E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > CIC to CIC Swap Issues

08-13-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
hotbox
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335is

Exclamation CIC to CIC Swap Issues

Hey all,

So my factory CIC unit failed on me (reboots endlessly), so I got a new CIC from a donor car with a similar production date as mine.

I went through NCSExpert to read my original VO, but it didn't look right since I have top_HIFI and I didn't see $676 in the FA.

For shits and giggles I installed the new CIC anyways and I checked the VO for that, and it was the same as what my original unit read out. Is there something wrong with the software I am using? Maybe its just me?

Also, the radio and PDC stopped working, but I assume that is because the donor car must not have had those options. I tried to add $676 to the VO and I kept getting different errors.

Should I try a different source to download the software and try again or am I having bigger issues?? Or am I just doing it all wrong
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbox View Post
Hey all,

So my factory CIC unit failed on me (reboots endlessly), so I got a new CIC from a donor car with a similar production date as mine.

I went through NCSExpert to read my original VO, but it didn't look right since I have top_HIFI and I didn't see $676 in the FA.

For shits and giggles I installed the new CIC anyways and I checked the VO for that, and it was the same as what my original unit read out. Is there something wrong with the software I am using? Maybe its just me?

Also, the radio and PDC stopped working, but I assume that is because the donor car must not have had those options. I tried to add $676 to the VO and I kept getting different errors.

Should I try a different source to download the software and try again or am I having bigger issues?? Or am I just doing it all wrong
Read VO from CAS or FRM, then default code CIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
hotbox
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Read VO from CAS or FRM, then default code CIC.
I was reading VO from CAS, and FRM matched CAS for VO. What do you mean by default code CIC?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
I was reading VO from CAS, and FRM matched CAS for VO. What do you mean by default code CIC?
What profiles do you have listed in NCS? You should have 2 profiles. One for standard feature coding and then one for resetting to factory defaults based on the VO.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #5
hotbox
United_States
Rep

I have these profiles:

Default profile
Expert Mode
Factory Reset
Feature Coding
FSW PSW MAN

I was using Expert mode, but is that wrong??
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #6
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have these profiles:

Default profile
Expert Mode
Factory Reset
Feature Coding
FSW PSW MAN

I was using Expert mode, but is that wrong??
Use Factory Reset and code CIC. That should do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
hotbox
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Use Factory Reset and code CIC. That should do it.
Thanks! I'll try that later tonight
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
hotbox
United_States
Rep

I tried again tonight, and the VO is the same under Factory Reset, still no $676 listed even though it already exists.

Should I delete all files and try to re-install NCSExpert or is there something wrong with my CIC??
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Joe@TopGearSolutions
Major
Rep

Quote:
I tried again tonight, and the VO is the same under Factory Reset, still no $676 listed even though it already exists.

Should I delete all files and try to re-install NCSExpert or is there something wrong with my CIC??
Install team viewer and pm me your info, and I'll remote in.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If donor cic headinit is older than the production date of your car then it’s simple to get it working with your FSC codes. If donor unit production date is newer than it will be much harder to get it working as you need to de-virginize the unit so it will accept your fsc codes.

If you VO code it to your car you will have it working but there will be no navigation or voice control or bmw apps if you had that.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
hotbox
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
If donor cic headinit is older than the production date of your car then it’s simple to get it working with your FSC codes. If donor unit production date is newer than it will be much harder to get it working as you need to de-virginize the unit so it will accept your fsc codes.

If you VO code it to your car you will have it working but there will be no navigation or voice control or bmw apps if you had that.
I don't know the production dates of the CIC units themselves, but the donor car was manufactured in February of 2011 and my car was manufactured in May of 2011.

I figured out my main issue by decoding my Vin, I don't have $676 (Top HiFi) my car has $688 (Harman Kardon).

So I guess I still don't understand how to proceed

I miss having a radio and navigation, I just want my car to be normal again lol!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 06:44 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I don't know the production dates of the CIC units themselves, but the donor car was manufactured in February of 2011 and my car was manufactured in May of 2011.

I figured out my main issue by decoding my Vin, I don't have $676 (Top HiFi) my car has $688 (Harman Kardon).

So I guess I still don't understand how to proceed

I miss having a radio and navigation, I just want my car to be normal again lol!
Then you are good to go. It should be relatively easy swap of your original FSC code then since your car has a newer production date then the donor cic headunit

You don’t need to change anything on your VO as after you import your FSC code all you have do is default code the headinit to your vehicle order

This job requires someone who is experienced. Try hitting up Joe@topgearsolution. He should be able to provide you service to get you up and running.

Last edited by cn555ic; 08-15-2018 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 1