E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My BMW Remote App Trouble

02-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
richpike
Captain
Rep
Drives: MDX, LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklamerus328xi View Post
Thanks for the advice. This may be a dumb question but does the iDrive need to be active and the car be on? Or can you send to the car and the information will be there when you get in the car. Also, when it does show up, what happens? Is it simply in your navigation or do I find what was sent somewhere else?
No, iDrive does not need to be active and the car can be off. The information will be there the next time you start your car. To see it, go in to your iDrive and go to BMW Assist and then to "Messages". It should be right there (at least on my 2010 it is).

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #24
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Thank goodness I still had my old .ipa for this app. Deleted the 2.0 and I'm back in business.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #25
richpike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Thank goodness I still had my old .ipa for this app. Deleted the 2.0 and I'm back in business.
Smart. I'm assuming you have to be jailbroken to reload that?

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

Seems to work fine for me in my 2011 328xi (with latest software update). Locks and unlocks, - map gets sent fine. The only "issue" that I have is that when I go to find my car the location of the car itself isn't overly accurate but I haven't played with it much.
Worked fine with the UK version and then when I deleted that and added the US version it also seems to work fine.

Lucky for me.
      02-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
jklamerus328xi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I spoke with BMW Assist today because I wasn't able to Lock my car or send info from the app to my car. Seems there are a few versions of BMW software in the iDrive system for 2008 cars. Though my iDrive software is up-to-date it still isn't able to receive message from the app or lock my car. So in the end, the only function I can do from the app is unlock the car and I can send info from google maps but not the iPhone app. Better than nothing….
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
richpike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklamerus328xi View Post
I spoke with BMW Assist today because I wasn't able to Lock my car or send info from the app to my car. Seems there are a few versions of BMW software in the iDrive system for 2008 cars. Though my iDrive software is up-to-date it still isn't able to receive message from the app or lock my car. So in the end, the only function I can do from the app is unlock the car and I can send info from google maps but not the iPhone app. Better than nothing….
If you can send from google maps, I see no reason why the app won't work to send info (eventually). I firmly believe there is a bug in the new app - I'd keep an eye out for an update and then try again.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #29
blue1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I could never get the UK version to work. Today I downloaded the US version, locked the app the first time and then realized I had to use caps for my email, one I did this and used the new password I gave BMW Assist it worked first time. I now can lock/unlock and send maps. Finally I have the app working. I have a March 2010 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #30
jklamerus328xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpike View Post
If you can send from google maps, I see no reason why the app won't work to send info (eventually). I firmly believe there is a bug in the new app - I'd keep an eye out for an update and then try again.

-Rich
I agree. There seems to be no reason that I can't send from my iPhone but I can send from google maps. I'm sure they'll update it. I also find it odd that I can unlock but not lock my doors. BMW Assist says its because of when my car was made. Stands to reason if my car can read an "unlock" signal it can understand a "lock" signal too. I think they'll work it all out. BMW Assist did say the majority of all calls they've been getting lately are solely about the BMW Remote app. Out of sheer irritation they'll put out a functioning update to stop the calls from coming in!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #31
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklamerus328xi
Yep, same here. Not worth biting at a software "upgrade" for a car I'm dumping in August.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #32
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

So here's an error I've not seen posted.

I finally (took two tries over the past 4 days) got Assist to reset my "locked out" account. Now I can finally log in, but get this error.

Name:  IMG_4925.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  63.1 KB

I've looked for the "ConnectedDrive portal" but can't find anything (via Google) that's in the US. Logging in to the UK/euro portal does nothing. I get a blank screen.

I suppose I could call Assist back again tomorrow...but this is all getting rather pointless.

fwiw, I have the US App Store app. I have had the UK version for months but could never get that to even let me log in. I do seem to have gotten a bit farther with the US app, but apparently not far enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #33
TheSubmariner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Monaco Blue 'vert

I, too used the old UK version before. Worked well. then I upgraded to 2.0 and it just craps out as was eloquently explained in other prior posts.

Perchance, I looked at my Recycle Bin on my PC and lo and behold, there was the old UK version sitting there. Looks like iTunes dumps out the old version when upgrading. So I did the following:

1) Went to my iTunes directory where the newer version of the app was (done by right clicking on the app in the App folder in the Library in iTunes), and moved it out to the Desktop - as a backup.
2) Restored the old version from the Recycle Bin which put it back in the above folder.
2b) Went to the iPhone and deleted the new app (done by holding down the icon until it squiggles then clicking the 'x'.
3) Dragged the old app over from the Library folder to the iPhone under Devices - and it copied it back to the Phone
Presto! Old version back on the phone. Works just fine now.

