel pressure and some other engine criteria. I've seen it save a few engines.

The E85 autotuning can use a virtual sensor or one of our physical sensors. The virtual sensor is +-10% resolution so it's OK for some but for the best experience I of course suggest our physical sensor kit.

One of the most popular JB4 features is the ability to change maps on the fly in dash. There is even a zero boost map in there you can toggle if you ever let a "friend" drive the car. You spend a little more on the JB4 hardware but then save on the mapping as BMS maps are all free/unlocked, and you don't need to purchase MHD maps or the logging package. The JB4 itself has resale value too so in the end it's really not any more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #47
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:

The JB4 monitors fuel trims in both banks and if the variance is too large will lower boost, if boost goes over a preset limit will lower boost, if air/fuel ratio in either bank goes lean will lower boost, etc. Same for fuel pressure and some other engine criteria. I've seen it save a few engines.

The E85 autotuning can use a virtual sensor or one of our physical sensors. The virtual sensor is +-10% resolution so it's OK for some but for the best experience I of course suggest our physical sensor kit.

One of the most popular JB4 features is the ability to change maps on the fly in dash. There is even a zero boost map in there you can toggle if you ever let a "friend" drive the car. You spend a little more on the JB4 hardware but then save on the mapping as BMS maps are all free/unlocked, and you don't need to purchase MHD maps or the logging package. The JB4 itself has resale value too so in the end it's really not any more expensive.
Appreciate the response. That justifies the JB4 IMO. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 08:49 AM   #48
Vic Mach
Registered
Rep

I'm kinda new to this. But can you explain the jb4 setting and map you are using.. I've seen a few videos and threads of people saying you had to be on map 2 for mhd bef to work properly. I'd much rather use 5 and have it auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSully96 View Post
5/19/18 UPDATE AFTER MHD PUMP BEF: Editing this post because this needs to be said. A few hours ago I did the pump bef via mhd and all I have to say is: My. God. After a little driving and giving the car time to re adapt map 5 and dial everything in, I am in shock at the difference this made. Responsiveness, smoothness, faster spool + a couple more pounds of boost, and the car throws me even further into the back seat! If anyone ever is on the fence about doing a BEF, there is no reason to wait or debate it. The outcome is UNREAL! Couldnt be happier!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2023, 06:26 PM   #49
dmckmc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i E60 (2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mach View Post
I'm kinda new to this. But can you explain the jb4 setting and map you are using.. I've seen a few videos and threads of people saying you had to be on map 2 for mhd bef to work properly. I'd much rather use 5 and have it auto.
you're confusing Menu settings and MAP settings.

From the JB4tech website:

What do menu 4/2, 4/3 and 4/4 in dash do and which one should I select?

Menu4 allows you to tell the JB4 whether you are running on the factory flash tuning (4/3 DEFAULT SETTING), a JB4 back end flash map (4/2), or want to run flash only (4/4) with the JB4 providing gauges and/or boost targeting only.
Appreciate 0