None of that dreaded 'Cannot connect' crap I was getting with the new version.
Tried it a couple of times, Vehicle locate, Lock/Unlock Google maps send to phone - no problem.

Ill stick with the old UK version until they fix the bug with the newer one. ...

Last edited by TheSubmariner; 02-20-2012 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: forgot step 2b.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #34
richpike
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSubmariner View Post
I, too used the old UK version before. Worked well. then I upgraded to 2.0 and it just craps out as was eloquently explained in other prior posts.

Perchance, I looked at my Recycle Bin on my PC and lo and behold, there was the old UK version sitting there. Looks like iTunes dumps out the old version when upgrading. So I did the following:

1) Went to my iTunes directory where the newer version of the app was (done by right clicking on the app in the App folder in the Library in iTunes), and moved it out to the Desktop - as a backup.
2) Restored the old version from the Recycle Bin which put it back in the above folder.
2b) Went to the iPhone and deleted the new app (done by holding down the icon until it squiggles then clicking the 'x'.
3) Dragged the old app over from the Library folder to the iPhone under Devices - and it copied it back to the Phone
Presto! Old version back on the phone. Works just fine now.

None of that dreaded 'Cannot connect' crap I was getting with the new version.
Tried it a couple of times, Lock/Unlock Google maps send to phone - no problem.

Ill stick with the old UK version until they fix the bug with the newer one. ...
You sir, are the MAN! I'll try this right now. Brilliant.

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #35
TheSubmariner
Private
Rep

Here is the old UK version if you need it.

I had to rename it to a .pdf file to get it to upload. Download it and rename it to a .ida

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Remote 1.0.5.pdf (1.82 MB, 140 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #36
richpike
Captain
Rep

Worked like a champ! I'm just pissed that I didn't think to do this

Thanks again! Great first post

-Rich
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #37
TheSubmariner
Private
Rep

No problem Rich, Glad it worked out for you....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I used to wonder what my car did all day when I parked it in NJ and hopped on the train to NYC, like I did this morning. Now, thanks to this awesome app, I know it follows me to work and is parked inside of my building!
Attached Images

02-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #39
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

This 12 hr password reset window is bullshit. What kind of backwards system are they running that after your password is reset, you can't use your login for 12 hrs?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
jklamerus328xi
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher5 View Post
This 12 hr password reset window is bullshit. What kind of backwards system are they running that after your password is reset, you can't use your login for 12 hrs?
When they reset my password it didn't take 12 hours. I was told 15 minutes by the person at BMW assist. In actuality, I had it working again in 3 hours at the max.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

From one whose seems to work..

The problem really starts with the salesperson at the dealership. My salesperson, and it sounds like others, don't really know how to set up BMW assist in the first place. Mine had me give a password but never asked for an email. When I asked how google maps get sent he said he didn't know but maybe you had to put VIN into field. Fortunately, the BMW assist people knew I needed email to send maps - and set mine up for me when I called the day after I picked up the car.
If sales people set up things correctly in the first place many of these issues people have wouldn't have happened at all.
I haven't tried parking in NJ and seen if my car follows me to NY. The product description says you have to be within .6 miles (1 km) for the search for car to work. Maybe when you get further away the car just follows you.
      02-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #42
fatass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

TheSubmariner - YAY! You are the man. High five!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #43
jsunma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 328iT 6MT RWD

Well, an update... After calling BMW NA, it seems that the error I posted the pic of, above, is due to the fact that my 2/2008 car is too old to be used with this app. Rather than just telling you that directly, the app instead lets you log in, but then says "No Activated Services" because it cannot communicate with the car (because the car is earlier than the cutoff date of 3/2008). No one seems to know what the business about going to the ConnectedDrive portal is. But there is not such a thing for North America at least.

Oh well.

Now, does anyone know what tweaks to the telematics hardware (car's) were made starting in 3/2008? As has been noted elsewhere in one of these threads, remote unlock IS available on these older cars if BMW initiates it...so if it can be done that way, how come it can't be done via this app?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #44
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunma View Post
Well, an update... After calling BMW NA, it seems that the error I posted the pic of, above, is due to the fact that my 2/2008 car is too old to be used with this app. Rather than just telling you that directly, the app instead lets you log in, but then says "No Activated Services" because it cannot communicate with the car (because the car is earlier than the cutoff date of 3/2008). No one seems to know what the business about going to the ConnectedDrive portal is. But there is not such a thing for North America at least.

Oh well.

Now, does anyone know what tweaks to the telematics hardware (car's) were made starting in 3/2008? As has been noted elsewhere in one of these threads, remote unlock IS available on these older cars if BMW initiates it...so if it can be done that way, how come it can't be done via this app?
From what I can tell, you really aren't missing too much. I am not very impressed with this app and what it does.